Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is an STI that much different from a WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2014, 07:35 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
At 19 I had a Fiesta 950. One morning before college my battery failed and I swapped it for one I had kicking around, I slipped putting it in the engine bay and a load of fluid went over my jeans.

Circa 4pm at College my jeans literally started to decay before my eyes. Awkward.
Aww what a lovely story
Old 28 November 2014, 08:48 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

The newer you get in the WRX-sti range the further they get apart in performance and looks ,,,ie a classic WRX and sti arnt that far apart from each other but the new sti and new WRX are miles apart
Old 28 November 2014, 08:58 AM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've started with a WRX and in hindsight should probably have started with an STI as I have lots of plans for the car (forged / rebuilt engine + remap so far).

Next I'm upgrading the suspension, then I'll have to do the brakes etc and intend to go beyond what the standard STI does in terms of power but it really does depend what your plans are and what you want out of it
Old 28 November 2014, 11:03 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
TBH if you want a fun car buy a clio cup or a mazda mx5.

wrx with 225bhp is pretty crap tbh, handle crap, stop crap and go crap.
what a load of crap !!! ^^^ , if you cant have fun in a 2005 WRX you can't drive ! end of , they are a good car . unless you are lewis Hamilton or Jason plato you are talking crap !
Old 28 November 2014, 11:09 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Started off with a 'W' reg Impreza Turbo 2000 (UK WRX) as my first fast car (215bhp). And thought this was quick (Group 17 insurance at the time), then upgraded to a 2003 UK STi (260bhp), but it didn't feel any different to the UK 2000 except a bit more refined in the cabin. Then I got a Prodrive upgrade to take it up to the predicted 300BHP and what a difference that made, the car literally pushed you back in the seat . Don't forget the newer cars these days are heavier and therefore why they don't match up to cars less there size sometimes Unfortunately I now own a Impreza Diesel due to the mileage I now do and getting fed up with the amount of times I ended up in the garage forecourt to refill the petrol tank. But I do miss my STi for the power.

Last edited by jpor; 28 November 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 28 November 2014, 11:13 AM
Karl_mac_
Scooby Regular

Boxster (in S form at least) is widely regarded as one of the best chassis/engine combos around. Your really going to struggle finding a better sports car than than a 3.2.

The scooby does a decent job, but is ultimately compromised by its 4wd and saloon body shape, but these are two very different cars and its not really a fair comparison matching the subaru against two seaters.
Old 28 November 2014, 11:22 AM
webby771
Scooby Newbie

mjharper - The car will have to remain pretty stock for the first year to keep insurance premiums down, so no forged internals etc. just yet.

jpor - I was looking at a newage STI (bug/blob), but have liked the look of something like a type R.

Karl_mac - I've yet to find a local garage that will let a 19 y/o drive a boxster s, so I can't comment on what they drive like. But the mid engine/RWD combo does get my imagination running.
Old 28 November 2014, 11:36 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

You will struggle to insure a type R at 19.

How much are you currently paying for a wrx out of interest .?
Old 28 November 2014, 01:17 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_mac_
Boxster (in S form at least) is widely regarded as one of the best chassis/engine combos around. Your really going to struggle finding a better sports car than than a 3.2.

The scooby does a decent job, but is ultimately compromised by its 4wd and saloon body shape, but these are two very different cars and its not really a fair comparison matching the subaru against two seaters.
I've owned Porsches, M-cars, MX-5s and IMO the classic Impreza is a match for any of these in terms of fun factor. Boxsters are outstanding cars but comparatively refined and arguably too civilised and a bit underpowered - a well-prepared classic offers a raw, fizzy drive that's incredibly fun in my book.

If you can get insured on a Boxster you'll be able to insure a classic.
Old 28 November 2014, 01:27 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

I have more fun throwing my vectra diesel daily around than I do in my newage sti. Too much grip in the sti, I am not comfortable pushing the sti to the edge on public roads. I just love the sound and the odd squirt of power which is where I get my satisfaction.

It depends on your idea of fun. Mine would be having a car that moves around quite a bit on throttle at sensible speeds while making a nice noise. Not going ***** lit over blind crests trying to replicate your favourite rally hero, which is what the car seems to be very good at

Last edited by GH80; 28 November 2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 28 November 2014, 01:33 PM
webby771
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
You will struggle to insure a type R at 19.

How much are you currently paying for a wrx out of interest .?
I'll be 20 with 3 years NCB by the time I swap to a new car. I've done some insurance quote estimates for all of the cars I've mentioned and all are around the 1.5k mark. Note that I'm currently with Elephant paying around 1.8k for a pretty much standard WRX.

Plenty - I think you've hit the nail on the head there, but as it'll be daily'ed I think that some creature comforts are needed just so that I don't get annoyed with the car on long journeys. And for that reason I am swaying towards something a bit more refined than a stripped out classic.

GH80 - You're probably right. I'm looking for something that's fun and reliable really. Anything else is a bonus.
Old 28 November 2014, 01:44 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not being funny

A UK STI is buy design a better car than a UK WRX hence why its more expensive to buy, that’s progression through the model range.

Just like a Hawk spec C is better than an hawk STI (JDM) and so on…

Regardless how you use the car.

To answer th original question and put it into contex if you bought lets say a "BMW 1.6i would there be much differance to a 330i its still a BMW" well the answer is YES they will be worlds apart...

Last edited by S3LDM; 28 November 2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 28 November 2014, 02:01 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by webby771

So, my question is as the title says. But I just can't see the STI being that much better than a WRX - after all, it is an Impreza.

Thanks in advance for your inputs,

Webby
Car A. 330bhp URABUS REX - 28-36MPG - 1/4 12.8secs - 0-60 4.1secs
Car B. 330bhp URABUS FLY - 17-25MPG -1/4 13.5 - 0-60 4.4secs

Car A or B webby?
Old 28 November 2014, 02:03 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Car A. 330bhp URABUS REX - 28-36MPG - 1/4 12.8secs - 0-60 4.1secs
Car B. 330bhp URABUS FLY - 17-25MPG -1/4 13.5 - 0-60 4.4secs

Car A or B webby?
Dont start that crap here
Old 28 November 2014, 02:15 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Ok ok, Car C for Banny.

CAR C. 330BHP URABUS CLAS - 20-28MPG - 1/4 12.5secs 0-60 4.0secs

Fast but rusty.
Old 28 November 2014, 02:49 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Matt....Do you consume a lot of crack?
Old 28 November 2014, 02:51 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok ok, Car C for Banny.

CAR C. 330BHP URABUS CLAS - 20-28MPG - 1/4 12.5secs 0-60 4.0secs

Fast but rusty.
Rusty but better than a cheap imitation of an STi
Old 28 November 2014, 02:52 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by banny sti
Rusty but better than a cheap imitation of an STi
come on banny matts trying, he has fitted a fake sti spoiler and bonnet scoop to fool the girlys in macdonalds
Old 28 November 2014, 02:53 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
Matt....Do you consume a lot of crack?
Sweaty rusty crack for sure
Old 28 November 2014, 02:55 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

lol half of them think I have a WRX V-Limited, just need the yellow stickers now!
Old 28 November 2014, 03:08 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Banter aside for a moment, in the accessory section below what yellow item is being advertised to go in the empty foglight? Or is it to just say a foglight surround is an optional extra?

Old 28 November 2014, 03:11 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

but hasnt the v limited got a genuine sti spoiler not a fake ill fitting ebay special like yours?
Old 28 November 2014, 03:15 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
but hasnt the v limited got a genuine sti spoiler not a fake ill fitting ebay special like yours?
WRX V-L certainly came off 2nd best in the alloy stakes.

All the uprated exterior parts on Billy are genuine V-Limited parts. Save for the bonnet scoop.

The wife had to fit the STI scoop to Billy's bonnet because it would have felt like rape.
Old 28 November 2014, 03:40 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

It doesn't take long before threads on this forum are turned into total bollocks, usually the same boring **** causing it too. Reasonable questions get torn to pieces on the first page, no wonder that these days Scoobynet rarely has anything of interest
Old 28 November 2014, 04:18 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
It doesn't take long before threads on this forum are turned into total bollocks, usually the same boring **** causing it too. Reasonable questions get torn to pieces on the first page, no wonder that these days Scoobynet rarely has anything of interest
+1 Can you not just start your own threads and troll each other instead of dragging this all over other peoples, that way those that want to read and partake in this drivel have somewhere to do it and the rest of us can have an adult discussion.

P.S Matt, I RTM'ed one of your posts and asked the mods to have a word.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 28 November 2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 28 November 2014, 04:25 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
what a load of crap !!! ^^^ , if you cant have fun in a 2005 WRX you can't drive ! end of , they are a good car . unless you are lewis Hamilton or Jason plato you are talking crap !
Right your turn prat.

If you had any idea how to drive then you would know that get a standard WRX anywhere near the limit and it understeers like a b1tch, there's so much roll it's like being at the fair ground, and the steering feel is next to non-exsistant, don't get me started on the brakes that after maybe 3/4 hard stops fade into non-exsistence.

Now if that's your idea of fun then lucky you.
Old 28 November 2014, 04:34 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

bull **** ! it's called proper driving , but by the sounds of it you drag strip down the bypass and don't corner unless it's driving into maccy ds try some real roads where you actually do feel the road better in a wrx rather than an sti , the sti feels like the pc is driving the car , if that's what the PS4 gen want , so be it . but I don't !
Old 28 November 2014, 04:41 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

bull **** ! it's called proper driving , but by the sounds of it you drag strip down the bypass and don't corner unless it's driving into maccy ds try some real roads where you actually do feel the road better in a wrx rather than an sti , the sti feels like the pc is driving the car , if that's what the PS4 gen want , so be it . but I don't !
Your just making it blatantly obvious to anyone that has a clue about driving that you don't have the foggiest.

P.S FYI, I have a 54 plate WRX Wagon PPP with AP 4pots and some handling mods and geo, my other car is a V3 STI Type R.
Old 28 November 2014, 04:46 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Seriously now, what the **** are you talking about ???
Old 28 November 2014, 05:12 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

OP - if you're still bothering to read this thread I think the mistake you made was buying a newage when you probably have been after a classic shaped Impreza. If its fun you want then it's going to be about 180kg lighter, and for similar money to your bugeye you could probably pick up a nice JDM STI (I think about 280bhp). It will be quicker, lighter and you will feel every bump. Then again if you go for a early JDM WRX you could probably pick one up for £1500, un-barry it and have a pretty quick WRX which would be bags of fun.

Quick Reply: Is an STI that much different from a WRX?