the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

**** em...........*******s
Old 16 November 2014, 09:27 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work onsite as a spark and the amount of bull **** that u have to put up with wearing gloves, glasses, permits and risk assessments and then u have to put up with a bunch of ****** who Are simply yes men, common sense has gone out if the window
Old 17 November 2014, 06:06 AM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

The women where I work wants everyone to do a training course on working on a foot ladder....

Bloody numptys, although with everyone putting claims in for breaking a finger nail, I can see why they do it
Old 17 November 2014, 07:18 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Our place is the same. We even had guys put on a training session on how to use a silicone gun! I get trained for stuff that could actually do damage though.
Old 17 November 2014, 07:37 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Country is fcuked, the only winners in all of this are training companies who offer bull$hit silly training courses. And yes we can now thank the work shy useless claim culture we now live in for it all.
Old 17 November 2014, 07:56 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

problem is people would soon sue if something went wrong and the ppe/paperwork wasnt in place. Blame them rather than the system.

But H+S is all about working and staying well and unhurt, unless your saying you dont want to be well and unhurt?
Old 17 November 2014, 08:07 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy

But H+S is all about working and staying well and unhurt, unless your saying you dont want to be well and unhurt?
HSE are going a too bit far now TBH, being robbed of common sense in favour of a silly regulation I object too, lots...
Old 17 November 2014, 08:15 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I heard this one; a ladder up against a grain silo inside a barn was not secured to the top of the silo. During an inspection, the farm manager was informed that no one was to use the ladder until it was secured at the top!
Old 17 November 2014, 08:43 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blame America and no win no fee solicitors...
Old 17 November 2014, 08:50 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I heard this one; a ladder up against a grain silo inside a barn was not secured to the top of the silo. During an inspection, the farm manager was informed that no one was to use the ladder until it was secured at the top!
Good one lol!
Old 17 November 2014, 10:35 AM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

It's over the top
Old 17 November 2014, 10:57 AM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Depends really. It's needed on building sites. We've lost three people in ten years and would have been much more if it weren't for H&S.

That said common sense went out the window years ago.
Old 17 November 2014, 05:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

We now live in a society where no-one is expected to take responsibility for his/her actions.
there can be no such thing as an "accident". SOMEONE must take the blame.

And as for responsibility, people are losing the will to make decisions. witness those who, on approaching a PELICON crossing on a quiet road, still press the button and wait for a green light before crossing, even if there is nothing coming.
Old 17 November 2014, 06:05 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Originally Posted by piehole1983
Good one lol!
Soon you will have to put a 'STOP' sign at the top of the ladder.
Old 17 November 2014, 06:20 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I spent the summer subbing for a large company, following their stringent H&S guidelines (which you wouldn't believe) Worked my **** off for months, getting up at 4am every day and helping them out in their 'hour of need'

I got soaked through one day and the next day wore my older boots which had a wear hole exposing the steel toe cap (can literally go through the toe in days on your knees on concrete). Totally secure boots still, just a hole, not flapping about or anything while my newer boots dried off for the day.

Went in to work and the H&S brigade were there, cordening off our work and making it near impossible to use a workshop. Anyway, I walked in to the kitchen to stick my lunch in the fridge and you'd have thought I'd gate crashed a secret FBI meeting. The three gentlemen (let's call them) looked at me like I'd just come in on a unicycle juggling chainsaws. I was greeted by the words, "first, you've just walked in on our H&S meeting, secondly your boots have a hole in and you will not be working here today"

I was so pi55ed but really had to bite my tongue for my mate's sake. It annoyed me so much I didn't go back, told my mate I wouldn't be working there anymore.
Old 17 November 2014, 08:12 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

Yes i agree they can be OTT but work for a boss who has no concept of H&S rules and trust me life can go down hill very quickly if and when a accident does happen.
Its ok for people to say well if the boss is that bad just leave the job, but when there is not many jobs out there and a family to feed you just have to go with it untill that one day when the big accident happens.
Old 17 November 2014, 08:21 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

We get stuck with that kinda thing sometimes, a job we know is dangerous and maybe requires proper access equipment such as a MEWP, the company train us on the proper risk assessing and what to do but our line manager often has other ideas to protect his budget. Whilst it is really annoying the way some of these H&S folks get on, most of the time it's worthwhile. There are of course times when it's just a pain in the *** and the H&S paperwork takes longer to sort out than the actual job!
Old 17 November 2014, 08:44 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
We get stuck with that kinda thing sometimes, a job we know is dangerous and maybe requires proper access equipment such as a MEWP, the company train us on the proper risk assessing and what to do but our line manager often has other ideas to protect his budget. Whilst it is really annoying the way some of these H&S folks get on, most of the time it's worthwhile. There are of course times when it's just a pain in the *** and the H&S paperwork takes longer to sort out than the actual job!
Ah see we never even had the training yes we knew what we were asked to do was very wrong but it was a case of "do it my way or there is the gate"!!!!)
Also funny enough it was a MEWP we needed to have but told to use the 360 with bucket on for face work i'm sure you can work out the rest.
Old 17 November 2014, 11:10 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you lot should try being a Lift Engineer 5 floors up, no safety gear standing on a guide bracket clinging to a wobbly guide that's only secured by two brackets drilling the holes for the 3rd. Now that's fun.
Old 17 November 2014, 11:15 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

We are lucky at our place, we have no health & safety at all.
Old 18 November 2014, 09:05 AM
edsel
Scooby Regular

I am that jobsworth. Never under estimate the stupidity of the general public.
This year there has been a fatality on site and more claims for paper cuts and sprains than I can count.
The reason I am that jobs worth is not because I'm the caring sharing kinda guy that wants all the stupid people to go home in one piece, Its because when they slip trip fall lose limbs etc they create too much paperwork. Fortunately I'm not the one that has to tell their wives "Johnny was acting like a **** and is now dead, sorry"
I dont plan to be that man sitting in court with the HSE questioning me either.

Last edited by edsel; 18 November 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 18 November 2014, 09:23 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I once was told to wear a hard hat in a empty field that had just been bought for development and had a few surveyors walking about. apparently it was a building site.

Try farming though, there's no H&S officer that could take a dairy farm on.
Old 18 November 2014, 04:10 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Calm down Mark ,have look how many people died on building sites before h and s you might understand .
Old 18 November 2014, 07:19 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
you lot should try being a Lift Engineer 5 floors up, no safety gear standing on a guide bracket clinging to a wobbly guide that's only secured by two brackets drilling the holes for the 3rd. Now that's fun.
Its fun untill it does go wrong.
I have never been one for H&S old school i supose just get on and do the job but, when it does go wrong boy its a world of trouble and pain not just for you but for your whole family aswell.
Even if the accident is not your fault the afteraffects are unbelievable it has taken me just over 24 mths to finally be told that i will not be prosacuted by the police and HSE.
Also the strain of going to inquests and such is not a thing i would wish on any person.
I was told to do the job when i responed that i was not really happy to do so i was told " well there is the gate" and as said before its hard to walk when you need the job/cash, so i got on with the job as asked the machine had devloped a fault which is/was impossable to see/know untill certain conditions arised which they did while doing said job end result was this ( i was machine driver)
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/sto...rial-accident/

He landed less than 6 foot in front of my window as you can imagine i now take H&S seriously.

Last edited by b road blaster; 18 November 2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 18 November 2014, 07:53 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The chancers on this thread who have said we have to do this and that and throw not only their or their workmates safety out of the window need shot at birth do you honestly realise the implications of having an accident at work what it costs not only to yourselves but also the company that you work for…….say for an example somebody gets clipped by a forklift at work possible loss of limb or worse death try telling that to your wife or kids left fatherless no wages coming in morgage arrears etc etc if you are lucky and survive possible disability for life no wages possible claim success but who knows that money woulnt last forever,the training courses are there to educate the individuals on what to do and to do it correctly and safely,unfortunatly its a claim society now in this country which costs companys a fortune in liability insurance which costs this is then passed onto the consumer so we all pay in a round about way.Companys which have a poor accident record dont get the jobs end of.Now before trolls come on and attack my stance on this my background is not the HSE, I work for and supervise multi disciplined teams for the company that I work for so have to deal with both sides of the coin.
Old 19 November 2014, 01:19 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
The chancers on this thread who have said we have to do this and that and throw not only their or their workmates safety out of the window need shot at birth do you honestly realise the implications of having an accident at work what it costs not only to yourselves but also the company that you work for…….say for an example somebody gets clipped by a forklift at work possible loss of limb or worse death try telling that to your wife or kids left fatherless no wages coming in morgage arrears etc etc if you are lucky and survive possible disability for life no wages possible claim success but who knows that money woulnt last forever,the training courses are there to educate the individuals on what to do and to do it correctly and safely,unfortunatly its a claim society now in this country which costs companys a fortune in liability insurance which costs this is then passed onto the consumer so we all pay in a round about way.Companys which have a poor accident record dont get the jobs end of.Now before trolls come on and attack my stance on this my background is not the HSE, I work for and supervise multi disciplined teams for the company that I work for so have to deal with both sides of the coin.

Well said. H&S always seems to be a pita however if the people who moan about h&s ever have a small accident or even experience inconvenience they will be the first to go running to the no win no fee solicitors after being told by their scummy mates how much they are 'entitled' to.
Old 19 November 2014, 02:31 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

H&S is all well and good for the morons of this world, but unfortunately when you work on site sometimes there is a job that needs to be done and there is no other way to do it other than grow a pair and get on with it, Having been a roofer and a lift engineer in my time as well as a few other jobs on building sites, I am more than aware of the risks involved, but a little common sense goes a long way, and yes I have **** myself on quite a few occasions but just stay calm and think about it and then do it.

How they would manage to build the sky scrapers in New York these days is beyond me.
Old 19 November 2014, 02:40 AM
Yardz
Scooby Regular

Breach of H&S is governed by civil law if you have found to be at fault you are guilty until proven innocent not the other way round. If you are prosecuted under PUWER or LOLER for instance you will walk away with 5k slap on a wrist or spend a jail sentence now this won't be down to the employer it's down to the employee. A firm has the legal obligation to provide a safe working environment but it's the employees responsibility to maintain that standard.

The reason it's there is so that is so that everyone goes home so they can come back the next day to a job. It's also there to make people responsible for the own actions. So that when they do go to these no win no fee claims they end up telling thrm to jog on because it was there fault for being conplete ignorant wally.
I spend a good two hours a day checking through safey walks checks sheets, sign offs etc and anyone found of ignoring the importance of these risk assessments will be promptly frog marched out the door for Gross Misconduct. Anyone who risks there livelihood through negligence is not fit to work IMO. as already stated I don't fancy having the HSE lot carrying out an investigation on my work place or standing in court telling the judge that numpty over there's dead because pretty much his an idiot.

Never under estimate how completely stupid the human race can be
Old 19 November 2014, 06:51 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
I once was told to wear a hard hat in a empty field that had just been bought for development and had a few surveyors walking about. apparently it was a building site.
Yea, random things dropping from the sky can be such a problem in the UK lol.