New member,opinions welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2014, 06:48 PM
no-worries88
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member,opinions welcome.

Hello all,Long time lurker,thought i best join in the posts
Looking for a few opinions from owners etc. Im currently in an '04 CTR which im giving to the missus, But im wanting to buy my first Impreza.
I have a budget of UPTO £4500,which i appreciate isnt great,but i dont want to be borrowing money,or paying more than i can afford as i think this would spoil the enjoyment of owning one for me. I only really have a few 'must haves' to be honest, must have the high level STI type spoiler,as i love the look of these. Ive been looking on Autotrader,as well as other forum classifieds etc,just wondered which Impreza people recomended? many thanks
Old 20 September 2014, 07:26 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

If you going from a civic type r then you must go to a STi next, as a standard WRX would probably struggle against a civic type r and there is no point going backwards on performance!!

A newage STi I think you might struggle to get in your price range, but maybe a nice clean classic shape STi could be had for your budget, and even a 300bhp classic is a very quick car, and can be a lot of fun!!
Old 20 September 2014, 07:29 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

What about something like this if you can knock him down on price??
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ebuild/2779468
Old 20 September 2014, 07:58 PM
no-worries88
Scooby Newbie

Hi,thanks for your reply. I must admit i do love the look of the classic,and in that colour would be perfect too. would you recommend a classic over a newage Impreza? I went to view a newage WRX UK300 on Thursday,but the car wasnt how it was advertised so i walked away. Classics seem to be cheaper for me to insure too,i thought it would be cheaper to Insure a newer model tbh.
Old 20 September 2014, 08:16 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want in a car, If you want a everyday car thats nippy that can look like a STi then maybe a blob WRX with the STi styling, but standard brakes are rubbish and standard suspension is terrible and standard 225bhp is pathetic, so if you want something quicker then your Civic Type R then you really need to pick a WRX up that has had a bit of money spent on it by a previous owner, and I mean on all area's(engine, brakes, suspension, exterior).

Other then that a classic STi is a great car in standard form, but can be a bit harsh/raw for the daily driving and that they are 15+ years old now, so you might find a few problems if un-lucky!!

personally I would think you could pick up a Version 3 STi type R( 3 door classic) for your budget, and out of the box they are a very fast/capable car!!
Old 20 September 2014, 08:43 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

this seems quite a good car http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-FORGED...item3a96a0499b

with a rebuild by Lateral too so should be good to go, and you'll still have £1000 left over from the budget to paint front bumper (if desired)

***edit - just seen deposit taken for it****

Good example of the kind of classic you could get for your budget tho.

Last edited by CutMasterT; 20 September 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 20 September 2014, 08:53 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

bugeyes tend to go for the least money for the car you get for the money. should be able to pick up a reasonable sti bug for that money.depends if you like em or not. tend to be quite a marmite thing. as for the insurance keith michaels insurance is cheap for scoobys....to give you an idea on compare the meerkat and such the cheapest i could get was 1600 fully comp keith michaels 720 quid fully comp WITH mods declared! so not too bad. hope you find a cheap minter dont forget to put piccys on when you "join the club"

Trending Topics

Old 20 September 2014, 09:00 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Go for classic bud, as they will go up in price soon, so will be investment aswell. Get a type r they will be around 4k Mark, think there 300-320bhp.
Old 20 September 2014, 09:05 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

Welcome. I am in the bug eye sti camp stretch your budget as far as you can and get and sti with mods you won't be disappointed.
Old 20 September 2014, 09:08 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by faz27
bugeyes tend to go for the least money for the car you get for the money. should be able to pick up a reasonable sti bug for that money.depends if you like em or not. tend to be quite a marmite thing. as for the insurance keith michaels insurance is cheap for scoobys....to give you an idea on compare the meerkat and such the cheapest i could get was 1600 fully comp keith michaels 720 quid fully comp WITH mods declared! so not too bad. hope you find a cheap minter dont forget to put piccys on when you "join the club"
Would £4.5k get you a bug STi???

Cheapest on pistonheads is £5.5k with 114k miles on the clock!! Still think your looking at £5.5-6k for a half decent bug STi
Old 20 September 2014, 09:17 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Would £4.5k get you a bug STi???

Cheapest on pistonheads is £5.5k with 114k miles on the clock!! Still think your looking at £5.5-6k for a half decent bug STi
I was of the same thinking, I think you may struggle to find a good V3 Type R for that price these days aswell.

Welcome along anyway bud and good luck with your search.
Old 20 September 2014, 09:32 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Sheep Worrier
I was of the same thinking, I think you may struggle to find a good V3 Type R for that price these days aswell.

Welcome along anyway bud and good luck with your search.
I bought a white V3 STi type R with simtek ecu, other mods, and 70k miles on the clock for £3,600 back in 2010 and a mate had a V4 WRX Type R V-limited for £4,500 around the same time!!!

Think a V3-V4 Type R can be had for around the £4,5k mark!!