Sponsored by:

Insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2015, 01:20 PM
Mortster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance question

My Bug was in a minor RTA on Saturday ( other drivers fault ) and needs a new Bumper, nearside wing, and headlight. Wheel rim looks slightly bashed too.

My insurance ( Admiral ) without even looking at the car ( I offered photos ) said its a write off.

I said I wasn't accepting that, as its all repairable.

Where do I go from here?

Last time I had to deal with Insurance was in the early 90's and Adrian Flux roggered me with a total loss on a RS1.
Old 25 May 2015, 01:34 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look at getting a quote to repair it and go from there.
Old 25 May 2015, 02:38 PM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what is called in the industry a "fast track total loss".
If the car is 10 years or older this will happen.

As mentioned, find out how much the repair cost is vs how much they value your car (you will probably need to argue the value anyway, so be prepared for a fight and get all the evidence to prove your car is worth how much you think it is).

Don't instantly assume the Insurer's repair cost is inflated, but do get your own quotes if you doubt it.

To keep it off MIAFTA record ask about Cash-in-lieu settlement. That way you get the money, up to the value, but they don't write it off and add the car to MIAFTA. They might not go for it.

Good luck with settlement, I'm sure there will be people who can help with gathering the evidence to help prove your car is worth what it is worth.

And don't insure with Admiral - they may be cheap, but they suck (and I know this point isn't much help to you right now, sorry about that).
Old 25 May 2015, 05:56 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can get a quote to fix it cheaper then the write off value they offer then they will probably do a contracted repair (not sure what its really called). But basically they offer £3000 for the car. You find a bodyshop that will do the repair for £2500. The insurer pays the bodyshop £2500 and that's the end of the claim. You don't then have a written off car.

Also I would source the parts yourself from breakers as most body shops are going to factor in new parts which will blow the cost sky high.

If your car is written off be aware that you now need to travel to your nearside vosa station for an identity check when its fixed.... I had to travell 35miles to my nearest, pay £40 and wait a month! And all they do is open the bonnet and look at the VIN number... which proves nothing! Total con but something to be aware of as you can't retax the car without the check.