Sponsored by:

replacing my 260bhp ep3 track car

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2015, 11:29 AM
hartlepool_jono
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing my 260bhp ep3 track car

So guys i am just in the process of selling my honda ep3 track car. I hadnt intended to but i got offered a good price for it. So decided to have a change. My thoughts are now going towards an sti. Maybe bug or blob eye. My question is will i be disapointed, suprised, pleased etc. My honda never missed a beat. And it perfomed great on track. Can i expect similar reliability. What model should i be looking for? Also any mods i should be going towards or staying away from. Any suggestions or help most appreciated. Similarly if you know anyone selling in north east area i would be keen to hear from them. Ideally road legal to get to and from tracks
Old 16 June 2015, 11:58 AM
Dibbles00
Scooby Regular

I had a charged ep3 Premier edition and I totally love my JDM Widetrack Blob, but still miss the ep3 loads.
The Impreza is very different to the ep in lots of ways. Here are just a few: 1) It feels so much better with bags of torque (even though my ep was charged). 2) Not as forgiving to drive 3) sticks to the road like glue 4) Is very rare 5) People stop and talk to you at petrol stations 6) Looks really nice in white 7) Costs more to insure a pretty much standard JDM than a heavily modified ep with all mods declared 8) Worse on fuel than a charged ep3 9) Don't see may of them around nowadays and 10) 4 wheel drive
Old 16 June 2015, 01:32 PM
hartlepool_jono
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. Insurance with all mods declared for my ep3 was only just over 300. (mid 30s married dad of 3) heard the jdm is the one to go for as it has stronger engine and components over the uk one. Is that right. Mine wasnt charged but had tdi stage 1 cams. Header manifold de cat full exhaust throttle body coilovers roll cage buckets etc. I would have said it was a lot quicker than standard wrxs easily. Gonna be keeping my eyes open for a decent one with maybe some decent upgrades. Guessing i looking maybe 7k? What would that get me do you think?
Old 16 June 2015, 04:19 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Ive had 2 ep3 type rs and great fun. Would have one as a track car allday long. But as a daily the impreza is much more easier to live with more so in wet conditions. Do miss v tec scream tho
Old 16 June 2015, 04:22 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We have EP3 which is running sidewinder turbo kit with 35R and should be running around 450bhp when will be mapped this month,we are previously have turbo kit fitted on EP3 with Syvecs ECU and must admit,EP3 with 352bhp(382BHP on 18% meth at 14.5psi and still on 2.25" exhaust) hasn't been slouch,but still I've missed on EP3 feel of torque,4WD(we are have wheel spin in 3rd on Toyo R888) and mainly EP3 doesn't feel so solid as Subaru

Now about the Subaru,you will be very surprised how it feels on road and how it holds on wet or dry and very pleased how it drives,I would go with JDM Bugeye STI if budget is OK(I've seen few of them around £7k and Blobeye JDM STI usually goes around £9-£12k)

Agree about the JDM,they are better and feels better and mainly engines are bit stronger plus DCCD is great thing to have

I wouldn't go with WRX,if you are looking to modify,then I would go with STI,those engines(2.0L) will be OK for about 400-450bhp(JDM you should be able to push to 500bhp) and mainly STI is equipped with Brembo,6 speed(I personally prefer 5speed) etc

Hope this helps there

Thanks,Jura
Old 16 June 2015, 08:34 PM
hartlepool_jono
Scooby Regular

Thanks for comments guys. The impreza would be a. Third car so only road driving it would see is to and from track. My pal has just turbod his which is half the reason i accepted the lads offer, asbi know he would leave me standing. Think his is about 350 but its top spec. Hoping the sti will be as quick ideally quicker lol.
Old 16 June 2015, 08:40 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I have an impreza track car myself (2003 wrx (no wrx parts left apart from steering rack)) and if I was starting again, I would most definitely _NOT_ go down the impreza route. They are capable on track, but they're really expensive to run for the performance.

I realistically spend about 5-600 quid on a track day (including tyres, brakes, petrol, servicing items, track fees etc), which is a lot of money, so I haven't been as often as I would have liked.

Contrast that to my friend in his Caterham R400, who spends about half of that in a car that is realistically as fast as almost any impreza.

If I didn't have a car already, and was looking at getting one, I'd seriously look at Westfields or Elises. Fastest car I've seen on track so far was a well driven elise at brands hatch (not sure on exact model)... There's a lot to be said for being lightweight
Old 16 June 2015, 08:47 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hartlepool_jono
Thanks for comments guys. The impreza would be a. Third car so only road driving it would see is to and from track. My pal has just turbod his which is half the reason i accepted the lads offer, asbi know he would leave me standing. Think his is about 350 but its top spec. Hoping the sti will be as quick ideally quicker lol.
Hi there

If you will be getting STI,then you should be able to reach 350bhp quiet easily,simple remap(OS remap cost £350) and decatted exhaust(£250) and you will make close to 350bhp or 350bhp

350bhp in Subaru is nice power and should be good starting point and with that power you should be match to yours friend EP3,in damp and wet condition you should spank him with STI

I always recommend to go firstly with suspension then power,good anti roll bars and few other suspension parts will make car handle like dream and power is easy addictive,with simple turbo upgrade and bigger injectors and you can run easily 450bhp,its nice when you can up the power if you want,not like with EP3 which is in stock NA and making from that car turbo or SC cost crazy money and K-pro on top,its not cheap and plus LSD etc,you know what I mean there

With Subaru you will be only happy and you will love it

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura