Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forester STI Service History - How Important is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2015, 08:37 PM
amb67
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forester STI Service History - How Important is it?

Forester STI Service History - How Important is it?

Just been to look at a 2004 Forester STI and it was in really good condition for the year. It's just been imported and is not registered in the UK yet, it has 94,000 Km on the clock.

However, I have a small issue over the cars service history, the problem is it really doesn't have any. The seller has said it will be serviced once sold and the cam belt will be replaced.

Should I be happy with that or should I be worried that it has no service history?

Thanks

Alan
Old 05 April 2015, 09:09 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

The fact that your asking if its ok should give you the answer?

Cracks me up when dealers say it will be fully checked and serviced upon sale........Like thats gonna fettle it.
Old 05 April 2015, 09:09 PM
Zuber
Scooby Regular

Unless you can read Japanese the service history is pointless as it could be for any car or totally made up! More importantly what auction grade is it, or if it hasn't got an auction grade and has been purchased through a dealer in Japan what does the report say? Has it a BIMTA mileage certificate for mileage?
Old 05 April 2015, 09:19 PM
amb67
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by poolio74
The fact that your asking if its ok should give you the answer?

Cracks me up when dealers say it will be fully checked and serviced upon sale........Like thats gonna fettle it.
You're right, I know I should really walk away but the bodywork/interior was in really good condition. It appeared to have been well looked after in Japan.

Originally Posted by Zuber
Unless you can read Japanese the service history is pointless as it could be for any car or totally made up! More importantly what auction grade is it, or if it hasn't got an auction grade and has been purchased through a dealer in Japan what does the report say? Has it a BIMTA mileage certificate for mileage?
It was grade 4, I saw the pink certificate in the glove box. Didn't see any BIMTA certificate, however the wear levels on the interior are commensurate with the displayed mileage. IMO
Old 05 April 2015, 09:40 PM
themaskedunit
Scooby Regular

grade 4 is pretty good. i bought my mr2 turbo on a grade 4 and it was nigh perfect. how much is being asked for it if you dont mind? i bought my scooby with no service history bar a receipt for the cambelt and clutch from a reputable dealer (at the right money) and its been excellent, although thats no proof that its always going to be like that with most cars.....
Old 05 April 2015, 09:47 PM
amb67
Scooby Newbie

The asking price is £8995 but I've never paid an asking price and was looking at paying no more than £8K.

Been looking around at Forester STI's and most are around the £8 - £10K price bracket.
Old 06 April 2015, 09:15 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

If it's Prodrift you're considering buying the car from then you'll have no problems with them.

I've bought 3 JDM imports and they don't all come with service history books but check the engine bay, glove box etc for service stickers which for some reason the Japanese love to place in random positions about the car.

My recent purchase from Prodrift did come with a stamped service book plus all the stickers in the usual random positions about the car.

Just get the car fully serviced and inspected before you start using it, that's what I've had done and I'm very happy with my purchase from Prodrift.

Trending Topics

Old 06 April 2015, 03:45 PM
amb67
Scooby Newbie

It was Prodrift, however I'm going to skip that one as it didn't really gel with me. It smelled of stale cigarette smoke, had two small dings on the N/S/R quarter panel near the roofline. The radio and heater controls looked like they had been chewed by a dog, shame really as the rest of the car was immaculate.

It was showing 94,000 kms on the clock but the steering wheel and gear **** looked extremely well worn/shiny for that mileage. (In post 4 I said it looked OK for the mileage, having now converted KM to miles I've changed my mind)

The search continues.......

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
If it's Prodrift you're considering buying the car from then you'll have no problems with them.

I've bought 3 JDM imports and they don't all come with service history books but check the engine bay, glove box etc for service stickers which for some reason the Japanese love to place in random positions about the car.

My recent purchase from Prodrift did come with a stamped service book plus all the stickers in the usual random positions about the car.

Just get the car fully serviced and inspected before you start using it, that's what I've had done and I'm very happy with my purchase from Prodrift.

Last edited by amb67; 06 April 2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06 April 2015, 04:37 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Torque gt he has a few
Old 06 April 2015, 06:09 PM
amb67
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by STI Glenn
Try Torque gt he has a few
Will do, they have two on their website, both blue, one standard spec the other modified.

Have emailed them asking a few questions, looking good but I need to make sure that it doesn't smell like an ashtray and it isn't full of car park dinks.

Thanks for the info.

Alan