Bang then squeal from from wheel

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2015, 11:14 PM
TJDan
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bang then squeal from from wheel

Good evening all,

First a bit of background... On Wednesday I was taking a drive through the Galloway Forest and hit a pothole in the middle of the road resulting in a bone-shaking rattle through the car. I stopped and found a lovely bulge in the front nearside tyre

So I changed the wheel there and then. The spacesaver wheel really isn't a good look!

Got all four tyres changed the next day - Falken Azenis 453s all round at £85 a corner. The affected wheel was very slightly buckled, it has balanced out fine and have been assured it's totally safe to keep on the road. Took a wee run up to Glasgow the following day and when making a tight right hand turn I heard a bang followed by squealing noise from the same wheel with the damaged tyre. The noise lasted for about 10 seconds and was then gone. It did it again, but only once, on my return home - again at low speed and turning right. There is no noise at any other time, not even grinding.

I'm thinking the bearing has given up following the pothole and has decided to let me about it a few days later. Am I right or has something more serious happened? I'm asking here first before I get it booked in to get looked at. The car won't be driven until it gets sorted. Follwing this a claim is going into South Ayrshire Council

Many thanks in advance...
Old 18 May 2015, 04:40 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fairly sure they will only pay out if the hole had already been reported and they hadn't got around to sorting it. Has to be measured and photographed too.

I would be checking the bearing, drive shaft, wishbone, drop links, ball joints and track rods.
Old 18 May 2015, 11:27 AM
TJDan
Scooby Newbie

OK, thanks. I'll get it booked in soonest as it could well be a number things.

I've got a photo from the dashcam but haven't been out to measure and take close up photos. It's on a narrow twisty bit of road and not safe to do so. I'll fire in a claim anyway, you never know!
Old 18 May 2015, 11:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My council paid for the broken springs on my Astra, but only because I had reported the state of the road before and they hadn't got round to doing anything.
Old 18 May 2015, 08:53 PM
TJDan
Scooby Newbie

The road is in a bad way and has been for a long time. I did inform the council when I got back through their automated reporting on their website. Still, I'll fire in a claim - nothing ventured and all that!