Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I be better changing to a Classic if starting to do track days?

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2014, 09:37 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would I be better changing to a Classic if starting to do track days?

Firstly, let me just say that I am a New Age fan, no question. But having done a track day this past weekend in the Wagon, I am wondering whether spending more money on it to make it better on track would be a waste and if I should get a classic STI instead?

The car is my daily right now but that can be altered easy enough. I do like my Wagon a lot and wouldn't be upset at spending a couple of grand getting it right. I'm just the kind of person who is always wondering whether I'm using the best tool for the job etc. and I've now owned a Classic WRX Wagon, a Hawkeye STI Spec-D and a Blob Eye WRX Wagon. It's safe to say I like my Scoobies.

In my shoes, would you continue the path I am on currently, which includes a Spec C steering rack and Perrin intake and will soon include STI decat up pipe, VF35, pinks, new shocks and springs, Group N top mounts and engine mounts and all that good stuff, or would you consider selling as is and looking for an STI in classic flavour?

I don't even know what you do or don't get on a Classic STI, but I am at that crossroads where I have to decide to plough on and spend a pile of cash or make a change before it's too late.

Me and the Mrs are both well into the track day thing now and are already planning the next one!
Old 16 December 2014, 11:07 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

1.Will the car be a pure track day car with the odd bit of very occasional road use. So in effect a track car?

2.What power do you want to run?

3.Would you lose a huge amount if you sold the waggon?

For me and many of us the classic with new age bits in makes the better track weapon.
How far are you going to take the car. If if will just be a brake upgrade and few suspension mods then start with an STI.

If you are really going to go for it,cage, six speed box, strip the thing out and turn it into a real track beast, then perhaps don´t waste your money on a STI and start with a cheaper base car, as most of it will be pulled out anyway.

Also what type of tracks will you be on, long straights or more twisty?

So I would start with what is your realistic end point with the car....and work back from that
Old 16 December 2014, 11:37 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

You've just asked me a whole bunch of questions that I don't yet know the answer to!

As it is now, the Wagon is my daily. If I replaced it then it would have to start out as my daily but would transition to weekend/track car once I was able to get a proper daily driver sorted. I can say now that I don't have the heart to strip the wagon. But nor would I go full stripped beast with a classic either, as I want to be able to drive to the 'Ring and that sort of thing without my ears ringing and my body aching!

I think in my head if I keep the wagon it will stay pretty much as it is. If I sell and buy a classic it will keep its door cards and carpets, heaters etc. so that it can still be a useable long distance roadtrip car, but it would have the rear seats out, a cage in and some proper buckets and harnesses added.

I will lose a bit of money on the Wagon, sure. That's par for the course when you can't keep yourself from tinkering! Not enough to stop me selling if a classic was deemed to be the right decision, however.

Power wise I think I'd be aiming at 320 - 360bhp. Nothing too extreme. The main thing I learned on Saturday is that I am not actually able to use the 256bhp I've got now properly on the current tyres/suspension and my novice skill level!
Old 16 December 2014, 12:18 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

From personal experience I would keep wagon like is it and enjoy wagon,if you want to keep as daily

Stripping wagon,with this you will not gain a lot,rear seats doesn't weight a lot,they're pretty light,you can try to remove them and you will see,only weight which is under rear seats is metal bar,which you can easily remove and this metal bar weight alone around 5-10kg

If you want track car,then I would suggest classic and start with saloon/sedan there,new age wagon is heavier than New age STI or WRX and this can be disadvantage on the track or drag

Wagon is nice car for day to day driving or nice car for B-road blast,that's my view...

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Old 16 December 2014, 12:32 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'd go saloon or coupe if I went for a classic. I'm just worried that as nice and quick etc. as I can make the Wagon, it will never quite stack up as a track car. If I keep it, it WILL have to perform the track duties.

A more effiecient daily is already on the list for the New Year.
Old 16 December 2014, 12:59 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The point of trackdays is to have fun, it doesn't really matter what the car is, you can't win a prize. The point for me is improving the car and most important improving my driving. If at some point you think you might enter something competitive obviously max. performance is important. If its always going to be trackdays just keep improving the wagon and yourself.
Old 16 December 2014, 01:29 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 300gnspitzer
The point of trackdays is to have fun, it doesn't really matter what the car is, you can't win a prize. The point for me is improving the car and most important improving my driving. If at some point you think you might enter something competitive obviously max. performance is important. If its always going to be trackdays just keep improving the wagon and yourself.
Yeah it's not really about being "competitive", although I don't want to be getting blown away on track. It's more to do with wanting a car that handles well and feel great to drive fast around a track. The Wagon is a little bit boaty. I know I can improve it and I might yet. I just want to fully assess my options.

If I get a classic I can happily put ina couple of decent buckets and have a cage and proper harnesses etc. which appeals.
Old 16 December 2014, 09:46 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I don't think the wagon per se makes the much worse for track use.

I've had both a new age saloon and a new age wagon, and tbh in my experience it's more down to what suspension bits and rest of the set up you have on either car.

The wagon might weigh a tiny bit more, and it might have an ever so slightly higher center of gravity, having a different boot lid, but unlikely that you'd notice it unless you're a very high class driver
Old 16 December 2014, 10:05 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Get a track toy like a Clio 172/182 cup or mx5 and keep current car as daily
Old 16 December 2014, 10:21 PM
byrnsie44
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jay I've literally just done this.

RB5 WR as base car:
Rebuilt engine on ACL race bearings
STi inter cooler
Vf35 turbo
3 port boost solenoid
Cosworth panel filter
3 inch de-cat full system
Samco hoses
4 pot fronts and two pot rear upgrade on ferodo DS2500s
Team dynamics lightweight wheels on toyo rubber
Coilovers on prodrive settings
White line adjustable ARBs front and rear
White line drop links front and rear
Braided brake lines and DOT 5.1 fluid
STi front and rear strut braces
Racing wheel
Sparco bucket seats on sliding mounts
Cusco bolt in steel cage
Stripped out rear bench
Mapped to 300bhp on Ecutek software by Duncan at raceDynamix (highly recommended )

Was going to be a track only car but as I'm doing less mileage it will be dailied too, will let you know how that goes haha.
Old 17 December 2014, 08:42 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing to bare in mind is your never going to be the quickest car on any trackday. The point of trackdays is to have some fun as above, it's not a race so being "blown away" doesn't come into it When I first started doing trackdays in cars some young kid in a Corsa was flying around Donnington like a rocket on rails, closer inspection revealed a 2.0L turbo lump and full on track set up, so get used to the idea of being passed by some sh1tbox looking motors because there are plenty of serious cars on trackdays disguised as heaps, some folks get a kick out of it, you only have to look in the project section on here to see some pretty serious machines.

For me it's all about fun and improving my lines, braking points, apexing getting on the power earlier, I find I have more fun just finding some clean air and concentrating on what I'm doing rather than trying to prove something to someone in a Nova or Ferrari, I just let them get on with it.

My advice would be you don't need to spend a fortune on the car to have fun, and you don't need to wring the **** off it either, especially while your just learning.

I don't see the point in changing car if it meets your needs, I would however spend a little on brakes and handling as they're the 2 areas your car is lacking and will also provide the biggest bang for buck performance improvements, all well and good upping power but power means nothing without control.
Old 17 December 2014, 09:51 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I'm running a Spec C steering rack and I am running Brembos. Granted Brembos aren't the be all and end all but they sure are better than what it had!

I change my mind so often that I may well end up changing it again yet. I've had a Bug STI catch my eye....... I might just change to an STI for fun stuff and next season I may, *may* enter a very amateur race series once I have honed my craft a little.

We'll see. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing