Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musings about a Hawkeye WRX Wagon/Sell the Blobeye....

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2014, 12:09 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Musings about a Hawkeye WRX Wagon/Sell the Blobeye....

I'm at a bit of a cross roads just now with the Blob where I either sell up or I get on with modding it.

I was all set to go ahead and mod away but I've just noticed how cheap the 2.5 WRX Wagons are in Hawkeye flavour now. I don't particularly care about the VED. I DO miss the low down grunt that my 2.5 STi Spec-D had. I'd quite like a little bit of that again.

From my searches it appears that the WRX doesn't really suffer the engine failure issues that some STis had. Is that correct? Does that change when you start tuning and having the car remapped? Thinking better turbo, exhaust, remap, TMIC.

I understand they already have the same injectors as the STi?

A nice 300bhp would do me just fine, and hopefully be well within the tolerance of the gearbox and the engine itself.

With my car being on 102k and me seeing these mainly hovering around the 60/70k mark, it's starting to make more and more sense.
Old 26 September 2014, 12:14 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Correct. WRX seems to suffer less failures than the STI. HOWEVER, they are known to have the same issues so could still fail.

later 5 speed hawk boxes are much stronger and should be good for 400bhp and similar torque.

WRX and STI 2.5s have the same injectors.

If you only want 300bhp then stick with the TD04 turbo. It won't (easily) go above that level but will give virtually no lag and a lovely road car at 300bhp.

My 06 2.5 hawk is at 64k now and has run 340bhp for years as my daily hammered driver with no issues at all.

Good luck!
Old 26 September 2014, 12:55 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Excellent info, much appreciated!

My Spec-D STi was on 125k miles without a failure in sight!

Really do miss the 2.5 and at the end of the day, I do know that no matter what I do to it, it won't be an STi. But I should be able to eclipse a GB270 myself

If keeping the TD04, what else needs changing to get to that 300bhp figure?

Does anyone know if Brembos will fit with the standard wheels on a Hawk WRX?
Old 26 September 2014, 01:05 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brembos will fit but IIRC the PCD is different on the WRX and the STI so discs will not be interchangeable.

Also the wagons do not have the flared arches like the saloon WRX which IMO does make it look a lot less purposeful, but great for the stealth look if that is what you are after.
Old 26 September 2014, 01:19 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah believe me, the arches are the only thing I dislike about the Wagon. As an overall package though I find the practicality hard to beat.

That's fine with the discs. I'm sure Godspeed or similar could provide me with something suitable? Wasn't sure the calipers would fit under 17's.

Was there a changeover year for the stronger 5 speed boxes?
Old 26 September 2014, 01:46 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Brembo brakes will not fit behind the standard WRX wheels due to the spoke design. You will either need to change to 100x5 STI 17" wheels or 18" wheels such as innovit redlines to fit brembos.

STI up to blob widetrack has 100x5 fitment the same as your WRX hawk wagon. Blob widetrack onwards, hawk etc all have 114.3 on STI brakes.

The later hawk WRX intercooler is very good indeed and will easily see 300bhp, but you will need to upgrade the turbo pipes underneath. Either that or upgrade to STI intercooler & scoop undertray as I did.

You will need a fuel pump such as the walbro 255 pump and air filter element change to something like K&N. Would also benefit to change the exhaust & downpipe to help free the gasses up, but not essential.

Without exhaust you should see 270-280bhp

That should do it!

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 26 September 2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 26 September 2014, 01:50 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Cheers

Problem now is seeing STi's on sale for not a great deal more.... Argh! Wouldn't have a Wagon then though

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2014, 02:23 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

To be honest, if I had the money and was doing it again I'd get the STI. You'll spend as much on a WRX eventually as you will buying an STI. I have now spent just under £10k on mods to my Hawk WRX and it's not even forged yet!
Old 26 September 2014, 02:43 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Hmm I'm not sure yet. Thing is, we are in the process of a house purchase and the Wagon will really come into its own when I'm shifting stuff and doing tip runs etc. (as it does now).

If I wanted a saloon though, the WRX wouldn't get a look in....
Old 26 September 2014, 07:08 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Correct. WRX seems to suffer less failures than the STI. HOWEVER, they are known to have the same issues so could still fail.

later 5 speed hawk boxes are much stronger and should be good for 400bhp and similar torque.

WRX and STI 2.5s have the same injectors.

If you only want 300bhp then stick with the TD04 turbo. It won't (easily) go above that level but will give virtually no lag and a lovely road car at 300bhp.

My 06 2.5 hawk is at 64k now and has run 340bhp for years as my daily hammered driver with no issues at all.

Good luck!

Hiya brownpants, sorry to hijack the thread. I have a 2006 hawkeye wagon with a fair few mods now and looking to see if I can get over the magical 300bhp mark. What turbo and mods are you running to get 340bhp?

Currently I have, Prodrive backbox, straight through centre pipe, 2nd cat removed, Pro-R air filter, silicone turbo piping and mapped accordingly.
Power is very mid range, can be nice but can get a bit tiresome sometimes.

Any advice welcomed.

thanks,
Fuzz
Old 26 September 2014, 07:51 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I am running a vf48 turbo, samco hoses, STI spec c tmic and scoop under tray, prodrive 3 port boost solenoid, k&n panel filter, 3" 200 cel cobra downpipe, 2.5" full system, walbro 255 fuel pump, racedynamix remap and probably some bits I've missed.

Realistically you don't need all those parts to get to 350bhp. One of my friends kept the standard downpipe and fitted a vf43 turbo and made 381bhp/420lbft from his hawk wrx.

To get over 300bhp you'll need to swap the TD04 for something bigger like a vf35, vf43, vf48, td05.

You WILL need to upgrade the brakes. The WRX brakes become useless at this power.

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 26 September 2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 26 September 2014, 08:13 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome.. cheers for the info. I also have a walbro pump I forgot about.
340-350 I would be very happy with. 381 sounds too risky to me lol..

Brakes and suspension already seen many upgrades. Running HEL lines with gulf racing fluid, EBC yellows front and rear with vortex discs. not amazing IMHO but still way better than when I got it.
suspension has prodrive springs on new KYB (non inverted) shocks with whiteline roll bars front and rear.

thanks again,
Old 26 September 2014, 08:31 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I had the same brake upgrades as you before I increased my power to where I am now. They are still no where near enough. I had to immediately upgrade to brembo calipers at the front and 330mm discs. You will need to do a caliper upgrade or it will just be dangerous.