Sponsored by:

1999 Sti coolant expansion connections

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2014, 02:06 PM
StiKirk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Sti coolant expansion connections

Hi advice needed. Just got my car back from a mechanic who replaced the water pump and cam belt and idler pullies. I noticed water dripping from the coolant expansion bottle overflow pipe. They removed the rad to get to the belt.

What I noticed was the pipe coming out of the top of the expansion bottle filler lid was connected to the small pipe line that runs over the top of the rad. The pipe coming out of the bottom of the expansion bottle went to atmosphere and was dripping water.

My thought is how is water to ever get to the min/max levels if the pipe at the bottom of the expansion bottle drains constantly?? This carnt be right.

Should the pipes go the other way around? The bottom pipe which feeds into the expansion bottle should be connect to the small pipe that comes of the top of the rad and the pipe at the top of the expansion bottle vents to atmosphere. That way when the expansion fills up it will then drain away.

Is this right?

I have searched everywhere to no avail.
Old 27 July 2014, 05:47 PM
StiKirk
Scooby Regular

Anyone
Old 27 July 2014, 07:31 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Expansion bottle yellow lid to atmosphere. Header tank steel one bolted to manifold wee pipe that fits in neck of filler to radiator crossover pipe the other end goes to bottom of plastic expansion bottle behind/next to horns.
Old 27 July 2014, 08:46 PM
StiKirk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Expansion bottle yellow lid to atmosphere. Header tank steel one bolted to manifold wee pipe that fits in neck of filler to radiator crossover pipe the other end goes to bottom of plastic expansion bottle behind/next to horns.
Nice one buddy, that's how I have changed it. How can you put the two pipes the wrong way around??? Appreciate the info