Opinions on this P1 please

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2015, 09:29 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on this P1 please

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331519973942

Do the P1s have the close ratio box the Type Rs have?
Old 02 April 2015, 09:45 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That roof scoop is gash! By the time that auction has ended it will be in type r money.
Go for a type r instead is my advice
Old 02 April 2015, 09:47 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Looks a good buy, had engine work done which is important as most P1's i've seen forsale have had bottom end go before 100k maybe because there driven harder than standard impreza's i don't know
Old 02 April 2015, 09:58 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Looks a good buy, had engine work done which is important as most P1's i've seen forsale have had bottom end go before 100k maybe because there driven harder than standard impreza's i don't know
It's because they are a diluted Type R, no DCCD, ABS added with crappy AC instead of Climate Control but people think they are as hard core as a Type R. Only built to counter the appettite for imports that cut into Subaru UK's profits.

They have a fan base but if you want a real 3 door Impreza the Retna is the one.
Old 02 April 2015, 10:09 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Enough red flags on this car to give pause for thought:

- No mention of mapping
- P1s are particularly prized in standard condition, and mods such as wheels, intake and that ridiculous roof vent lower the value of the car (although this could work in the buyer's favour as they are easily reversible)
- Only one of the three aftermarket gauges work
- "I literally do 2 miles a day in it and it's not even warm when I get to work." So is it due for another rebuild soon?
- No mention of cam belt, oil changes or other essential history
- "18in gold super leggeras (very rare and expensive) very low profile tyres = harsh ride" - which completely goes against what the P1 is about, i.e. a compliant UK-tuned chassis
- "The pass window only works from the driver’s side (needs a new switch) I'll try and do this." Why haven't you done it already?

In summary the seller does not exactly come across as knowledgeable and there is little evidence that the car has been well cared-for.

Originally Posted by timmy2take
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331519973942

Do the P1s have the close ratio box the Type Rs have?
No they do not, as a simple search would reveal.
Old 02 April 2015, 10:36 AM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
It's because they are a diluted Type R, no DCCD, ABS added with crappy AC instead of Climate Control but people think they are as hard core as a Type R. Only built to counter the appettite for imports that cut into Subaru UK's profits.

They have a fan base but if you want a real 3 door Impreza the Retna is the one.
Agreed, theyre basically a 2 door UK2000 STI

Removed the driving experience of the Type R by ditching the dccd but the limited edition thing always serves to improve value and following.

Owned both, lived with both, would never go back to a P1.
Old 02 April 2015, 10:38 AM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
Enough red flags on this car to give pause for thought:

- No mention of mapping
- P1s are particularly prized in standard condition, and mods such as wheels, intake and that ridiculous roof vent lower the value of the car (although this could work in the buyer's favour as they are easily reversible)
- Only one of the three aftermarket gauges work
- "I literally do 2 miles a day in it and it's not even warm when I get to work." So is it due for another rebuild soon?
- No mention of cam belt, oil changes or other essential history
- "18in gold super leggeras (very rare and expensive) very low profile tyres = harsh ride" - which completely goes against what the P1 is about, i.e. a compliant UK-tuned chassis
- "The pass window only works from the driver’s side (needs a new switch) I'll try and do this." Why haven't you done it already?

In summary the seller does not exactly come across as knowledgeable and there is little evidence that the car has been well cared-for.

No they do not, as a simple search would reveal.
What a ridiculous statement to put on a performance car advert

Trending Topics

Old 02 April 2015, 10:55 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Without wishing to further derail this thread into another repetitive Type R vs P1 debate, it's worth adding a couple of counterpoints to the usual Type R > P1 comments:

- There is a reason why P1 suspension (P1 springs, to be exact) is highly sought after secondhand - for UK roads it is simply much better suited than the JDM items which are too firm and crashy for serious progress. Obviously they can be retrofitted to any GC8 for example via the group buy currently happening.

- While the rear-biased DCCD is unquestionably more adjustable and arguably ultimately more rewarding for an experienced driver, it is also more edgy and unpredictable and an average driver may find the 50:50 non-DCCD setup more foolproof and exploitable.
Old 02 April 2015, 11:09 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
As far as I know........
The P1 ecu was never mapped for UK fuel. Prodrive added some brickettes into the tank and messed around with the knock sensor to try and compensate for the difference in Ron.
Old 02 April 2015, 11:18 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
As far as I know........
The P1 ecu was never mapped for UK fuel. Prodrive added some brickettes into the tank and messed around with the knock sensor to try and compensate for the difference in Ron.
Old 02 April 2015, 12:01 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

"Rear arches done to a good standard" hmmm.
Old 02 April 2015, 01:11 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Thanks, don't think it's for me. Did get offered it at a good-ish price, but yes lots of alarm bells.
Old 02 April 2015, 03:11 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Personly i like the P1 impreza's

There a softer version of the Type R, depends what you want it for, day to day driving P1 weekend car Type R

I think i'd prefer the P1, i'm sure the type R will handle better, and is more raw, but i prefer looks of P1 plus i'm sure it will go up in price faster than type R as so many have been stripped. Imported Type R's are still coming into the country

Thats good to know

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
As far as I know........
Old 02 April 2015, 03:34 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't be arsed to read the add, it made my eyes hurt.
Old 02 April 2015, 06:07 PM
nozzavtr
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are on Facebook have a look at Bentens Autocare, they have a P1 for sale that looks clean, not sure on price though.

https://www.facebook.com/Bentensautocare
Old 02 April 2015, 06:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
Couldn't be arsed to read the add, it made my eyes hurt.
Not just me then, I got to the part about water pump and cam belt and gave up.

My opinion is with 90k roof vent and 15 or so UK winters under it's belt it's not going to be the best example. If I were ever to consider a P1 it would have to be a VERY low milage garage queen minter owned by an OCD nut job enthusiast , otherwise it's a fresh import Type R.

P.S All this talk about Type R suspension being some sort of a problem area is rubbish, yes it's a tad firmer than UK cars but not even close to a set of coilovers, It's a sports car.
Old 02 April 2015, 07:40 PM
Scrappy9
Scooby Regular

Agree letting that Prodrive mess around with the suspension so it was better for uk roads - what do they know.
They reckon they tried something like 20 different set ups before choosing the final set up - can't believe Subaru fell for that
Old 02 April 2015, 08:04 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scrappy9
Agree letting that Prodrive mess around with the suspension so it was better for uk roads - what do they know.
They reckon they tried something like 20 different set ups before choosing the final set up - can't believe Subaru fell for that
If only they had spent as much time on mapping, many wouldn't of blown up!
Old 03 April 2015, 09:18 AM
Kevmc76
Scooby Regular

Old 03 April 2015, 09:30 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Was about to say the same. Don't forget the P1 was simply Subaru's attempt at cashing in on the popularity of the Type R. The engine mapping was never completely right for UK fuel so they dropped some Broquet fuel pellets in the tank. Furthermore there was no use tuning the suspension for UK roads and then offering an 18" wheel option which completely ruined the ride/handling.
The Type R is the real deal the P1 a mere pretender.

Last edited by Maz; 03 April 2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03 April 2015, 11:14 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevmc76
Care to elaborate?
Old 03 April 2015, 03:23 PM
Kevmc76
Scooby Regular

Many have blown up haha what classic impreza hasn't blown up?? even type r's
Old 03 April 2015, 03:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

If you want a type R then buy a type R, if you want a P1 then buy a P1 but so many wrong things said about these cars that needs putting right.

The car itself is based on a Version 5 STI with a type R shell, its the easiest way to put it, but with the removal of the climate control and added the standard AC unit. The DCCD was deemed "too complicated" for the general population who wanted a Limited edition car so it wasnt added.

Mapping. Additional knock adjustments done by Subaru Japan, not Prodrive, they wouldnt let Prodrive map the car so Prodrive had to use the Broquets instead to compensate and 97+ ron fuel.

First batch of 500 sold out very quickly, due to demand they produced another 500 which didnt sell quite as quick as the first lot.

Engine issues were common on the MY99/00 cars anyway (not just the STI but also UK turbo's), though this was down to items like the weak MAF sensors, in addition the STI's had a much more agressive map than the UK cars so on top of the MAF issues you also had issues if you decatted the P1 (det) due to it being quite borderline on the fuelling anyway.
Most of the engine failures were caused by duff fuel/maf sensors, mechanically the engine was quite good, especially if it was remapped.

There were 2 "variants" of the P1, the "standard" and "WR" model (which came with all the goodies like Alcon brakes etc).

The Type R is still deemed a better drivers car, the P1 has a longer 5th gear which makes it less tiring to drive though.

So its all about compromises, the P1 was a JDM car which was a good compromise to a JDM grey import but with a 3 year 60k warranty and a better on road setup for the UK over the grey imports.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 03 April 2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03 April 2015, 04:02 PM
Kevmc76
Scooby Regular

well said, I like both cars and hope one day i will own both, So much hate with people over these cars its unreal.
Old 03 April 2015, 04:22 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If you want a type R then buy a type R, if you want a P1 then buy a P1 but so many wrong things said about these cars that needs putting right.

The car itself is based on a Version 5 STI with a type R shell, its the easiest way to put it, but with the removal of the climate control and added the standard AC unit. The DCCD was deemed "too complicated" for the general population who wanted a Limited edition car so it wasnt added.

Mapping. Additional knock adjustments done by Subaru Japan, not Prodrive, they wouldnt let Prodrive map the car so Prodrive had to use the Broquets instead to compensate and 97+ ron fuel.

First batch of 500 sold out very quickly, due to demand they produced another 500 which didnt sell quite as quick as the first lot.

Engine issues were common on the MY99/00 cars anyway (not just the STI but also UK turbo's), though this was down to items like the weak MAF sensors, in addition the STI's had a much more agressive map than the UK cars so on top of the MAF issues you also had issues if you decatted the P1 (det) due to it being quite borderline on the fuelling anyway.
Most of the engine failures were caused by duff fuel/maf sensors, mechanically the engine was quite good, especially if it was remapped.

There were 2 "variants" of the P1, the "standard" and "WR" model (which came with all the goodies like Alcon brakes etc).

The Type R is still deemed a better drivers car, the P1 has a longer 5th gear which makes it less tiring to drive though.

So its all about compromises, the P1 was a JDM car which was a good compromise to a JDM grey import but with a 3 year 60k warranty and a better on road setup for the UK over the grey imports.

Tony
What wrong things are said about the P1? I assume you're referring to the posts on this thread.
Old 03 April 2015, 04:42 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Many have blown up haha what classic impreza hasn't blown up?? even type r's
Yes, usually because they aren't mapped to our less potent fuel.
Old 03 April 2015, 05:01 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well said, I like both cars and hope one day i will own both, So much hate with people over these cars its unreal.
There's no hate for either, it's just deluded P1 owners that got the hump when people that actually knew what they were talking about set them straight.

Two different cars that share the same shell, much like the Newage STI and WRX, totally different animals that each have their place.

There is no better or worse just different applications.

And yes I know the irony is strong with me.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 03 April 2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03 April 2015, 06:32 PM
Kevmc76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
There's no hate for either, it's just deluded P1 owners that got the hump when people that actually knew what they were talking about set them straight.

Two different cars that share the same shell, much like the Newage STI and WRX, totally different animals that each have their place.

There is no better or worse just different applications.

And yes I know the irony is strong with me.
Haha irony is strong with me....I smell ****e!!! I thought we are team on here but that's right their is no I in team but theirs u in cu*t!

Last edited by Kevmc76; 03 April 2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03 April 2015, 10:29 PM
Zuber
Scooby Regular

For the less hands on the P1 for the mentalist the Type-R, you just can't beat the acceleration of the Type-R straight out the box!
Old 03 April 2015, 10:40 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Put down a deposit on a Type R V-Limited today.

Not far off what I could of got this for.

This one's been remapped to 320bhp (Ecu-tek)

Looks clean underneath, would be nice to have the longer 5th gear though!

Just waiting for cambelt to be done and I'll get it in a few days.

Quick Reply: Opinions on this P1 please