Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to subaru just after some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2015, 06:04 PM
WRX-LEE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to subaru just after some advice.

now then all,

just bought my first subaru this weekend 2005 blobeye impreza wrx standard apart from a backbox,just wanting a little advice on bolt on modifications,im a mechanic so will be doing all work myself,not after too much on teh engine be nice to have 250bhp but like i say doesnt matter too much.

whats the usual stuff everyone does first?

whats the best panel filter for the airbox on them?

also looking at getting a decat pipe for the secondry cat.

iv seen on the ppp pack you get a silicone y piece is this worth doing to my WRX?

any other recomendations?

cheers lee
Old 16 February 2015, 06:22 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think about what you are going to spend on it, and the increase on insurance when you declare the mods, and then look at buying an STI in the first place.

If not...for some reason..

Best Panel Filter - Do Luck, as proven by Jap Performance on the rollers

Decat exhaust - stay with 2.5" and keep the spool good (use a sports cat in the downpipe unless you know a friendly MOT'er and dont mind your car getting taken off you if your fail roadside emissions testing). Go for a Genome for the ultimate Impreza sound.

May as well put the Y pipe in. You could also put an STI intercooler in.

High Flow fuel pump

Remap

Then, suspension (upgrade to STI JDM standard shocks), brakes (upgrade to STI Brembos and put in some braided lines)

Or just buy an STI
Old 16 February 2015, 06:23 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome.

Well your going the safest and cheapest way of upping the power by following the PPP route Y pipe and centre cat is a good start, you can then just re-flash the ecu with PPP map and get a nice boost in torque and power over standard without spending £600+ on a remap.

Pop into the mapping section and ask the boys if there's anyone local to you that will flash it for you for a few beer tokens, my PPP map (54 blob WRX) is in there free to download, it was posted by toneh, or you can buy a vag cable and do it yourself, all the info is in there.

You'll get those who post after me saying "pro mapper" and "custom map" I have had both and for the extra 10/20bhp you'll get it's not worth the cost or the risk at this level, fair enough if your changing the turbo, injectors, tmic and full decat to get 330 ish but as a 1st stage cheap up-grade you can't beat PPP.
Old 16 February 2015, 06:28 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Oh yes forgot to tell you, this place is full of STI fannyboys that will all say "just buy an STI" its the performance version bla bla bla

or better still JDM STI or a submarine or a rocket ship cos a wrx is the poverty spec and you couldn't possibly actually WANT to own a WRX.

Hello Trinity, now where's that w4nking smily gone.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 16 February 2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 16 February 2015, 06:29 PM
WRX-LEE
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the quick replys I got wrx as the STI is around 2k more at least plus insurance reasons, ideally I don't want to remap it as it's low miles 34k so want everything to be able to go back to stock for whenever I sell it,just after the best upgrades without need for remap etc
Old 16 February 2015, 06:33 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX-LEE
Cheers for the quick replys I got wrx as the STI is around 2k more at least plus insurance reasons, ideally I don't want to remap it as it's low miles 34k so want everything to be able to go back to stock for whenever I sell it,just after the best upgrades without need for remap etc
PPP map is just a 5min ECU re-flash, noting to it and it's recognised by the Insurance companies, made no difference to my premium.
Old 16 February 2015, 07:45 PM
Clarkyvrs
Scooby Newbie

Technically the PPP map is stock as it was offered by subaru as an upgrade at time of original sale. My 05 blob has the PPP kit and it's 261bhp apparently.

Trending Topics

Old 16 February 2015, 08:01 PM
WRX-LEE
Scooby Regular

Ah I see that sounds promising maybe the way il go then thanks for the info! Il take a look.
Old 17 February 2015, 07:36 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
If you have any problems with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 17 February 2015, 09:49 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

yup - PPP map and some bolt ons definitly the way to go. Plus if you buy the openport lead you can flash the stock map back on when it comes time to sell.

Check if you have the uppipe cat still, if so you can decat it yourself or pickup and STI version to put in. Ported standard headers popup from time to time - they take a good hiding and you get a good bump in turbo spool up to boot.

For me - I'd say mods in this order:
decat up pipe/decat second cat/sport cat (look for PPP cat on here)
Boost Gauge and PPP map flash
few silicone pipes (y pipe/turbo intake pipe)
and price out some decent disks and pads.

If the 4 pots are giving you grief pickup a piston kit (scoobyworx/godspeed) and get to it
Old 17 February 2015, 10:35 PM
WRX-LEE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
yup - PPP map and some bolt ons definitly the way to go. Plus if you buy the openport lead you can flash the stock map back on when it comes time to sell.

Check if you have the uppipe cat still, if so you can decat it yourself or pickup and STI version to put in. Ported standard headers popup from time to time - they take a good hiding and you get a good bump in turbo spool up to boot.

For me - I'd say mods in this order:
decat up pipe/decat second cat/sport cat (look for PPP cat on here)
Boost Gauge and PPP map flash
few silicone pipes (y pipe/turbo intake pipe)
and price out some decent disks and pads.

If the 4 pots are giving you grief pickup a piston kit (scoobyworx/godspeed) and get to it
Thanks bludgod for the help is this PPP map something I can buy to do it myself or is it a dealer/mapper specialty? Il get a decat ordered payday then it's all standard apart from a backbox at the moment,what's people's views of dump valves? Iv read somewhere there not great on subaru engines is this correct? Cause less power? Cheers lee
Old 18 February 2015, 07:35 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Also interested. I thought I had to buy a PPP ecu!

Anyone in the Kent area around with a PPP WRX?

Sorry to hijack your thread by the way!
Old 18 February 2015, 09:15 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

you can download the map off here - if your going to fit it your as handy fitting the full PPP setup to get the best effect:

Sports cat
Y pipe
2nd cat/rear cat delete

If your in hoking about, nuke the uppipe cat and the EGT sensor whilst your at it.

Dump valaves will lead to poor running, loss of fuel economy, stalling between gears etc. to varying degrees usually depending on the quality of the valve you buy. For example your £20 quid ebay valve is likely to leak air under just about every condition causing a host of issues for you.

For a flashing cable, openport 2.0 is the current one to get:
http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?opt...hk=1&Itemid=53
Yes its got a price tag, but still cheaper than a pro mapping session and allows you to turn off codes and adjust the map as much as you need.

Plus if your only using it once you can expect to be able to sell it on again and get a good bit of money back on it. Though they are handy to have for datalogging if something is playing up.
Old 18 February 2015, 10:51 AM
Clarkyvrs
Scooby Newbie

Mine has a bailey dv12 fitted and runs just fine with no EML or loss in power or stalling between gears.
Needs regular servicing though as it was stuck shut when I bought the car so if it ain't got one stick with the OE stuff unless you want the noise of a dump valve as I doubt you'll get any power gains from it.
Old 18 February 2015, 10:52 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

DV12 is a good unit when looked after - they stay shut when your cruising about and have a decent woosh when you let off. That's why my car had originally as well but I'm back to the stocker now.
Old 20 February 2015, 09:08 AM
WRX-LEE
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the all the info guys great help,just need payday to come round now and il order a few bits!
Old 20 February 2015, 12:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Oh yes forgot to tell you, this place is full of STI fannyboys that will all say "just buy an STI" its the performance version bla bla bla

or better still JDM STI or a submarine or a rocket ship cos a wrx is the poverty spec and you couldn't possibly actually WANT to own a WRX.

Hello Trinity, now where's that w4nking smily gone.
Old 21 February 2015, 09:09 PM
WRX-LEE
Scooby Regular

Quick question iv done a search and couldn't find definate answers.

What's the oil capacity for:

The engine
Gearbox
Front diff
Rear diff

Thanks for help 👍