Sponsored by:

JDM in two weeks?

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2014, 04:48 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM in two weeks?

Hey all, so thanks again for the vast amount of information you gave me in my last post, I am back in little over two weeks now and need to get this car. I spoke to a guy at Boys Toys and also at Hurst cars and have to say that I really feel that the Hurst Car guy was reassuring and honest, thats not to say that boys toys weren't - but hopefully you know what I mean. So hurst have this JDM for £7,250 in the colour combo that I want (blue/gold), does anyone have any thoughts or advice? He said that although it is a pro drive model it isn't the same as having a type UK with the PPP fitted and that it is 280 BHP standard and not 260- so more to begin with and he also said that for around £900 he can supply/fit an exhaust, fuel pump and a panel filter, along with a remap - any thoughts on this? Surely it would then be around the 330 mark? And then I am ready to go,

Any thought greatly welcome
Here is the link
Best wishes,

Lloyd
Old 26 October 2014, 04:49 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Apologies,

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars/subaru-impreza-bedford-201410158243647

Here is the link ;-)
Old 26 October 2014, 05:04 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

You won't go wrong with Hurst. Their reputation is very good for a reason. I've heard bad things about Boy's Toys though. I'm sure someone off here had a bad experience with them.
Old 26 October 2014, 05:39 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydsound
Hey all, so thanks again for the vast amount of information you gave me in my last post, I am back in little over two weeks now and need to get this car. I spoke to a guy at Boys Toys and also at Hurst cars and have to say that I really feel that the Hurst Car guy was reassuring and honest, thats not to say that boys toys weren't - but hopefully you know what I mean. So hurst have this JDM for £7,250 in the colour combo that I want (blue/gold), does anyone have any thoughts or advice? He said that although it is a pro drive model it isn't the same as having a type UK with the PPP fitted and that it is 280 BHP standard and not 260- so more to begin with and he also said that for around £900 he can supply/fit an exhaust, fuel pump and a panel filter, along with a remap - any thoughts on this? Surely it would then be around the 330 mark? And then I am ready to go,

Any thought greatly welcome
Here is the link
Best wishes,

Lloyd
http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01410158243647

Good car at a fair price that. The Bugeye cars are my favourite of the newage models.

The JDM Prodrive car is a limited edition STI based on the regular JDM Bug STI. So it'll come with things like a rear windscreen wiper and iirc folding wing mirrors. It also comes with a non-dccd six speed box and a short shift, and also the short ratios at the top end as in later Spec C models.

It comes with a single scroll turbo setup and has an engine that is factory-fitted with "forged pistons" and although probably not comparable to the high end Mahle or Cosworth aftermarket types they're likely to cope well with 400+ bhp.

These cars are starting to be seriously affected by rust issues so be sure to have a look at it from underneath, and also get it undersealed when it is in your possession. They do well with being kept garaged.

When it comes to tuning, I'm not sure who Hurst use but I'm sure someone will be able to give you more info on that. These cars can be tuned to circa 400bhp quite easily, though a remap and exhaust will see big gains from the stock 280. Uprating the panel filter, fuel pump and injectors can push to mid 300s.

If you do up the power considerably then it is worth considering brake pad upgrades as a minimum, and maybe discs too.
Old 26 October 2014, 05:42 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Low mileage on that Bugeye, too.

If you think that it's nearly 13 years old (let's say 12) then it's only covered 4750 miles a year on average.
Old 26 October 2014, 05:51 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mate picked his up from hurst three/four weeks ago, i pick up mine from hurst on tuesday assuming alll well, which after various conversations with max and experiance from mates purchase should be fine.

my new one

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01408136555005
Old 26 October 2014, 05:52 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to see the prodrive yesterday and I wasn't that impressed by it. He is apparently getting a few things sorted so it could look a lot better than what I seen afterwards?

Trending Topics

Old 26 October 2014, 07:19 PM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

I'm sure Max can confirm who he uses for any upgrades as he does post on here now and then. You could buy the bits and pieces yourself and map it with someone of your choice for about the same price so I wouldn't say its a must do at the moment.

Plus one for Hurst Cars, he has a great reputation and for good reason too. He certainly has an impressive stock list.
Old 26 October 2014, 07:42 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

great replies many thanks, looks like a possible candidate then, getting excited
Old 27 October 2014, 04:31 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

You know what? I hate to say this..................... there is something unattractive about this model, i dont know why !!! think its the front headlights, and no proper sound? Surely cant be that different
Old 27 October 2014, 05:06 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

No proper sound? Bugeyes have a real burble to them matey, proper Subaru noise that.

The looks of the bugeye are marmite, I personally think the STI versions look awesome.
Old 27 October 2014, 05:19 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Yeah maybe it will grow on me, after all it looks the same elsewhere if not a little squarer in places? I stand corrected regarding the noise, I thought that the JDM cars didn't have the burble, 280 BHP is a lovely starting point
Old 27 October 2014, 05:19 PM
Deanamoore
Scooby Regular

I have just sold my prodrive bug it gets picked up sat.i am dreading the lad coming to get it as I am thinking deep down its the wrong thing to do.i bought it from max,he said the day he sold it to me he would have it back,a man to his word he offered me a deal.but I sold it to a fella who had been looking for a bug with a stroker kit on it.max being a genuine guy even said pass my number onto the lad if he wants more history about the car b4 me.coukdnt meet a better seller with great spec cars
Old 27 October 2014, 05:41 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Yeah maybe it will grow on me, after all it looks the same elsewhere if not a little squarer in places? I stand corrected regarding the noise, I thought that the JDM cars didn't have the burble, 280 BHP is a lovely starting point
Twin scroll models don't but they more than make up for it.
Old 27 October 2014, 05:41 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Great to hear, I am in a bit of a difficult situation as I am returning to no car at all, and combining that with the fact that to see a car I need to get the train (and Bedford is a good hour from where I am), not to mention - my excitement, I could easily go against my initial plan of test driving a few different models and just get the bug straight away, I am sure I will end up loving the front lights, and am sure I'm gonna love the performance. Max said that an RAC (or whoever) inspection would be welcome but it could be a waste of money - I thought he was maybe just doing his bit as a salesman, but maybe i really dont need to have anyone else look at it
Old 28 October 2014, 08:47 AM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Sorry to keep banging on about it but I am at a real crossroads here. I am starting to really love the bug eye if i am honest, it almost seems to be a nice blend of the original and the new shape, and if i am honest again then i think the additional vent on the roof and other ninja-like features give it a real unique evilness, which sets it aside from the others, but if you take a look at this link

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...reza?logcode=p

this exact model/colour is the very reason I want an impreza, in my opinion it is a work of art. Now I know this is dragging on but its my first purchase and wanna make the right choice, so if anyone can think of any reasons to save the extra couple of grand (which would obviously be very helpful) and stick with the bug eye for any technical reasons other than personal preference then it'd be greatly appreciated. As far as I can tell the later model is one I see a lot more of on the streets (being a type UK i guess) so it is more common, i think its prettier, has a bigger engine but still 280BHP, but maybe it has a twin scroll turbo and better tuning capabilities, although i guess some would argue i could spend the additional couple of grand on the mods for the bug and have even more power? I see the later model only has 160 on the clock but a higher top speed - not something i plan to reach really, as well as the DCCD switch? But the import car redlines at 8,000 RPM making it more of a screamer? Im sure i am back to a six-of-one argument and i need to drive them both and maybe the older one will feel more unique and special but the newer one looks better and will feel more modern. Something I havent mentioned yet is that my job can require me to drive up to 80 miles per day (round trip). most of which will be motorway driving - i know some would argue that i should get a big comfy car for this journey but right now thats not an option.

One last point - my license is currently not in the best shape but will be clean in April - is this likely to mean the import is more expensive to insure?

Thanks again guys

Lloyd

Last edited by lloydsound; 28 October 2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 28 October 2014, 10:26 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to keep banging on about it but I am at a real crossroads here. I am starting to really love the bug eye if i am honest, it almost seems to be a nice blend of the original and the new shape, and if i am honest again then i think the additional vent on the roof and other ninja-like features give it a real unique evilness, which sets it aside from the others, but if you take a look at this link

this exact model/colour is the very reason I want an impreza, in my opinion it is a work of art. Now I know this is dragging on but its my first purchase and wanna make the right choice, so if anyone can think of any reasons to save the extra couple of grand (which would obviously be very helpful) and stick with the bug eye for any technical reasons other than personal preference then it'd be greatly appreciated. As far as I can tell the later model is one I see a lot more of on the streets (being a type UK i guess) so it is more common, i think its prettier, has a bigger engine but still 280BHP, but maybe it has a twin scroll turbo and better tuning capabilities, although i guess some would argue i could spend the additional couple of grand on the mods for the bug and have even more power? I see the later model only has 160 on the clock but a higher top speed - not something i plan to reach really, as well as the DCCD switch? But the import car redlines at 8,000 RPM making it more of a screamer? Im sure i am back to a six-of-one argument and i need to drive them both and maybe the older one will feel more unique and special but the newer one looks better and will feel more modern. Something I havent mentioned yet is that my job can require me to drive up to 80 miles per day (round trip). most of which will be motorway driving - i know some would argue that i should get a big comfy car for this journey but right now thats not an option.

One last point - my license is currently not in the best shape but will be clean in April - is this likely to mean the import is more expensive to insure?

Thanks again guys

Lloyd
No the type uk has the chocolate 2.5 engine that will kill itself at some point, stick with the bug. A JDM hawk is a 10k plus car!
Old 28 October 2014, 11:48 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys

Lloyd
Hi buddy the car in the link is a Hawkeye which has a 2.5 engine. The 2.5 does come with the risk of hg failure or ringland failure (pistons go) but there are people who buy them and have no problems. If you were to get one then could be a good idea to factor in 2-3k for new pistons and a rebuild at some point, you can buy hawkeyes with forged internals already done but best to do a bit of reading on "ringland failures " to make sure you know the risks.

The spec d is a Hawkeye sti with a small wing and leather seats but can be had for less than the uk sti hawkeye so could give you the budget for a forged rebuild.

I've only had one JDM car and did have a few points on my license at the time but was about the same as the uk blob that i had at the same time.

If you're new to Subaru you would be best getting a 2.0 blob/bug though, all cars can have there problems but best to play it as safe as you can. The JDM cars rev higher, have shorter ratio gearbox and twinscoll turbos which all add up to a better track car but don't have the familiar subaru burble. The uk cars do have the familiar burble and like for like are cheaper. It comes down to whether you are willing to spend more money for less burble but a slightly more focused track car.
Old 28 October 2014, 02:30 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

That's very helpful so maybe I need to go for a JDM blob as I think this JDM bug I am looking at from hurst is single scroll, not sure if I have seen a JDM blob I blue and gold yet, learning lots here
Old 28 October 2014, 06:43 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

That's very helpful so maybe I need to go for a JDM blob as I think this JDM bug I am looking at from hurst is single scroll, not sure if I have seen a JDM blob I blue and gold yet, learning lots here
What's your budget, a blob JDM will cost quite a bit more than a uk car. If you are planning on keeping it standard then the JDM could be worth the extra money but if you're planning on big mods a uk blob will give you a cheaper starting point.
Old 28 October 2014, 07:37 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Well I don't mind spending ten all in - so if I could get a JDM blob for 8.5 or 9 and spend 1.5 adding some little toys and then i'd live with it at whatever it was up to, 350 BHP would be nice but I'm sure that's asking a lot, part of me thinks just go with the bug and learn to love it, the other part thinks no go with your original preference of the prettier car
Old 28 October 2014, 07:37 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Is there much difference in performance between the two at stock? And is the modding more expensive on the blob?
Old 30 October 2014, 08:42 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Deposit down, will sort the insurance, can't wait, although Max hasn't sent off the Paperwork to register it yet so maybe I'm gonna have a couple of weeks when I get back, grrrrr feel excited though. Maybe gonna need some running advice as I'm sure it needs some extra TLC???
Old 30 October 2014, 10:54 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Deposit down, will sort the insurance, can't wait, although Max hasn't sent off the Paperwork to register it yet so maybe I'm gonna have a couple of weeks when I get back, grrrrr feel excited though. Maybe gonna need some running advice as I'm sure it needs some extra TLC???
For the Bugeye?

Nice!
Old 30 October 2014, 11:00 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Yep 😃
Old 31 October 2014, 05:44 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

nice, when I use to have my classics, I never liked the bugeye at all. I sold my classic about 2 years ago, and now drive around in a jdm bug sti and I love it to bits!
(it was from max at Hurst as well)
Old 31 October 2014, 06:55 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ian
nice, when I use to have my classics, I never liked the bugeye at all. I sold my classic about 2 years ago, and now drive around in a jdm bug sti and I love it to bits!
(it was from max at Hurst as well)
It's funny how a few years can make a car grow on you.
Old 31 October 2014, 11:21 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Great to hear, any advice regarding looking after her?
Old 01 November 2014, 12:22 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

one of the first things I done to mine was to get it undersealed
Old 01 November 2014, 07:02 AM
Deanamoore
Scooby Regular

You will not be disapointed,mine gets picked up today by its new owner :-(,it cost a fortune to mod them am you never get the money back you put it.so remember that.i got some good power figures out of mine the bugeye is a fantastic car,just keep on top of the bodywork,clean polish wax seal it.they do not like the English weather.an if you can get it in the garage at night is always good .enjoy ya new car you will love it:-)

Quick Reply: JDM in two weeks?