Sponsored by:

Oh no.... blue smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2014, 03:53 PM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh no.... blue smoke.

So i was on the track yesterday and giving the car some, went on first time no problems went on second time yet again no problems.

Pulled off the track and parked up, let the engine run for 10 mins then shut her off. in that time though i had opened the bonnet and there was no smoke no smells no nothing was running sweet as a nut.

So i switch the engine off and come back to her around 45 mins later.

Start up and she is billowing smoke out the exhaust, looked like it had a blue tinge to it. so moved the car and she was still smoking switched engine off and then back on a few minutes later and the smoke started again but not as bad.

Had the oil cap off and no smoke coming from there.

so then eventually she stopped smoking obviously getting less and less.

So i drove home from the track with a lad behind and asked him to keep and eye on the fumes for me.

Not a single bit of smoke at all. even on boost. Got home left the car an hour and had to pop out started up and it appeared to be fine... well there was smoke but it looked normal as the air was cold.

Same again this morning.

started car at work before at 'normal' air temp and it looked like when you start your car on a cold winter morning.

Any ideas what this could be? i mean it was smoking bad. but now barely anything at all now.

checked coolant this morning and it was up to the brim on the header tank and the bottle was at the same level as it was yesterday morning, checked the oil and got the typical scooby reading.... one side covered the other side not so covered lol

Any ideas help apprciated.

Someone mentioned it could be the oil had been overfilled...

But i have heard that it could be piston rings, PVC valve, blocked crankcase breather, turbo seals, etc etc

Any advice

Its a V8 STI JDM with twinscroll.
Old 01 September 2014, 03:55 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

More than likely it's turbo seals
Old 01 September 2014, 04:09 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had simmilar symptoms on my car when driven hard. The following day it would smoke on start up. Not plumes under throttle but as though it was sitting in the exhaust.
Turned out to be oil blowing back from the breather pipes and going back into the throttle body via the intercooler. Easiest way to check is to take the interccoler connector off and check for presence of oil in the cooler and in the throttle body.
I followed some good advice and fitted a OBP three port catch can and it hasnt happened since.