Sponsored by:

Chipped Windscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 10:11 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Was over taking a lorry today joining the dual carriage way and a bloody stone hit my windscreen and put a nice chip slap bang in the middle of it!! (not sure if the stone fell out of the lorry or flicked up from the tyre).

Am I right in thinking you can get chips repaired? It isn't that big just would like to sort it out. If anyone knows of such places I would be grateful if you could let me know.

My car is a MY99 Type R so will have it's first M.O.T later this year, as it's in the middle of the screen will it fail the M.O.T, meaning if I can't get it repaired I will have to get a new screen?

Thanks.
Old 29 May 2002, 10:34 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

stiscooby,
just happened to me. This is what i've found so far:
- It's OK if it is under 10mm dia with-in the swept area (ie in way of the steering wheel I think)
- Its OK if it is under 40mm dia else where

Otherwise get another windscreen for the mot!

Mine was very carefully measured at 9mm dia in the swept area ... other wise it was £750+ for a new screen (Legacy import special tint :-(...).

PS some insurance companies do a free service to inject the stone damage to stop them spreading.

Good luck
Alex
Old 29 May 2002, 10:37 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

do you lose your no-claims for claiming for a smashed windscreen?? Excess is only £50.
Old 29 May 2002, 11:02 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

Oh s**t! £750 for new screen!

Think I should be ok, have to check but don't think it's as big as 10mm. Is over the passenger side more than my side too.

Does any one have any experience/comments about having screen chips repaired?

[Edited by stiscooby - 5/29/2002 11:03:36 PM]

[Edited by stiscooby - 5/29/2002 11:04:05 PM]
Old 29 May 2002, 11:57 PM
Homer Simpson
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Have look here: http://www.chipsaway.co.uk Look under trimfix.
Old 30 May 2002, 08:55 AM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

stiscooby

Your question about no claims, we've got our scooby on a fully comp policy with Bell Direct, and there's no loss of NCB for repairing windscreen damage. There is no limit to the number of claims, either. I think this is the case for most comprehensive policies. All you normally pay is a glass excess (ours is £50), so check with your insurer, I guess.

I have a small chip in the screen which has been repaired, but to be honest it's not a great repair. I think the chip's too small and shallow (about 4-5mm across) for the stuff they use to really bond to the screen. At some point I'll pay the £50 and get a new screen put in.
Old 30 May 2002, 09:04 AM
simon a
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i'm getting mine replaced this morning, bad mistake putting a length of 8 by 2 up to the screen, i'm getting it done through A1 windscreens who will pay your excess up to £40, so i've only got to pay £20 and they had one on stock
found them in yellow pages not sure if they are nationwide but worth a try
simon
Old 30 May 2002, 09:14 AM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had two chips repaired reciently via my insurance company. I rang up saying that I need a new windscreen and that it will be £50 pounds for me in excess. When the guy arrived at work, he said I shouldn't bother with a screen and that he can repair it (not bad considering the chips had been there fot about 2 years).

When I took it for it's first mot a few weeks ago, the tester said that he should really fail it because it's a small crack and a chip. The chip is under 10 mm, but the crack isn't. He passed it anyway really because he was more interested in the car and taking it for a drive to test the brakes..

This was good with me as I was px'ing it in a few weeks, not that I minded changing the screen. Dunno how true it is, but the windscreen tester did say that it may have an effect on the insurance. Basically, if you can get it repaired the do, they do a very good job these days.

Hope this helps
Gareth.
Old 30 May 2002, 10:17 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Wink

You can take your car to any AutoWindscreen depot and they will repair whilst you wait.

had mine done 3 weeks ago and cost me £40 and was away in 30 minutes.
Old 30 May 2002, 11:44 PM
scoobyskid
Scooby Regular

Angry

There was a massive bang on my (MY01)screen this morning. When I checked it, there was a little chip at the base of the screen which I thought wasn't worth bothering about, however, when I came out of work later, there were two long cracks across the screen (lets see Chips-a-way sort that out!!!). Apparently, bonded screens form part of the cars structural integrity, so it's wise to get it replaced quickly.

Thank God for laminated screens! I once had a toughened glass screen go in a kit-car at 70mph on the motorway, it smashed into my face. Fortunately, I managed to pull safely over to the hard shoulder. My face was a mess of blood and glass. If I didn't wear glasses, I would've been blinded - when I took them off, you could clearly see the outline. It took hours picking out all the shards!

Has anyone ever had a side window go?
Old 31 May 2002, 12:35 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

i watched one explode onto my bonnet when some old giffer pulled out infront of me on an island and i drove into his rear door... Quite entertaining!

Andy
Old 31 May 2002, 12:53 AM
markyp
Scooby Regular

MY01 WRX - just had mine replaced last week by Autowindscreens. They did a good job when they arrived, but failed to turn up on the first appointment due to Subaru not having a trim in stock.

The screen is an OEM unit, which comes complete with a rear view mirrir mount on.

No effect on NCB - with Norwich Union - £60 excess.

Sid - did the same, about 80mph into the back of a moving Marina Estate. Whoops!!!!!!! The car was a classic, and the old boy driver (approx 80 years old) pulled out into the fast lane of a dual carriageway without warning! Me finks that was the fastest that little car had accelerated!! lol
Old 31 May 2002, 08:54 AM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Red face

Several years ago when driving my Civic VTi along the A120 near Stansted something dropped onto my glass sunroof & shattered it with an enormous bang .

Almost cr@pped myself but fortunately the glass stayed in place.

Never found out what hit it.

Hugh
Old 31 May 2002, 09:35 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Chipped windscreen?

Does it go faster?
Old 31 May 2002, 11:54 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

My screen is only chipped, about 5-6mm, it doesn't have any cracks what so ever so think I will try and get it repaired.

CHIARK

Yea it does help you should see about getting yours done!!

[Edited by stiscooby - 5/31/2002 1:26:30 PM]
Old 31 May 2002, 12:19 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate.

It reminds me of that simpsons episode where homer decides to put "Speed holes" in his car with a pick-axe...