ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Is an STI that much different from a WRX? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1015938-is-an-sti-that-much-different-from-a-wrx.html)

webby771 27 November 2014 06:07 PM

Is an STI that much different from a WRX?

Hi all, long time viewer - first time poster.

So I bought my first Impreza about 6 months back, it's a 2003 WRX, and I'm afraid to say I'm a little underwhelmed. The Impreza was something that I always aspired to own, it had a rally bread background and as soon as it became attainable I bought one.

However, only being 19 my insurance premiums limited me to only a WRX. So I've done a few insurance quotes and the general consensus is that my next car could very well be an STI.

So, my question is as the title says. But I just can't see the STI being that much better than a WRX - after all, it is an Impreza.

Thanks in advance for your inputs,

Webby

b3nmw 27 November 2014 06:10 PM

It all depends what u want out of a car

b3nmw 27 November 2014 06:13 PM

The sti has a few upgrades over the wrx. If you are going to keep it standard then stay with the wrx but if u want more then go the sti route

fat-thomas 27 November 2014 06:16 PM

Ask rs matt but this would mean talking to yourself therefore rendering yourself mad,which explains a lot ;)

jayallen 27 November 2014 06:17 PM

Here we go..............

webby771 27 November 2014 06:30 PM

I've put quite a lot of thought into what I want out of a car and to be honest, it's quite simple - Fun.

I know the differences in terms of mechanicals between the STI and WRX, and I'm not afraid of modding.

So let me rephrase the question - If I don't like a WRX, will I like an STI?

Thanks for the replies.

ditchmyster 27 November 2014 06:34 PM

TBH if you want a fun car buy a clio cup or a mazda mx5.

wrx with 225bhp is pretty crap tbh, handle crap, stop crap and go crap.:thumb:

RS_Matt 27 November 2014 06:37 PM

Go NA! -

webby771 27 November 2014 06:41 PM

Ditch - My Dad drives an MX5 and he raves about it - I've driven it and I wasn't impressed, albeit a stock mk2 MX5. I think one of the things that has contributed to me disliking the WRX was that fact I had such high hopes for it before I owned it. I have, however been looking at S2000 and Boxster S'.

rs_matt - Sounds expensive...But awesome :)

Maybe I'm looking in completely the wrong direction. I just don't want to dismiss something before I've even driven it.

b3nmw 27 November 2014 06:44 PM

Get yourself an sti that has already had bits done to it and don't look bk

b3nmw 27 November 2014 06:45 PM

Boxster s not as gd as the sti. Nice though

Gear Head 27 November 2014 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by webby771 (Post 11569952)
I've put quite a lot of thought into what I want out of a car and to be honest, it's quite simple - Fun.

I know the differences in terms of mechanicals between the STI and WRX, and I'm not afraid of modding.

So let me rephrase the question - If I don't like a WRX, will I like an STI?

Thanks for the replies.

At 19, nobody knows what they want! Personally, I had a classic sti when I was 21. Now I have a Newage wrx at 32 and find it more than enough to satisfy my car crazy mind. I just don't see how you can use the extra performance of an sti on the road, without constantly breaking the speed limit or driving dangerously.

Track car = a different matter altogether.

53 27 November 2014 06:55 PM

The WRX is better in every way which is why I bought the lesser STi, far more suited to my bag of talent :)

fat-thomas 27 November 2014 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 11569984)
The WRX is better in every way which is why I bought the lesser STi, far more suited to my bag of talent :)

+1 the extreme acceleration and handling of the wrx would scare me so I bought the slow heavy model so I can sleep at night.

MattyB1983 27 November 2014 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11569958)

wrx with 225bhp is pretty crap tbh, handle crap, stop crap and go crap.:thumb:

This ^^^^^^

A newage WRX in stock form is pretty pathetic by today's standards to be honest.

MattyB1983 27 November 2014 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11569964)

Give it a rest with the N/A bollocks Matt.
The non turbo impreza is utterly sh1te, (yes I've had one and sold it within a few weeks).
The only possible way the N/A Impreza would be even remotely fun would require a huge bag of money.

BLU 27 November 2014 07:12 PM

If you want fun buy a modded classic. Newage STi is fun but a little more refined at the same time (if that makes sense :lol1:)! I've owned both btw!

ditchmyster 27 November 2014 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by webby771 (Post 11569968)
Ditch - My Dad drives an MX5 and he raves about it - I've driven it and I wasn't impressed, albeit a stock mk2 MX5. I think one of the things that has contributed to me disliking the WRX was that fact I had such high hopes for it before I owned it. I have, however been looking at S2000 and Boxster S'.

rs_matt - Sounds expensive...But awesome :)

Maybe I'm looking in completely the wrong direction. I just don't want to dismiss something before I've even driven it.

Now that's a proper machine, I love em, handles like an mx5 and goes reasonably well too.:cool:

I think you need to borrow your dads mx5 for a few days.;)

mind you if you throw a grand at your Wrx it'll be reasonably decent, just depends what you want it for, but like I said it's not really what I would call a "Fun" car, If you want fun in a Subaru you need to get a well set up STI Type R running around 330bhp now they are fun.

webby771 27 November 2014 07:41 PM

Firstly, thanks for everyone's input.

Secondly, I appreciate that a few mods and a good map can transform a car - but I'm limited to minor modifications so that I can keep my insurance premiums down, and a map is not minor lol.

Also, this car will also be a daily driver - so a track car is sort of not an option lol (I have toyed with the idea of something like a westfield, but today's weather proved that I need a roof!).

Ditch - Now that's an idea. I do like the idea of boosting an mx5, and as it'll be a 1.6 insurance is quite low :)

And again, I appreciate the input from you guys. I've been scratching my head over this for a while.

hodgy0_2 27 November 2014 07:52 PM

Get a pagani zonda, they are fvcking mental

thenewgalaxy 27 November 2014 09:18 PM

If you want driving thrills from a Subaru I'd get yourself a Jap import model, I'd recommend a Classic STI RA or a Newage Spec C (or Spec C RA if you can find one).

You'd probably need to wait a few years, you're young and insurers won't want to take a risk on insuring you in one of those.

At 19 I'd have gone for a Clio RS.

ossett2k2 27 November 2014 09:57 PM

Type RA=bags of fun and no need to mod :D

53 27 November 2014 10:06 PM

My daily MY03 vRS is faster and more rewarding to drive than my old standard WRX :)

The Trooper 1815 27 November 2014 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11570296)
Type RA=bags of fun and no need to mod :D

This.

fl@ four 27 November 2014 10:54 PM

Get a JDM STi, that twinscroll turbo is incredibly addictive! I've had mine a couple of days now and hitting the loud peddle just makes me giggle like a school girl, every time :)

I keep finding myself making any excuse to head out for another spin, it's far from underwhelming.

JayUK91 27 November 2014 11:37 PM

To refer back to the original question, here's a video explaining why the STi is that much better:

But I will say, an Impreza isn't a 'fun' car as such. Certainly not as fun as my previous MR2 - but the effortless power, handling and practicality make up for it.

RS_Matt 27 November 2014 11:58 PM

http://drischnie.homeip.net/www.suba.../V-Limited.htm

Buy one of these.

FMJ 28 November 2014 12:00 AM

If you can't enjoy driving a WRX at 19 I think all hope is lost.... Have you actually driven anything you liked? Jesus most people at your age are still caning the crap out of their 1.4 fiestas and corsa's and having a lot of fun doing it.

What is fun for you? Maybe get a motor bike if you want pure speed?

Maybe learn how to drive the WRX well (no comment on your driving just most people can improve a great deal).

I don't enjoy driving my Impreza's quite a lot of the time. But it's because there is little room to have fun safely. On the right day in the right weather I enjoy driving both my classic turbo AND my Hawk Sport R. It's not fast but throw it around and it squeals like a stuck pig and I love it lol.

RS_Matt 28 November 2014 12:08 AM

At 19 I had a Fiesta 950. One morning before college my battery failed and I swapped it for one I had kicking around, I slipped putting it in the engine bay and a load of fluid went over my jeans.

Circa 4pm at College my jeans literally started to decay before my eyes. Awkward.

jacob360 28 November 2014 01:05 AM

i got my bug wrx back in may when i was 19, went from a tuned 207 gti which had 220bhp and as soon as i drove the wrx it was worlds apart- although it has the prodrive pack so is slightly improved. i will not be going back to a hot hatch anytime soon