Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2014, 01:37 PM
SteScooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum and to Subaru

Hi,

Names Stephen

Im new to the forum mainly joined as looking to get an idea on Subarus and in particular the blob and hawkeye sti.

I'm currently looking to buy one and will have ruffly 8k to spend on one in about a weeks time.

I was just wanting to know what to look out for when buying one and what kind of things i should avoid or any known common faults i should know about.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27 September 2014, 02:40 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Hi buddy

What are you looking to do with it?

Do you want it as a daily and will be doing lots of miles, will you be keeping it standard (good chance you wont now you've come on here) if you want to modify it what will you be looking for?

The hawkeye has the 2.5 engine which should be ok in a wrx but have lots of horror stories about the sti, if you want any type of 2.5 you need to do lots of searching on here and Google to make yourself aware, don't just take one or two members opinions.

The 2.0 is pretty strong though and with your budget it's probably going to be what you are after, they can suffer from knocking shocks but no big problem, make sure that any subaru you buy it's got GOOD history, these cars need high ron fuel and good oil, if some average joe that knows nothing about Subarus has owned it then it might be a problem waiting to happen.

But again what is your end game?
Old 27 September 2014, 02:53 PM
tarquin crispin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
Hi buddy

What are you looking to do with it?

Do you want it as a daily and will be doing lots of miles, will you be keeping it standard (good chance you wont now you've come on here) if you want to modify it what will you be looking for?

The hawkeye has the 2.5 engine which should be ok in a wrx but have lots of horror stories about the sti, if you want any type of 2.5 you need to do lots of searching on here and Google to make yourself aware, don't just take one or two members opinions.

The 2.0 is pretty strong though and with your budget it's probably going to be what you are after, they can suffer from knocking shocks but no big problem, make sure that any subaru you buy it's got GOOD history, these cars need high ron fuel and good oil, if some average joe that knows nothing about Subarus has owned it then it might be a problem waiting to happen.

But again what is your end game?

Unless you buy the JDM twinscroll which you need a bigger budget for some biased reviews on here about the UK 2.0, the chocolate 2.5's and the JDM 2.0 which many prefer over the other models theres plenty of info on here the search button will provide you with the answers then make your choice
Old 27 September 2014, 02:56 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

avoid the 2.5 despite advice above the wrx has issues similar to the sti
Old 27 September 2014, 03:01 PM
SteScooby
Scooby Newbie

My main goal at the moment will be to enjoy it for a few month then i want to aim for around 400bhp with some sensible handling mods, when looking i am mainly seeing the blobeye come up in sti form but i have noticed the odd spec D hawkeye crop up within my budget. I was aware of some problems the 2.5 has but the more i look around the more of a horror story they sound.

I've wanted an impreza for quite awhile now and at 28 with my insurance being pennies it feels like the right time to treat myself to one.
Old 27 September 2014, 03:07 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteScooby
My main goal at the moment will be to enjoy it for a few month then i want to aim for around 400bhp with some sensible handling mods, when looking i am mainly seeing the blobeye come up in sti form but i have noticed the odd spec D hawkeye crop up within my budget. I was aware of some problems the 2.5 has but the more i look around the more of a horror story they sound.

I've wanted an impreza for quite awhile now and at 28 with my insurance being pennies it feels like the right time to treat myself to one.
for 8k your best bet is a 2.0 sti.
Old 27 September 2014, 03:30 PM
SteScooby
Scooby Newbie

I am leaning more towards the 2.0 I will start car shopping end of next week as i have plenty of time to find the right one.

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2014, 08:07 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

If you see one you like that's for sale then pop the link in this thread and we'll have a look at it for you, keep in mind there are some doggy dealers out there selling subarus at the moment so best check on here first.

If you have got the money a spec d can have the engine forged which will make it stong but with it being your first best play it safe and get a blob sti, 2005 widetrack is a good one but would be at top end of your budget if not more.
Old 28 September 2014, 02:16 PM
SteScooby
Scooby Newbie

yeah ive noticed the odd one at the top of what i have but i would be able to have a good look till later in the week. But i will pop the links into here that i find so they can get the once over.
Old 28 September 2014, 03:53 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

When you purchase get some pictures up be nice too see
Old 29 September 2014, 12:33 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteScooby

Hi, and welcome to SN.

When you say "400bhp" can I ask why?
Reason is that do you think that a 400bhp is better than, say, a 360 one?
It wouldn't be if the 360 had vastly superior suspension and brakes for example, and without being in any way critical of you, would you be able to tell or use the difference?

Something(s) to consider, and perhaps save yourself a few quid (which you'll need once you get into the Scooby scene ).

Hope you get a good one m8.
Post on here when there's one in your sights, you'll get bags of genuine advice.
Old 29 September 2014, 03:10 PM
SteScooby
Scooby Newbie

It was just a ruff figure to aim towards nothing set in stone as of yet.
I'm in work until Friday but have the weekend off so going to start the looking properly then just need to make sure i get a good one to start with as my last car (mk4 golf gti) has been nothing but bother since the day after i got it lol.
Old 29 September 2014, 05:28 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Yea i know to people that had mark 4 golfs and had loads of problems, did you have the fault where the car randomly winds all the windows down lol