Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with my Wagon? Sell or mod?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2014, 10:18 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What to do with my Wagon? Sell or mod?

Hi all,

I'm on my third Impreza with the current Wagon. It's a 2003 WRX PPP. I've not had it ages but I've taken it from 96k to 102k and I've really enjoyed having a Wagon again.

Previous Scoobies were a classic WRX Wagon and a an STi Spec-D. This one needs the gearbox replacing and I have a box ready to go that I got from a member on here a few months ago.

My dilemma is that I have to keep it until January as that's when the MOT is due and to me it just makes sense to wait and sell with 12 months' MOT. But then I could buy something much newer. I'm already looking at all sorts from an M3 to an S4 3.0 etc.

But I'd miss having an Impreza again. The whole reason I bought this one was because of that after never getting over selling my Hawkeye. I do miss having an STi though, with the host of upgrades.

I suppose I'm wondering whether to keep this car, see about a remap, get some Brembos etc. I think it's a bit mental however, to spend a load of money putting STi bits on, plus a 6 speed dccd box would take it from daft to crazy!

But then you can't get an STi Wagon after the Bug can you?

Perhaps an STi hatch would be the best compromise?
Old 24 September 2014, 12:33 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some might disagree but I wouldnt want to spend to much money modding a 11 year old car with 102k miles on the clock, maybe a exhaust, remap, and some brakes at a most, but you got to draw the line somewhere, you start spending £0000's on a gearbox and then you will think why not add a billet turbo, FMIC etc etc as the new gearbox can take the power and before you know it your spending stupid amounts of money on a car that will be lucky to get £7k when its highly modified if you was to sell it!!
Old 24 September 2014, 01:31 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Some might disagree but I wouldnt want to spend to much money modding a 11 year old car with 102k miles on the clock, maybe a exhaust, remap, and some brakes at a most, but you got to draw the line somewhere, you start spending £0000's on a gearbox and then you will think why not add a billet turbo, FMIC etc etc as the new gearbox can take the power and before you know it your spending stupid amounts of money on a car that will be lucky to get £7k when its highly modified if you was to sell it!!
I do think that you are right to be honest.

I am very tempted to go Brembos, braided lines, induction and remap and leave it there. Enjoy it for another 6 - 12 months and then splash the cash on something else. If I wait, the MY11 saloons (think that's the correct year!) should come into my range which I'd be really happy with.

Then I can go mad
Old 24 September 2014, 02:12 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
My dilemma is that I have to keep it until January as that's when the MOT is due and to me it just makes sense to wait and sell with 12 months' MOT.
You can MOT a car at any point in it's life and not just when the MOT is due MOT it today and it gets a full 12 months MOT.
Old 24 September 2014, 02:36 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah I know, but we've a lot going on just now with a house purchase and a wedding so I'm not that bothered about shifting it at the minute. Happy enough to continue enjoying using it.
Old 24 September 2014, 02:56 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

BTW is there any benefit on a PPP car to getting the STi headers and uncatted up pipe? Or are they very similar to what I have?