Sponsored by:

Hawk STI and mods required

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2015, 11:32 PM
corno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk STI and mods required

My car is currently on a standard map but with a service due soon it seems a good time for a health check and more power
Currently it has a k&n panel filter, after market backbox, cosworth head gaskets, apr head studs, RCM low temp thermostat. I've just ordered a secondary decat and non res pipe, and will get a fuel pump soon. What power can I expect from these mods? I'd look to get one step colder plugs at the service. Also what sort of power gain can be achieved from full decat vs just having the standard downpipe cat?
And would I benefit from a Harvey trick up pipe?
Old 10 March 2015, 11:49 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

340-360.. But I'd be careful of the pistons if you didn't change them.
Old 11 March 2015, 12:09 AM
corno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickeymouse
340-360.. But I'd be careful of the pistons if you didn't change them.
It's still on standard pistons unfortunately as far as I'm aware :/ what can be done to get nearer to 360?
Old 11 March 2015, 10:46 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

probably leaning more towards 340 with the standard downpipe but 360 at a push with a PPP downpipe.
Old 11 March 2015, 10:54 AM
corno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
probably leaning more towards 340 with the standard downpipe but 360 at a push with a PPP downpipe.
That's what I thought, I'd sooner have full decat than be concerned about a sports cat. Is there anything I can do to get me higher up the numbers and be safe or is that it?
Old 11 March 2015, 11:28 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

depends how you describe "safe" - some would say mapping makes the standard car safer. Some would say mapping will destroy your car.

The full decat of course gives you more poke, but what about your emissions - will you swap it every year? The sports cat will give you a decent bit extra poke but if you want more it's going to start getting pricey.

Keeping it under 400 with a 20g/SC38/SC40 would give you extra grunt, you'd be limited by the cat (and the engine, possibly the injectors a little too) but you'd be still making more than you have now.

who is mapping the car or you thought, most mappers will be able to recommend you the best setup as they will have seen your car and know a bit more about it.
Old 11 March 2015, 01:42 PM
corno
Scooby Regular

depends how you describe "safe" - some would say mapping makes the standard car safer. Some would say mapping will destroy your car.

The full decat of course gives you more poke, but what about your emissions - will you swap it every year? The sports cat will give you a decent bit extra poke but if you want more it's going to start getting pricey.

Keeping it under 400 with a 20g/SC38/SC40 would give you extra grunt, you'd be limited by the cat (and the engine, possibly the injectors a little too) but you'd be still making more than you have now.

who is mapping the car or you thought, most mappers will be able to recommend you the best setup as they will have seen your car and know a bit more about it.
Going full decat shouldn't be a problem as I know a friendly garage! Right now I'm looking to keep the standard turbo and intercooler as I know otherwise it's a huge financial commitment, and that I don't currently.

For mapping im thinking either Thwaites developments or API. Ecutek looks to be the way forward as I want dual maps and a few extra features!
Old 11 March 2015, 10:30 PM
smi2ml
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corno
My car is currently on a standard map but with a service due soon it seems a good time for a health check and more power
Currently it has a k&n panel filter, after market backbox, cosworth head gaskets, apr head studs, RCM low temp thermostat. I've just ordered a secondary decat and non res pipe, and will get a fuel pump soon. What power can I expect from these mods? I'd look to get one step colder plugs at the service. Also what sort of power gain can be achieved from full decat vs just having the standard downpipe cat?
And would I benefit from a Harvey trick up pipe?
I have a 2007 STI hawkeye and with a fully DECAT exhaust Walbro fuel pump , performance panel filter, and on v power and remap and max power I achieved was 330bhp. With the decat exhaust it made a big difference in turbo spool up ..
Old 11 March 2015, 10:51 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yup - less gubbins holding back the turbo gasses the quicker it will get moving, plus you can tweak the AVCS map a good bit to help even more. I'd wager your making a fair wollop of torque to go with that 330bhp?
Old 11 March 2015, 11:14 PM
smi2ml
Scooby Regular

yup - less gubbins holding back the turbo gasses the quicker it will get moving, plus you can tweak the AVCS map a good bit to help even more. I'd wager your making a fair wollop of torque to go with that 330bhp?
Yeh I got 370 ish torque. A lot of people including me thought I would get around 350bhp on a remapped sti HAWKEYE that had a full decat , WALBRO fuel
Pump and performance panel filter but the most power I could get was 330bhp
Old 11 March 2015, 11:22 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

torque is where it's at - a few degrees in air temps, full tank of fuel and miscalculated passenger weight would skew that on a road dyno - for a machine dyno, tyre pressure, hot engine bay temps (bonnet up or down/fans?/) plus the mood of the dyno person would skew it.
Old 11 March 2015, 11:26 PM
smi2ml
Scooby Regular

torque is where it's at - a few degrees in air temps, full tank of fuel and miscalculated passenger weight would skew that on a road dyno - for a machine dyno, tyre pressure, hot engine bay temps (bonnet up or down/fans?/) plus the mood of the dyno person would skew it.
Yeh it was on a rolling road dyno with bonnet down , fans on, please can you advise what you mean when you say it depends on the mood of the dyno person? Lol
Old 11 March 2015, 11:27 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

well the guy running the dyno will ultimatly have the control over what the output reading is going to be. Was this estimated engine/crank horsepower or was this wheel power?
Old 11 March 2015, 11:34 PM
smi2ml
Scooby Regular

well the guy running the dyno will ultimatly have the control over what the output reading is going to be. Was this estimated engine/crank horsepower or was this wheel power?
Oh I see I didn't realise the dyno guy could do that ....

330bhp is what the dyno said I had, it was measured at the crank
Old 12 March 2015, 12:15 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

do you have the chart, did it give you a wheel power estimate? So long as it's making the torque I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 12 March 2015, 12:29 AM
smi2ml
Scooby Regular

do you have the chart, did it give you a wheel power estimate? So long as it's making the torque I wouldn't worry too much.
Yes I do have the charts I will have to dig them out