Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Geniune Design Flaw, STi 7 Prodrive? Or not...?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2002, 06:50 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

To all STi 7 Prodrive edition owners, or ones with the WR Prodrive spoiler fitted...

Washed my car today and notice something rather odd.

Opened the boot lid as I always do after washing it to let the water run away from around the spoiler. Looked at the top of the rear bumper, just back from the rubber seal, on either side, about an inch in from both light clusters...

Appears that the paint is being rubbed away by something. It is bang in line with the tail gate lip when closed....?

I shut the boot, tried pressing down on the lid, and couldn't get it to go anywhere near the bumper.

Was wondering, could this be downforce inflicted when driving the car at speed. I do a hell of a lot of motorway miles, avg 80-90 mph.

Is this a design flaw??? And more importantly, anyone else got this problem.... My car has 6500 miles on the clock now..

Cheers

Simon
Old 01 June 2002, 06:53 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Not noticed that one on mine(rushes outside to look)....

I mostly do motorway miles(2400 atm) and not seen anything dodgy. It is a wibbly spoiler though.
Old 01 June 2002, 06:54 PM
HYP1C
Scooby Regular

It's probably when you shut the boot.
I had the same problem with mine at first, but adjusted it upwards .Now no problems.
Cheers
Gary
Old 01 June 2002, 06:57 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Neil

What do you mean Wibbly??? Yes, when driving the car, the top centre of the spoiler moves up and down, but seen posts on here to suggest this is normal behaviour. Well normal in Subaru/IM terms..

H1PYC

Don't know, will get her indoors to shut the boot while I watch... Although I have to say, the boot lid is so stiff when it is shut, I can't see how it would travel the 4-5mm or so extra downwards... You never know though...

If it is this then, wonder what my friendly Scoob dealer will say if I gripe about it on a warranty job.... Cars only 3 months old....

Cheers

Simon
Old 01 June 2002, 07:28 PM
HYP1C
Scooby Regular

Mine was scuffing the paint after a few days because you had to slam the boot so hard to shut it.The dealer adjusted it,so now it shuts with a very light touch.
Would have thought you'll be lucky to get any response than an apology and an adjustment from the dealers.Good luck though.
Cheers
Gary
Old 01 June 2002, 10:55 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Simon,

As you know mine has the same spoiler as yours and with the job, loads of motorway driving and the boot lid gets well used. No marks or scuffing on the bumper and I'm in for my 10K service next week.

I'm in Maple Park Wed and Fri if you want to pop in and compare notes. Friday may be the best as you can come and look at the tarty front lip that's being fitted on Thurs!

Ken