Saw on here today...

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2014, 10:43 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Saw on here today...

Hi folks.

I saw on another thread today about VOSA and vehicle identification database and something about not being identical. How can I check if mine is as its says it is on VOSA and not what it says it is on my V5?
Its to do with emissions and it failed last week on CO but if its wrong etc, then the CO would be well in the legal parameters

My car is a WRX but on my V5 is says its a 2000cc.

And for anyone who wants to moan about the insurance and it not being insured as a turbo blah blah blah, then cobblers, its insured as a WRX lol

Thanks in advance
Old 15 September 2014, 10:52 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most imports are wrongly identified on the v5
Old 15 September 2014, 11:38 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I'm having a quick look through this document: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...th_edition.pdf and reading figure 1.1 at the bottom where it starts off "Some passenger cars..." My car was 1st registered on 1st May 1995.

Would mine come in under the the higher CO level test or the no cat test?
Old 16 September 2014, 05:04 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Tbh it dosent matter what its registered as, if its after a 1992 it has a cat test and must read lower than a 0.20 readiig.
Old 16 September 2014, 05:12 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

mines a 97import v5 just says "subaru 2000cc" mine passed with no cats, he just asked me if it was definitely a import
Old 17 September 2014, 09:39 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I spoke the mot station and they reckon it comes up on their screen as to which way to test it. The Co is 0.3 max on my model and it came in at 0.5. I need to give it a good thrashing before the re-test to try and get the sports cat working properly

Oh such a pain! lol
Old 17 September 2014, 05:14 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

After a 30 minute spirited drive I took the car back to the mot station to find that the emissions were pretty much the same and would of been a failure if they were re-testing it I asked about if they done it under import as the car was an import and the tester said that there was no option on their machine to say if its import or not. All they could do was put in the reg number. Now not sure but it don't sound right to me

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Trending Topics

Old 17 September 2014, 06:20 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

from the manual

A personal import must be tested according to its date of first use. The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard.

also

Vehicles fitted with a different engine must be tested to the requirements of whichever is older, the engine or the vehicle. e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes. Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter to prove engine age

Last edited by scoobyboy; 17 September 2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 17 September 2014, 09:06 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

in the original thread you are referring to, post three gave a flow chart that testers should use -- where does your car come if you follow the chart?

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-database.html

My reading of the chart is --- tester has to find an exact match on his analyser or Dot emissions database, if not, carry out a Non-cat test

Last edited by albob; 17 September 2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 17 September 2014, 10:02 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Not sure my guy done something on the pc asked cuple questions wen bk on pc then tested it, there was another computer In the bay all hooked up,looked all brand new
Old 17 September 2014, 10:29 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
in the original thread you are referring to, post three gave a flow chart that testers should use -- where does your car come if you follow the chart?

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-database.html

My reading of the chart is --- tester has to find an exact match on his analyser or Dot emissions database, if not, carry out a Non-cat test
Yeah I have seen it and I have printed a copy of it to which I left on passenger seat today and he read it. But the answer was still "there's nothing he can do about it as it don't give an option"
Old 18 September 2014, 01:14 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Having similar fun and games with a car I'm in the process of buying at the moment (or rather the poor seller is!), after reading through the manual and other info the car must be an exact match for a model listed in the handbook, if the tester can't find the model (as would be the case with a JDM car) then they can't prove the car was fitted with a cat from standard, and thus the benefit of doubt is given to the person presenting the car for test and the non cat test is carried out.

I'd be giving VOSA a call if I were you, which is what the seller has done on mine and getting an answer from them, I they agree with the above then you can go back to the tester with this and ask him to call VOSA himself to clarify.
Old 19 September 2014, 01:45 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have just got off the phone to VOSA and there is not record of my car on their database! Good news, but....
The date of first registration is a guesstimate! So on my V5 it says date of first registration 01 05 1995 but this may not be correct

So I now have to try and find out what the correct date of 1st registration is to see whether it needs a cat test or not

WTF!!!
Old 19 September 2014, 02:39 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Update from Subaru UK and the details on my car tells me that it was first registered in March 1995, so a better result

Glad I got to the bottom of it in the end.

Cheers for folks help
Old 22 September 2014, 12:13 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Car now has 1 years mot on it

Woo hoo