Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get it bought.
Old 05 August 2014, 04:24 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Get it bought.
I went this morning mate, all excited as I thought I was going to see a well looked after, fully serviced and maintained car with great spec and low millage.. when I got there most if it was correct apart from the immaculate part.. off side front arch was rusting which had been painted over around 6 inches, and the front of the roof where it meets the windscreen was rusted and bubbles all the way across,again painted over.. granted he had dropped the price a little from the £8k he wanted for it but I couldn't buy a car using my whole budget knowing that it would need a trip to the body shop when I got it back. to say I was gutted is an understatement! I was told it had a few stone chips on the front,which it did..more than a few tbh and the splitter was cracked.. it was cracked alright aswell as the bumper above it being all scuffed.

im coming across here like the car was a shed but it wasn't, just the things I have highlighted put me off buying it especially the rust. I just wish ide been told of it before I set off to see it.

oh and the steering wheel was worn all round nearly which got me thinking!

he told me someone else had offered the asking price if he was willing to hold it until Saturday which made me think 'Cheshire performance' straight away lol.. expect to see it for sale soon for around £11k haha

Last edited by powerwrx; 05 August 2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05 August 2014, 05:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Bugger, in the advert it sounded great with a decent spec and the right people looking after it, one mans idea of mint is another mans shed.

Why people don't just tell it like it is I'll never know, had the same sort of thing happen to me when I was looking for my Type r, it's like they think you'll get there and be wearing half inch thick rose tinted glasses carrying a white stick and hand over a big bag of your hard earned.

So the search for a minter continues, stick to your guns mate something will pop up soon.
Old 05 August 2014, 05:31 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Bugger, in the advert it sounded great with a decent spec and the right people looking after it, one mans idea of mint is another mans shed.

Why people don't just tell it like it is I'll never know, had the same sort of thing happen to me when I was looking for my Type r, it's like they think you'll get there and be wearing half inch thick rose tinted glasses carrying a white stick and hand over a big bag of your hard earned.

So the search for a minter continues, stick to your guns mate something will pop up soon.
absolutely.. if ide had been told about the rust before I went I wouldnt have gone, saving me 3 hours and fuel money.

I have received a text from the lad apologising for me being disappointed which is a rarity these days..

I went to look at a uk sti on Saturday which was advertised on ebay a few weeks ago listed as great condition apart from a scuff on the rear bumper that had happened in a supermarket carpark.. never the less I got there.. no one answered the door for a start (after us confirming a time) so I looked round the car anyway while I had the chance, NAIL! scratches, headlights all dull and misted.wheels were the worst ive seen, large slice of rubber hanging off the tyre, tint film on rear window all creased and crackled.. not even bothered to give it a clean to be fair so I jumped in my car and got off. another 4 hour round trip and petrol
Old 05 August 2014, 05:46 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noticed the above motor myself on ebay,it did look decent in the pics, the right car will pop up one day good luck in your search ....
Old 05 August 2014, 06:05 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

cheers dirk.. yes it was/is a very nice car apart from the bits mentioned.. ive spoke to the lad in the last few mins and the deal isn't 100% over
Old 05 August 2014, 06:07 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

does anyone recognise the car ? he bought it off a friend who did all the work on it so I was wondering if its been on here at anytime
Old 05 August 2014, 06:09 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm making a 300 mile + drive on Friday, I'm a little bit worried but I think I know what to expect....
Old 05 August 2014, 06:13 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Yes, sorry for the disappointment.

I don't know how practical this would be but perhaps posting on here to ask someone local to have a quick look (not test drive or anything) at an advertised car would certainly save anyone a wasted journey.

In this case, for example, if someone had said 'well mate, here's some close-up photos of the car and the mentioned damage....' then it wouldn't have been frustration as well.

I'd certainly be willing to have a shortish wander to stop someone wasting 100 miles or more.
Old 05 August 2014, 06:15 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

BBB3 that's the only trouble with buying cars..pics look great and you can only go off what your told before you actually get to see the cars.. its just disappointing when you get there and they arnt what your expecting them to be
Old 05 August 2014, 06:24 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah pictures are deceiving! To be fair the guy has been honest with me.
I hope he's truth to his word, 8 hour train journey and 7 hour drive
Old 05 August 2014, 06:33 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Bid him £6500 at it and take it from there
I've just got my missis a 1 series....lad said no offers on ebay , then via text ,then as I went and viewed....tbh it's minter than a polo .

Still chipped him a grand off the price
Old 05 August 2014, 08:17 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

the deal is now off lol
Old 05 August 2014, 08:40 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Regardless of condition, £8k for a non widetrack UK Blob is a bit steep isn't it?!
Old 05 August 2014, 10:23 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Because driving it and buy excitement makes them not notice the little things
Old 05 August 2014, 10:41 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666
Because driving it and buy excitement makes them not notice the little things
I didn't even drive it, I was put off as soon as I saw the rust

I did think a deal was back on again after he told me he had book the car in to have the rust areas sorted out and it would be ready for next weekend which I thought was great.. never the less the price would go up by £400 if I wanted it
Old 06 August 2014, 07:44 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

what a plonker.
Old 06 August 2014, 09:24 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Had a similar experience recently albeit when looking at a BMW oop North. Enquired on the Wednesday before afternoon shifts at work. Yep, still available. Planned to go up the Thursday afternoon after quick turnaround (2 hour drive) and leave a deposit if all good. Rang 2pm Thursday "yep, still available". Got there just after 4pm and saw it straight away. Looked brilliant. Found the chap at the garage to be told "sold last night mate, deposit left".

Anyway it transpired for shït communication between two guys who worked there. Which was no consolation for me having wasted 5 hours of my time (after driving back) and £30 derv. A couple of 'choice' phrases later and I stormed off having spat my dummy out

Bought a better car cheaper a couple weeks after anyway thank god.

One will come up, just need to wade through the shyte first!
Old 06 August 2014, 09:38 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Had a similar experience recently albeit when looking at a BMW oop North. Enquired on the Wednesday before afternoon shifts at work. Yep, still available. Planned to go up the Thursday afternoon after quick turnaround (2 hour drive) and leave a deposit if all good. Rang 2pm Thursday "yep, still available". Got there just after 4pm and saw it straight away. Looked brilliant. Found the chap at the garage to be told "sold last night mate, deposit left".

Anyway it transpired for shït communication between two guys who worked there. Which was no consolation for me having wasted 5 hours of my time (after driving back) and £30 derv. A couple of 'choice' phrases later and I stormed off having spat my dummy out

Bought a better car cheaper a couple weeks after anyway thank god.

One will come up, just need to wade through the shyte first!
its so annoying mate isn't it, communication and correct info is all it needs its not hard.. if its sold then tell all who inquired..simple! saves a lot of time and money. also list every detail about the car however small.. like I say pics can look brilliant and stating in the advert that there are the 'usual marks for its age' is no good imo..every minor detail should be stated and pictures taken to show the potential buyer what the car is like.. this would save the disappointment for those who travel for hours to view a 'mint' car which turns out not to be.

ive seen 2 or 3 cars that are available down south, London ect and ide be so pi**ed off if I travelled all that way to find the car is a bag of ****e.. (im not saying these cars are by the way)
Old 06 August 2014, 09:59 AM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I viewed 5 cars in my quest for a straight, clean classic.

Generally owners think their car is better than what it actually is & also their attention to detail may not be the same as that of the buyer.

An example of this was a WRX Type RA where I was specific in questioning the seller on the exterior & interior condition - He gave the exterior 8.5 out of 10, interior 9 out of 10. My rating upon inspection exterior 5 out of 10, interior 6.5 - 7 out of 10. Fortunately it was only a 150 mile round trip.

Even though I'm not mechanically minded I do have an eye for detail, hence I think some sellers genuinely were not aware of issues that I pointed out on a couple of vehicles.

A couple of the sellers were open to offers but I thought the cars needed too much work for me to take on. I'm glad I waited until I found the right one. Amazingly I never checked the car over because the seller agreed to drive it to the garage that I use & the guys spent about 2 hours on it & test drove it & came back with the thumbs up!