Sponsored by:

Front shock top mounts

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2014, 07:06 PM
craig_85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front shock top mounts

Hi all, trying to find out a bit of info as still very early days for me in the Scooby world.
Just wondering is it common place for the front strut top mounts to go on the newage (Bugeye in particular) sti models and if they do go do they usually give a little knock noise when coming off clutch and re engaging drive at slow speeds (under 15mph) in first and when just moving off from standstill going either forward or backwards?
I know it's hard to diagnose without hearing but is this a common issue on these?

Merry Christmas to all in advance.
Thanks, Craig
Old 24 December 2014, 07:55 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

There's an engine sway bar that connects to the bulkhead near the top. Very easy to see if you don't have a top mounted intercooler. It's something to check.
Old 24 December 2014, 08:10 PM
craig_85
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestion but it's on a car I'm looking to purchase so it's not something I can just pop out to look at unfortunately. Car has the tmic so not sure how easy to see with that in situe as it is the sti model.
Shall have another look over the weekend when I go to it but just trying to see if it's likely to be something more than another.

Thanks for the heads up mate.
Old 24 December 2014, 08:21 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

There's a number of possibilities but best starting with the simple stuff. Does it sound like it's in the bulkhead/front area?
Old 24 December 2014, 08:29 PM
craig_85
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah I know, not something I expect to be diagnosed online as with noises they are very hard to describe and sometimes find even when the cars infront m of you isn't it.
Well from what it sounded / felt like it seemed it was coming from more the NSF wheel area as a guide.
The guy selling said he had his mechanic look it over today and all joints underneath (links, arms, supports and bushes) all were fine inc lower engine mount but obviously I don't know for sure if he's just saying that to hopefully just sell on or if it is correct.
They suggested the possibility of top mounts as they couldn't replicate the noise when not moving so just trying to see if it could be plausible before buying it.
Have tried to see if my mate (tech looks after my cars) is free to look it over but not so am a little unsure.
Car drove very well and was lovely and tight even at 12 years old but only because of the expense of transmission items am just trying to see if any suggestions can be made or given so I can have another look to make sure first if you get what I mean.
If they do tend to suffer from that then fair do's but if it's a load of b.s just trying to hide something is what I'm concerned about.
Old 25 December 2014, 10:13 PM
johnny subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could just be the shock absorbers themselves knocking,very common problem,especially if it has standard OEM ones.
Old 26 December 2014, 09:17 AM
craig_85
Scooby Regular

Well I hadn't actually thought of the obvious like that, after reading all the issues with the rear struts and having driven one with them gone i didn't consider the fronts going wrong.

Well I will be checking everything thoroughly tomorrow when I go there so tha I can hopefully get an idea of what I will be having to replace if I do make a deal.

If it's struts I guess it's a good excuse to go the coilover route
Old 26 December 2014, 09:27 AM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

Mine knocked from lower front when i got it ,, over speed bumps uneven roads etc ,, i suspected suspension but it was just the anti rattle spring was missing off one side of the front brake pads ,,, defo worth checking ( it was very loud considering such a minor part was missing)
Old 26 December 2014, 09:35 AM
craig_85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyskool
Mine knocked from lower front when i got it ,, over speed bumps uneven roads etc ,, i suspected suspension but it was just the anti rattle spring was missing off one side of the front brake pads ,,, defo worth checking ( it was very loud considering such a minor part was missing)
I will give that a good look over too then, thanks for suggestion.
The noise however does happen when you engage drive? If cars driving along in gear at tickover speed, you dip clutch to let it just roll and then bring the clutch back up when the car picks drive back up it's a little knock then, with the movement of the car re engaging drive and everything does that little (mini kangaroo) as the car reacts to your actions.

I will get the wife to move the car around then with me outside so may get an idea of where it's coming from.