Sponsored by:

Classic 5spd DCCD into Blobeye?

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2014, 08:03 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Classic 5spd DCCD into Blobeye?

Don't know much about these but interested to know if it's worth doing? Does this setup give a more rear biased torque split than the standard WRX setup?

They seem fairly well priced when they come up for sale used so as I am due to have my dodgy box swapped out this week, it's worth me checking these things out before it's done!
Old 28 September 2014, 10:24 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I wouldn't bother as the classic boxes are not as strong as the Newage boxes (I know you said yours is dodgy) higher mileage, most probably abused.

I've gone through 2 5 speed DCCD boxes (V4 and a V5),V4 went after about 2 years of owning the car and perhaps I was not the most gentle on it and the V5 has 3rd/4th synchro going and doesn't like going into 5th gear at high revs although 5th gear is from a Bugeye WRX.

Also the ratios for these gearboxes are better suited to sprinting not motorway cruising hence why I've picked up a 6 speed DCCD box

If you have Facebook there are loads of breakers/private sellers stripping cars recently and some of their prices are ridiculously low saw a 6 speed/rear diff being sold for £1100,no idea of the condition tbh but even still a bargain
Old 28 September 2014, 11:31 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers, it's not worth bothering then by the sounds of it. Not sure on spending over a grand at the minute. I honestly don't know if it's worth sinking that much into the car at this point.
Old 29 September 2014, 12:57 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your gearbox examined to see how much that will cost you.

API recon gearboxes so may be worth asking them a few questions.

I'm lucky that the 6 speed I bought was bloody cheap and i happen to have the cash at the time.