Sponsored by:

Brake pad and fluid questions.

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2014, 08:37 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad and fluid questions.

Hey guys, so i went with ferodo DS2500s front and rear on my 4 pot standard brakes on my 03 impreza wrx. I cleaned up all calipers and and flushed the fluid. Now just a few questions if i may ....... Firstly, im pretty damn sure that all the air was out of my lines and the master cylinder. I went with Mobil dot 4 fluid, i just took the car around the block a few times to give the pads a proper seat. My brakes feel a little like they did before, (not exactly spongy, but not hard either) So im wondering, will they harden up after the bedding procedure? I'm pretty certain iv done every correctly, and took alot of care. Can somebody tell me the correct bedding procedure please?? (Also, I do have braided hoses)
Old 17 December 2014, 08:44 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

To bleed the callipers properly after a fluid change you normally start at the calliper furthest from the master cylinder and work through them until you end at the one nearest the master cylinder. The pads will be a bit crap to start with as they need to bed in, once the bedding in is done they should be pretty good tbh ds2500 pads are spot on if used with good discs.
Old 17 December 2014, 10:28 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Default thanks

I did a flush through on my fluid after i changed the pads, i sucked out alot from the master cylinder, topped off with fresh, and bled the calipers on my own with some tubing and a bottle. I made sure it was all air tight, and kept flushing until the fluid ran clean in each caliper and no bubbles were seen. I topped up the fluid after a few pedal pumps each time. The sequence i used was passenger front, driver rear, driver front, passenger rear. The flushing was good in my opinion. Maybe I'm just expecting a HUGE difference for all my efforts. But nothing seems to have changed in the braking system since beforehand. I'm just hoping that the pads will bed nicely and the pedal will harden up after some usage.
Old 19 December 2014, 12:55 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

sticky piston?