Sponsored by:

What mod next?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2015, 09:05 PM
LukeSTI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mod next?

I'm at a point where I'm getting a few different bits of advice and not sure which way to go next. I have a full turbo back decat exhaust. Panel filter. Wallbro fuel pump. Perrin turbo inlet manifold. Pink stuff clutch. Lightened flywheel. And recently mapped by Andy carr. Had people suggesting new turbo (I disagree but am open to reasons why). Bigger injectors. Headers.

Car is a blob eye prodrive STI MY04.

What are people opinions? Maybe there is a fourth option I haven't thought of?

Cheers in advance
Old 26 May 2015, 09:55 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LukeSTI
I'm at a point where I'm getting a few different bits of advice and not sure which way to go next. I have a full turbo back decat exhaust. Panel filter. Wallbro fuel pump. Perrin turbo inlet manifold. Pink stuff clutch. Lightened flywheel. And recently mapped by Andy carr. Had people suggesting new turbo (I disagree but am open to reasons why). Bigger injectors. Headers.

Car is a blob eye prodrive STI MY04.

What are people opinions? Maybe there is a fourth option I haven't thought of?

Cheers in advance

A very wise man once told me: "Son, if you have to ask somebody what mod you should do next, you're not ready to do your next mod!"

I think the point was/is: mods are personal things, it's your car and your car only, so only do the mods you want to do, not what somebody else tells you.

Or maybe I just made that up. Who knows!?
Old 26 May 2015, 10:05 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea what power you're at?

Turbo will be holding you back currently. Standard injectors can do high 300s, as can headers and TMIC.

Turbo makes the most sense if it's power you want.

Alternatively, suspension/brakes?
Old 26 May 2015, 11:01 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what you have is basically entry level mods so your VF35 turbo is the limiting factor, as said above.

Your injectors, headers and intercooler will all see close to 400bhp, your clutch and box will handle it so the logical step is a turbo upgrade. Possible choices being a T36 from Enginetuner, TD05-18g, one of the MD range or and SC40/42.

As also mentioned, decent brake pad/disc combination, arb's/drop links and a decent ecu (alcatek or syvecs) would also be good choices dependant on budget
Old 27 May 2015, 08:15 AM
LukeSTI
Scooby Newbie

Well colour me wrong. it made 322 on the day due to a blow in the exhaust before the turbo. But from where the flat came. Andy said it will run 340s he was kind enough to say bring it back when fixed and he would rr it again for free. But he said the map was right for it and he spent ages adjusting the map to get the most out of it. Couldn't recommend him enough. So turbo. I'm kind of glad people are recommending it actually. I'll get the lads at cams rang. I'm guessing labour wise it's easy. Especially for them. It's just the price of the turbo and I'll get Andy to tweak the map accordingly. What kind of prices am I looking at for these kind of turbos?
Old 27 May 2015, 09:59 AM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a decent turbo you're looking at 1k + fitting as an average.

You're about to find out that the quest to push past the 350 barrier is an expensive one.
Old 27 May 2015, 10:04 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently made 400 on a TD0520G, it cost me about £450 second hand plus £200 to have the compressor wheel swapped out for a billet one.

However, in addition to that I had 1000cc injectors, parallel fuel rails+aFPR, FMIC, RCM Headers, etc.

The turbo alone without any of that extra expense would probably be good for 370-385 or so, I got all the other stuff for future proofing...