Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2014, 10:28 AM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Cats

Hi

Looking for some help;

I've a turbo 2000 with PPP. I think the cat needs replacing. From what I understand there is one cat in the downpipe.

I need to be MOT friendly, are there any options that wont require a remap. I presume, as the PPP map encompasses a sports cat, any 100/200 cell replacement will work?
Old 09 December 2014, 12:03 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Just buy a prodrive cat bud, you could fit another make of sports cat, many are 3" bore though instead of 2.5" like standard system, so you will then need to replace complete system.

Any if you dont get it remapped, you will get the powers to be on your back
Old 09 December 2014, 12:54 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Just buy a prodrive cat bud, you could fit another make of sports cat, many are 3" bore though instead of 2.5" like standard system, so you will then need to replace complete system.

Any if you dont get it remapped, you will get the powers to be on your back
From where mate?

Why do i need to remap? Its a turbo 2000 with Prodrive map. So if the cat is same spec, it'll be fine?
Old 09 December 2014, 01:15 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I think on the classics the down pipe cat is the same as std cars, it doesn't have the centre cat as part of the PPP kit.
Old 09 December 2014, 01:24 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
it doesn't have the centre cat as part of the PPP kit.
It does not, you are right.

So I don't have a prodrive cat fitted? but a standard Subaru OEM item? I have perhaps slightly misunderstood....

Last edited by Jazzy Jefferson; 09 December 2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09 December 2014, 03:01 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

No i'm saying if you upgrade to a 3" bore exhaust system, then you will need a remap

I don't think the a standard cat is the same as a prodrive one, when i bought mine it has a cat missing. The Prodrive ones are stamped Prodrive

Originally Posted by Jazzy Jefferson
From where mate?

Why do i need to remap? Its a turbo 2000 with Prodrive map. So if the cat is same spec, it'll be fine?
Old 09 December 2014, 03:07 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
No i'm saying if you upgrade to a 3" bore exhaust system, then you will need a remap

I don't think the a standard cat is the same as a prodrive one, when i bought mine it has a cat missing. The Prodrive ones are stamped Prodrive
I wasn't intending on upgrading. I just need a replacement cat, but no idea what to buy. It's quite an expense if it's wrong..

I assume prodrive cats are different from subaru ones. The question therefore, is what's fitted to my car as standard. A turbo 2000 with PPP... I guess NON prodrive in line with the suggestion above?

Last edited by Jazzy Jefferson; 09 December 2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09 December 2014, 03:35 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
I think on the classics the down pipe cat is the same as std cars, it doesn't have the centre cat as part of the PPP kit.
This was my understanding too. I've retrofitted the PPP kit to my '97 Turbo 2000 and part of that was replacing the central cat with a decat (with a silencer in my case). I've left the original cat downpipe though, as I believe this is what Prodrive do.

Originally, I think Prodrive used an STI centre pipe which looks the same as the cat pipe, but has a silencer in place of the cat. I could be wrong though!
Old 09 December 2014, 03:48 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The MY99-00 ppp has standard cat in the downpipe, and no cat in the centre section. It's mapped for this setup. You just need another OEM downpipe. Should be easy to find.
Old 09 December 2014, 03:50 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
The MY99-00 ppp has standard cat in the downpipe, and no cat in the centre section. It's mapped for this setup. You just need another OEM downpipe. Should be easy to find.
Sweet. Thanks mate. Thats Just saved me dropping 400 notes on a sports cat. :-)
Old 09 December 2014, 03:57 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ben.harris
This was my understanding too. I've retrofitted the PPP kit to my '97 Turbo 2000 and part of that was replacing the central cat with a decat (with a silencer in my case). I've left the original cat downpipe though, as I believe this is what Prodrive do.

Originally, I think Prodrive used an STI centre pipe which looks the same as the cat pipe, but has a silencer in place of the cat. I could be wrong though!
Prodrive items are pretty good and some say the best out there but some other after market sport catalytic pipes are not as restrictive as the normal fitted items and without supporting mods or a remap MAY cause MOT issues.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 09 December 2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09 December 2014, 05:32 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

£400 where you looking lol

I've upgrade to a 2nd sports cat. Will give you abit more go.

Sweet. Thanks mate. Thats Just saved me dropping 400 notes on a sports cat. :-)
Old 09 December 2014, 05:36 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Prodrive items are pretty good and some say the best out there but some other after market sport catalytic pipes are not as restrictive as the normal fitted items and without supporting mods or a remap MAY cause MOT issues.
Well mine's in for its first MOT tomorrow since fitting all the PPP bits, so I guess I'll find out! Seems to run fine, so fingers crossed!

Last edited by ben.harris; 09 December 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09 December 2014, 05:40 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well mine's in for its first MOT tomorrow since fitting all the PPP bits, so I guess I'll find out! Seems to run fine, so fingers crossed!

Ben, you should be fine
Old 10 December 2014, 10:49 AM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Keep me posted

I'm ordering a new OEM cat. Expensive but I want new parts that fit without a problem. Job done.
Old 10 December 2014, 11:11 AM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

The MOT went fine. The old girl passed with no advisories for the 2nd year in a row!

In case anyone is interested in the emissions test results, this is comparing last year with this year. The main changes that have happened between then are going from a standard '97 Turbo 2000 ECU to the PPP ECU, removal of 2nd cat for a silenced de-cat, replacing the Y-pipe under the intercooler with a silicon version, and fitting a new lambda sensor (for good measure!) along with new spark plugs.

Fast Idle Test:

CO % vol (last year): 0.009
CO % vol (this year): 0.084
CO % vol (max limit ): 0.200

HC ppm vol (last year): 7
HC ppm vol (this year): 11
HC ppm vol (max limit): 200

Lambda (last year): 1.003
Lambda (this year): 1.007
Lambda (min/max range): 0.970 - 1.030

Natural Idle Test

CO % vol (last year): 0.005
CO % vol (this year): 0.286
CO % vol (max limit ): 0.300

The only major difference I can see is the CO during the Natural Idle test. This seems to be much higher - although still within the test limits which is presumably as a result of only having one cat now, instead of two.
Old 10 December 2014, 11:15 AM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

The MOT went fine. The old girl passed with no advisories for the 2nd year in a row!

In case anyone is interested in the emissions test results, this is comparing last year with this year. The main changes that have happened between then are going from a standard '97 Turbo 2000 ECU to the PPP ECU, removal of 2nd cat for a silenced de-cat, replacing the Y-pipe under the intercooler with a silicon version, and fitting a new lambda sensor (for good measure!) along with new spark plugs.

Fast Idle Test:

CO % vol (last year): 0.009
CO % vol (this year): 0.084
CO % vol (max limit ): 0.200

HC ppm vol (last year): 7
HC ppm vol (this year): 11
HC ppm vol (max limit): 200

Lambda (last year): 1.003
Lambda (this year): 1.007
Lambda (min/max range): 0.970 - 1.030

Natural Idle Test

CO % vol (last year): 0.005
CO % vol (this year): 0.286
CO % vol (max limit ): 0.300

The only major difference I can see is the CO during the Natural Idle test. This seems to be much higher - although still within the test limits which is presumably as a result of only having one cat now, instead of two.
Awesome man. Great results.

How you liking the PPP additions? I've not driven a standard turbo 2000 so can't compare, but I love the way the PPP delivers the power
Old 10 December 2014, 11:30 AM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Awesome man. Great results.

How you liking the PPP additions? I've not driven a standard turbo 2000 so can't compare, but I love the way the PPP delivers the power
The nicer way the power is delivered was the first thing I noticed. With the standard ECU, the power would come on with a bit of a 'shove', e.g. in 2nd gear from, say 10mph (e.g. crawling up to a roundabout), foot down and, nothing, nothing - shove! The PPP ECU seems to be a much smoother delivery of power - to the point where it can be a bit deceptive - it's hard to explain, but because it now goes "nothing, mid-acceleration, hard-acceleration", instead of "nothing, nothing, shove", the transition between nothing and shove was definitely more noticeable with the standard ECU and gave the perception of more power, whereas the smoother power delivery of the PPP ECU in real-terms is faster, but doesn't always feel it!

Also - and this is a big 'plus-point' of the PPP ECU from my point of view, the 3rd-gear 'bug' which plagued the standard ECU is completely gone. If you're not aware of it (and a search on here will show lots of people used to complain about it), what would happen is if you were in 3rd gear holding constant speed within a certain rev-range (typically 30MPH in 3rd) for more than about 6 seconds, if you went to floor it (e.g. to overtake after you enter a national speed limit from a 30 zone), the ECU would limit you to half-boost unless you remembered to 'blip' the throttle before flooring it. I can't remember that ever happening after fitting the PPP ECU.

I hope some of those ramblings above make sense - I've just re-read it, and although I understand what I'm trying to say, that doesn't mean anyone else will!
Old 10 December 2014, 11:47 AM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

The nicer way the power is delivered was the first thing I noticed. With the standard ECU, the power would come on with a bit of a 'shove', e.g. in 2nd gear from, say 10mph (e.g. crawling up to a roundabout), foot down and, nothing, nothing - shove! The PPP ECU seems to be a much smoother delivery of power - to the point where it can be a bit deceptive - it's hard to explain, but because it now goes "nothing, mid-acceleration, hard-acceleration", instead of "nothing, nothing, shove", the transition between nothing and shove was definitely more noticeable with the standard ECU and gave the perception of more power, whereas the smoother power delivery of the PPP ECU in real-terms is faster, but doesn't always feel it!

Also - and this is a big 'plus-point' of the PPP ECU from my point of view, the 3rd-gear 'bug' which plagued the standard ECU is completely gone. If you're not aware of it (and a search on here will show lots of people used to complain about it), what would happen is if you were in 3rd gear holding constant speed within a certain rev-range (typically 30MPH in 3rd) for more than about 6 seconds, if you went to floor it (e.g. to overtake after you enter a national speed limit from a 30 zone), the ECU would limit you to half-boost unless you remembered to 'blip' the throttle before flooring it. I can't remember that ever happening after fitting the PPP ECU.

I hope some of those ramblings above make sense - I've just re-read it, and although I understand what I'm trying to say, that doesn't mean anyone else will!
Good write up mate thanks.

Interesting that the PPP makes it feel slower, but I get that due to the power delivery. That "boost limiting" does sound stupid though. Glad they mapped that out.
Old 10 December 2014, 12:03 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Good write up mate thanks.

Interesting that the PPP makes it feel slower, but I get that due to the power delivery. That "boost limiting" does sound stupid though. Glad they mapped that out.
Not slower, as such - just less of a drama due to the smoothness. It's definitely faster overall, and the increase in boost over the standard ECU is very noticeable. Mid-range driving is much nicer with the PPP ECU than the standard one.

The ECU bug was something to do with emissions, I think - designed for some test that needed to be done to get approval when they were first sold. It definitely seems to be gone from the PPP ECU though.
Old 10 December 2014, 02:21 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

nice. It's a learning day.

thanks for your help!
Old 10 December 2014, 02:32 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Another good write up Ben

When i fitted my Prodrive ECU took it for a quick spin, didn't seem to notice much difference, but saying that, i haven't yet fitted the Y pipe and panel filter, so hoping will notice more when get these 2 fitted.

Car will be off the road for 4 months, so hope i notice the difference

I really hope it improves the performance quite abit. Miss my WRX 280bhp. That was savage

Old 10 December 2014, 02:58 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Oh dear. Things have all of a sudden taken a U-turn. Subaru got their pricing wrong and now want over £700 for a standard down pipe. Sod that.

Does anyone make a cat/downpipe that is factory spec? cobra/ninja/japspeed all have bellmouths... they wont work. Why is it so difficult and/or expensive to keep things road legal!?

Last edited by Jazzy Jefferson; 10 December 2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10 December 2014, 06:01 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Find a low mileage one from a breaker? Wanted ad on here? Someone may be doing a full decat.
Old 10 December 2014, 10:29 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I would look at a decent second hand one tbh. Most remove them quickly and use de-cat so you might find a good one. Or if you can borrow one from someone local purely for the mot and then give it back afterwards
Old 11 December 2014, 07:23 AM
jonnyricer2
Scooby Regular

Hi there i have a good standard cat off a uk 2000 O2 sensor in the top of down pipe 50 quid plus postage it Wass used to get my v4 sti through mot test emissions I'll find the results if that helps bud??