Sponsored by:

Anti Lag, Launch Control and aftermarket DV's

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2014, 10:56 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anti Lag, Launch Control and aftermarket DV's

What the f**k is the point of having any of the above fitted to or added when having the car mapped?

I struggle to see the point of AL and LC on a normal run of the mill Impreza or even modded for that matter. Do they not understand the trouble AL causes on anything but sprint/hillclimb/proper rally cars.

DV's are different as I understand some people want to stand out like racing dogs b0llocks by fitting chav valves but don't care about the issues fitting them cause.

But why?
Old 17 October 2014, 11:04 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of those 3 the only one I would ever consider is launch control but even then I'd hardly ever use it in fear of ruining my car.
Old 17 October 2014, 11:09 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Your money spend it on what you want, is what it ultimately comes down to..
Old 17 October 2014, 11:12 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to think the same, but we've had the ESL motorsports system tested for over a year on the Kamikaze GF8 that is winning this years Euro Gymkhana Grid and it hasn't broken a single thing, despite getting battered every time it goes out, and on a VF35.
Old 17 October 2014, 11:17 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
I used to think the same, but we've had the ESL motorsports system tested for over a year on the Kamikaze GF8 that is winning this years Euro Gymkhana Grid and it hasn't broken a single thing, despite getting battered every time it goes out, and on a VF35.
OK that's great, it's a Gymkhana car but why the f*ck do people want it added to their mapping for on their normal Impreza's?
Old 17 October 2014, 11:26 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

each to their own, your is spoilerless according to your pic, why not just get a mondeo?

With the spoiler being one of the defining features of the impreza it takes away from the car what it is, but of course thats all based on a personal opinion
Old 17 October 2014, 11:38 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
What the f**k is the point of having any of the above fitted to or added when having the car mapped?

I struggle to see the point of AL and LC on a normal run of the mill Impreza or even modded for that matter. Do they not understand the trouble AL causes on anything but sprint/hillclimb/proper rally cars.

DV's are different as I understand some people want to stand out like racing dogs b0llocks by fitting chav valves but don't care about the issues fitting them cause.

But why?
Anti lag combined with a chavtastic dump valve is a very good way of scaring little old ladies in town.

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2014, 11:41 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Tidgy
each to their own, your is spoilerless according to your pic, why not just get a mondeo?

With the spoiler being one of the defining features of the impreza it takes away from the car what it is, but of course thats all based on a personal opinion
The WRX RA did not have a spoiler fitted, it was an optional extra
Old 17 October 2014, 11:51 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

My personal view - take it or leave it.
I struggle to see the point of AL. But why?
A bit of fun and nothing more useful than that on a road car. Virtually everything you do carries some kind of risk. As long as you understand the risk, it doesn't harm anybody else, and you are prepared for the consequences, I see no harm in a bit of fun. I don't know why anybody would drive normally with AL engaged though, very uncomfortable.

I struggle to see the point of LC on a normal run of the mill Impreza or even modded for that matter.
I don't see any point in LC either. Unless you are dragging the car. Properly installed LC not only raises the RPM to the make use of peak torque, but will also build boost in the process. More use than AL, but still fun. Again there's the associated risk of causing damage. My view is if I break my car on the road I am going to be really seriously pi55ed off. If it breaks on track, it's an honourable death.

DV's are different as I understand some people want to stand out like racing dogs b0llocks by fitting chav valves but don't care about the issues fitting them cause. But why?
Not necessarily anything to do with Chav culture if you understand the reason for fitting an aftermarket DV. Some years ago whilst having my car mapped at RCM I got talking to one of their guys up there about a small loss of boost I was experiencing. He told me that the OEM DV which I had fitted at the time was prone to leakage above 1.7bar and that I should think about fitting a good quality aftermarket DV. I fitted a Turbosmart dual port and promptly picked up 0.15bar.
Old 17 October 2014, 11:53 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Old 17 October 2014, 12:10 PM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
Anti lag combined with a chavtastic dump valve is a very good way of scaring little old ladies in town.
Old 17 October 2014, 12:44 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I have the ESL motorsports pack on my road going type r.

I don't get much lag between gears anyway and the al via the iscv is minimal but still there. It doesn't hurt.

The lc/tc is brilliant but agreed its probably a drag strip thing. As its always switch on I have used it on the odd occasion to get moving quickly. Its all mappable so doesn't have to be as harsh as you think. How about trying 3k rpm with 0.5 bar boost to get off a busy round about quickly?

They are called motorsport for a reason.

I have them because I can and they are fun. The same reason I own the Impreza.
Old 17 October 2014, 12:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

The WRX RA did not have a spoiler fitted, it was an optional extra
option or not, still looks pants without it hahaha

and on a side note, the anitlag systems you see on the road arnt really proper anti lag.

Interesting thing is i know someone who nearly had a crash when the 'anti lag' was set to high and it caused there brakes to fail lol
Old 17 October 2014, 12:49 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

It doesn't cause the brakes to fail, it reduces the vacuum available to the brake servo.
Old 17 October 2014, 12:53 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

The LC is very useful on the dragstrip, especially when combined with TC and Flatshift. Although I have a laggy turbo on my car, I've got 1.5bar at standstill and all of the above mean my boost never drops at all.

Edited to add: It isn't compatible with a TY752 gearbox.
Old 17 October 2014, 12:54 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

It doesn't cause the brakes to fail, it reduces the vacuum available to the brake servo.
so they don't work as expected, um, isn't that a failure lol

on an actual tech note, could it put positive pressure on the system if it was aggressive enough?
Old 17 October 2014, 12:56 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

So the brakes failed in not operating 100%.
Old 17 October 2014, 12:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

So the brakes failed in not operating 100%.
bit more substantial than just not '100%', def something for folks to be aware of.
Old 17 October 2014, 12:59 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by banny sti
Yep. Very Japshow Final!
Old 17 October 2014, 01:02 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

The brakes work as before but without vacuum assistance, so you need a stronger push to achieve the same braking force. If you aren't expecting it I guess it would feel a bit scary.

You can achieve positive boost with ALS but you would need a way of cracking open the throttle slightly (can be done with a solenoid or choke cable, or by adjusting the throttle stop), but I wouldn't do it on a road car as the driveability would suffer and you would lose servo assistance as already discussed.
Old 17 October 2014, 01:05 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Here's the GF8 doing a dyno launch using ESL:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=272883682900623
Old 17 October 2014, 01:30 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy

Agreed. Too many people trying to stealth a car that has always incontrovertibly screamed look at me.

They'll harp on 24/7 about Atmospheric Dump Valves causing a rich over-run and scaring old ladies, then they'll get a pop and bang map.

A pressurised air sound is uncool but a chirp is awesome.

Stickers, roaring 4.5" tailpipes and roof vents are naff but the Subaru Rally car made them want a Scoob in the 1st place.

It's all very paradoxical.

The problem with the Subaru is that it appeals to men from the ages of 2 to 62. It's rare you'll see a Barry-boy Aston Martin or Alfa Romeo as they only appeal to Grandads... ...or the TOP Gear team.

Subaru have made a conscious effort to aim the WRX at a slightly more conservative market but the little 6yo is still trying to get out of most Imp owners.

TBH I am a purist like Thomas, I don't like to see bulbous aftermarket bodykits or bizarre paint/decal jobs but I still think loud noises, spoilers and certain stickers done right are rightly inherent to the marque.
Old 17 October 2014, 01:41 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Agreed. Too many people trying to stealth a car that has always incontrovertibly screamed look at me.

They'll harp on 24/7 about Atmospheric Dump Valves causing a rich over-run and scaring old ladies, then they'll get a pop and bang map.

A pressurised air sound is uncool but a chirp is awesome.

Stickers, roaring 4.5" tailpipes and roof vents are naff but the Subaru Rally car made them want a Scoob in the 1st place.

It's all very paradoxical.

The problem with the Subaru is that it appeals to men from the ages of 2 to 62. It's rare you'll see a Barry-boy Aston Martin or Alfa Romeo as they only appeal to Grandads... ...or the TOP Gear team.

Subaru have made a conscious effort to aim the WRX at a slightly more conservative market but the little 6yo is still trying to get out of most Imp owners.

TBH I am a purist like Thomas, I don't like to see bulbous aftermarket bodykits or bizarre paint/decal jobs but I still think loud noises, spoilers and certain stickers done right are rightly inherent to the marque.
the wrx is not aimed at the purist at all, its aimed at being a cheap alternative to the sti.
the spec d is aimed at people that want an impreza with the go and not the show.
i dont like the look of the sti at all and agree with the view the interior is horrible to the point i changed the whole lot to black stuff .

Last edited by fat-thomas; 17 October 2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 17 October 2014, 02:12 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
the wrx is not aimed at the purist at all, its aimed at being a cheap alternative to the sti.
the spec d is aimed at people that want an impreza with the go and not the show.
i dont like the look of the sti at all and agree with the view the interior is horrible to the point i changed the whole lot to black stuff .

It's not just about the cost for some of us, it's also about the ride and as you mention the garish looks, although I like value for money it wasn't the sole basis for my decision to side step the STI and go for a WRX, I know the STI is mechanically stronger but the boy racer looks really put me off, the spec d is probably more my style but again in comes the ride and gearing.

For daily use and the odd bit of spirited driving / overtaking a tweaked WRX is plenty of car for most people and easy to live with, as well as being pretty rapid even compared to much younger sporty cars and still has very respectable tuning potential, a 330/350bhp WRX is a quick car which will take some beating on the road and require something quite special to do so.

As for anti-lag it's just a bit of fun.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 17 October 2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 17 October 2014, 02:29 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

When I bought the Subaru I didn't know the differences between the two, I expect most car enthusiasts are the same.

My friend who knows a lot about cars wouldn't be able to answer me if I randomly asked him what was the difference between an EVO GSR or RS.
Old 17 October 2014, 02:34 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought the Subaru I didn't know the differences between the two, I expect most car enthusiasts are the same.

My friend who knows a lot about cars wouldn't be able to answer me if I randomly asked him what was the difference between an EVO GSR or RS.
doesnt make it a purists car though and the thing that distinguishes the sti impreza is the large rear wing, not fitted to wrxs from the factory

the rs is the lightweight version without ayc
Old 17 October 2014, 02:49 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

doesnt make it a purists car though and the thing that distinguishes the sti impreza is the large rear wing, not fitted to wrxs from the factory

the rs is the lightweight version without ayc
Is there such thing as a purists car

I meant purist in not adding daft items or colour schemes. Keeping things relatively stock looking.

RS has ****e steel wheels and taxi driver seats too etc. It's like the WRX, a blank canvas!

Cheaper faster lighter RS>GSR
Cheaper faster lighter WRX>STI
Old 17 October 2014, 02:53 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You

Not necessarily anything to do with Chav culture if you understand the reason for fitting an aftermarket DV. Some years ago whilst having my car mapped at RCM I got talking to one of their guys up there about a small loss of boost I was experiencing. He told me that the OEM DV which I had fitted at the time was prone to leakage above 1.7bar and that I should think about fitting a good quality aftermarket DV. I fitted a Turbosmart dual port and promptly picked up 0.15bar.
Think I once read WRC teams or turbo car manufacturers (can't remember which) would use a VTA but stringent noise restrictions ruled them out.

Don't quote me.
Old 17 October 2014, 02:54 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Is there such thing as a purists car

I meant purist in not adding daft items or colour schemes. Keeping things relatively stock looking.

RS has ****e steel wheels and taxi driver seats too etc. It's like the WRX, a blank canvas!

Cheaper faster lighter RS>GSR
Cheaper faster lighter WRX>STI
The RS is nothing like the wrx, it has the same engine and stronger drivetrain than the GSR. The wrx has inferior engine and drivetrain compared to the sti
Old 17 October 2014, 02:58 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
The RS is nothing like the wrx, it has the same engine and stronger drivetrain than the GSR. The wrx has inferior engine and drivetrain compared to the sti
Cheaper drivetrain that allows RS users scope for enhancement!

Were the brakes inferior on the RS too

Quick Reply: Anti Lag, Launch Control and aftermarket DV's