Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newbie - Help valuing a Scooby please!

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2014, 01:10 PM
yhs4260
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Help valuing a Scooby please!

Hi,

I am looking at chopping in my Astra VXR and getting a Scooby instead.

My friend is offering his for sale, and I wanted to check a couple of things:

1) What do you think the sale value of this car should be?
2) Should I be cautious in any way regarding this model or ask any particular questions?

I know nothing about Scooby's, but was hoping to receive some honest advice.

The asking price is around 7.5k.

Below is the full advert spec:

For sale my much loved impreza i have owned this car for the last 7-8 years, i have spent a huge amount of cash and time on this car as i had no intention of selling it but due to lack of use decided it is a waste just sat there. Anyway its... a 1995 sti type RA its approx 380 bhp engine is good for well over the 500bhp mark just needs bigger turbo and remap.I ran a 13.9 sec run at santa pod in sandard trim before all these mods so should be in the early 12`s late 11`s now fingers x. I have a printout some where from tracktive solutions (richard bulmer) that shows 298 bhp and 398 foot pounds @1.6 bar this is wheel bhp NOT crank as some tuners and sellers go by.

It has a fully forged race engine from steve turveys subaru race car he spent just under £12,000 on the engine and ran it for one season it was serviced and maintained by sr motorsport in oxford no history as it was a full blown race car(steve worked for prodrive in the rally team and was able to source the rare wrc billet crank). It has a wrc billet crank forged rods and pistons inside a closed deck block (stronger than standard block).water injection there is a water tank mounted in boot with pump you can see pump in pics. Bigger injectors, Hks front mount intercooler with custom made boost pipes to improve the lag, Bailey dump valve, Modified oil pump, modified fuel rails, I was told it runs o rings instead of head gaskets but cannot confirm this.The engine was originally running on a prodrive ecu but i found it difficult to find a tuner with software to map it so decided to fit the hydra nemesis ecu with options of switchable boost 1,1 and 1.6 bar and mild anti lag this was installed and mapped by richard bulmer of tracktive solutions .He did project phoenix in performance jap mag which was also an RA and is ment to be one of the best road mappers in the country(look him up you won`t be dissapointed).

The gearbox is the standard sti type RA box which is a group n short ratio box with the centre diff controller. It has a fast road clutch which is good for 500bhp i did have a hks twin plate clutch but it was a nightmare in traffic so changed to something more user friendly. The rest of the drivetrain is standard plated lsd diffs and RA drive shafts.

The body is light weight as its the RA (rally altered) no sound deadning ,elecric windows ,central locking ,abs,some panels are alloy it has the rally roof vent and thinner glass.It has an adjustable 22b rear spoiler which i have yet to see another impreza with one on,Face lift crystal head lights, carbon fibre bonnet, crystal indicators and repeaters,black lexus rear lights (not the tacky silver ones).Modified front bumper for front mount intercooler i have a front splitter but not had it painted and fitted yet but will include in sale.The battery has been relocated to the boot to allow for front mount pipes and better weight distribution.

The wheels are 18" ultralights with falken rubber (like new £1050) ,black ultralight wheel nuts and black locking wheel nuts(£55) .They sent me three sets of wheels as i struggled to find a wheel to fit over the massive ap six pots with custom 358mm two piece discs(£2500) these are nothing short of amazing more than enough braking power. This kit is fitted to the roger clarke gobstopper (says it all the best of the best) i figured it was a good idea to have a car that stopped quicker than it accelerates which turned out to be expensive but worth it

The interior is pretty much standard apart from silver dash inserts and defi gauges with controller(£650)and an oil pressure gauge.I have made custom sub boxes from fibre glass these are much lighter than mdf ones to keep with the lightweight theme these will stay as will the amp rack, I have also made custom speaker pods/pockets to fit 6" mids. There will be NO stereo equipment left in car just the places to put it sorry.This car finished but i did plan on fitting a bigger turbo and the six speed box but unfortuantly never got to that stage so if you buy it thats what i think would be the next step to complete a monster road car .

The car has been maintained and servivced by myself only using sti oil filter and silkolene pro oils in engine, gearbox and rear diff. Any work that has been done on the car have been sorted straight away with the best parts available by myself, or a friend who is a qualified mecanic so everything is tip top.

Im sure i have probably forgot to list some mods if i remember anymore will and them to list .

things i forgot: it has a turbo timer a toad cat 1 alarm and a tracker fitted

Old 12 June 2014, 01:18 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

The sti ra is one of the best Imprezas......for performance, not everyday use as they are very hardcore.

The amount of money spent on your mates is impressive but the only way to tell is to go and view it. Decent, tidy, standard ra's are hovering between £4k and £7k at the moment, so to have one for £7500 with all that work sounds like a very good deal.

Just make sure that you can put up with the raw nature of the ra. Drive it and decide.

Old 12 June 2014, 01:22 PM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get some pictures up .someone on here is bound to know the car ,is youre mate on here or ra forum.
Old 12 June 2014, 01:25 PM
yhs4260
Scooby Newbie

Here is a picture!

I am yet to drive it, this is purely for fun. Im going to buy an old Golf for the work commute.

I understand I can fit the 6 speed gearbox, a turbo and remap it to close to 500bhp?
Old 12 June 2014, 01:29 PM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the face of it looking at the picture and the mods the car has it's a good buy ,but without seeing the car up close and underneath is difficult to judge,looks clean enough .
Old 12 June 2014, 01:38 PM
yhs4260
Scooby Newbie

Also just confirmed its a Closed Deck Block and a Type 2 WRX STI RA.
Old 12 June 2014, 02:25 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds good, but still running the 5 speed would mean a little less value in the car as far as i'm concerned, fancy forged engine or not i'd say the lack of a 6 speed drops the value by about £1k from what he's asking. At the end of the day it's an RA with ap's and a front mount, and that valuation would be based on rust free rear arches, if there is even a spot of rust i'd be looking to knock off another £1k.

Looks like a nice tidy car and had a good mapper work on it and obviously built by someone that knows what they are doing.

my only mis-giving would be that by the time you've stuck a bigger turbo along with fuel system to feed it and 6 speed plus mapping it's going to stand you at circa £12k where as if you hang about you'll pick one up already done for under £10k and quite possibly more like £8k.

But it's your money.
Old 12 June 2014, 02:39 PM
yhs4260
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that info ditchmyster

So if I picked this up for around 5k/5.5k, that would be a a good deal, assuming its rust free?

And I am looking at around 5k for a 6 Speed gearbox, Turbo, fuelling and mapping?

Are there any examples of what sort of performance I will achieve from those mods? 0-60, 1/4m & top speed?

Cheers again
Old 12 June 2014, 03:01 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yhs4260
thanks for that info ditchmyster

So if I picked this up for around 5k/5.5k, that would be a a good deal, assuming its rust free?

And I am looking at around 5k for a 6 Speed gearbox, Turbo, fuelling and mapping?

Are there any examples of what sort of performance I will achieve from those mods? 0-60, 1/4m & top speed?

Cheers again
I would say £1,500,£1,800 for a gearbox, maybe around £1,000,£1,200 for a turbo depending what you go for and mapping can range from £400 for open source to around £1,200 depending what map you want but someone with more experience and knowledge who running that kind if power may correct me lol.
Old 12 June 2014, 03:09 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anywhere around the £6/6.5 is about right but that's just my opinion.

If your planing on doing some track and drag time your going to want a swirl pot set up with braided lines and 'AN' fittings, fuel pressure regulator and some bigger injectors to be running 500bhp. A 500bhp capable turbo is going to cost a minimum of about £1k and it will be second hand, injectors aren't cheap either £300/500 second hand.

Decent 6 speed is going to set you back around the £2k mark plus fitting, you might want to rethink clutch and flywheel while it's out too.

But to be brutally honest I think you should leave it as it is and save yourself a load of cash and heart ache because 500bhp is where it gets expensive and things start to break, much cheaper where it's at now and very pure too.

Make no mistake this thing will p!ss all over your VXR down a country road if you can drive, not sure what suspension and handling mods it's got but once set up properly this thing will be a little monster of a car and scare you sh!tless in the right hands, but it's at the limit of the gearbox power wise and I for one wouldn't want to be launching it too often if at all, but it will definitely kick *** down a twisty b road.

Other point being your 500bhp upgrades might just scrub a second off the quarter mile times, it's a lot of money for 1 second and I don't personally think these are drag strip cars, they're b road blasters.