Sponsored by:

Anyone recognise this car?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2014, 07:40 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone recognise this car?

I came across it the other day when browsing piston heads. It looks pretty smart actually but is it worth the money? I guess these things get pretty unreliable at this power? The only thing I can see is that it looks like there's no mention of a newer gearbox. The car doesn't seem to be a JDM so I would imagine that the kind of torque this car is running would kill the gearbox soon enough.

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01404113260600

I've currently got a WRX STi JDM version 6 at 340bhp and was looking at going for a newage although I wonder whether it's worth just pushing the money I'd spend into my own car.

Last edited by edizio; 14 May 2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 14 May 2014, 09:32 AM
scoobyman223
Scooby Regular

I would say if it's for sale through Hurst cars its going to be a good one and from looking at the advert well worth the money only my opinion mind
Old 14 May 2014, 09:40 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would the blob sti not have a 6speed gearbox anyway? If so then there is no need for anything done in that area apart from a rebuild somewhere along the lines.

It is a closed deck block so thats good news. Seems like a nice car
Old 14 May 2014, 10:58 AM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Looks very nice, lots of bang for your bucks on that!

Only thing I would personally change is that front grill, not a fan of metal mesh nor the pink logo
Old 14 May 2014, 04:09 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Is there anything I should be checking? Compression test? Inspecting the spark plugs? I assume there's no way of knowing if there is anything seriously wrong with it? I.e. Cracked block or something?

I can do a lot of the basic stuff, I.e. Checking oil for discolouration, checking coolant, checking for leaks but that's about it. Just a bit concerned at spending money on a car that could have been sold because of a problem.
Old 14 May 2014, 04:49 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

A compression test would be a good start, although a leakdown/sniff test would be the best test to confirm if there is a gasket etc related problem

Preferably all 3!

To be honest the dealer wont have a problem doing them if the car is genuine. But make sure to ring him and give him time to organise it etc. He wont be impressed if you just turn up and start demanding things like that

Check all the levels etc.

What you need to bare in mind, 500hp has 500hp running costs. Reliability goes out the window and the cost is massive.

Mine has done 25k miles since rebuild, and the cost to keep it running is massive.

Fuel, loads of oil changes, parts are mega money, turbo rebuilds, gearbox rebuilds, a new clutch is best part of 1k, exhaust manifolds, etc etc etc.

It is a never ending list of problems, but when you stress something like this, of course there will be problems.

I would also be reading up on pennine subaru and the quality of their work too, youd want to see receipts of the work carried out on the car etc. A massive folder of receipts should accompany acar like this
Old 14 May 2014, 04:57 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

I'm kind of used to changing my oil every few thousand as I'm running a 340 JDM. To be honest, I am probably buying something way over the top; I rarely open my current one out and I've never found joy in erratic launching and redlining each gear so I can't imagine I'd be burning out clutches and gearboxes. I only just went on the track last week and enjoyed that but was with a load of people from my mates work so nice and steady.

To be honest, I'd probably change the oils and sort the filters out as soon as I got it home. I like to take care of my current car; only getting rid of it as I fancy a newer one.

I agree with the tests; I've asked already and I've been told I can do as many tests as I want. I believe the car has a lot of documentation from the garage.

Trending Topics

Old 14 May 2014, 05:06 PM
Jackals
Scooby Regular

The turbo is too big for the set up so it has lag...kicks in at about 4.5.

If you're happy to swap the turbo out, then it seemed a genuine enough car.
Old 14 May 2014, 05:25 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edizio
I'm kind of used to changing my oil every few thousand as I'm running a 340 JDM. To be honest, I am probably buying something way over the top; I rarely open my current one out and I've never found joy in erratic launching and redlining each gear so I can't imagine I'd be burning out clutches and gearboxes. I only just went on the track last week and enjoyed that but was with a load of people from my mates work so nice and steady.

To be honest, I'd probably change the oils and sort the filters out as soon as I got it home. I like to take care of my current car; only getting rid of it as I fancy a newer one.

I agree with the tests; I've asked already and I've been told I can do as many tests as I want. I believe the car has a lot of documentation from the garage.
Trust me, I own a 500+ subaru, and the running costs are extortionate everything is more expensive.

Brake pads for my ksports are over £100 per side.
Coilover rebuilds, they dont last forever
Bushes

You will need to allow alot more cash just for day to day stuff

I would also question, why spend 10k on a car that you are hardly going to use? if you dont use your current spec, what on earth do you want 200 extra horsepower for? lol

And also to be honest, if you arent going to red line it or launch it, you wont like driving it anyway! With a gt35 you will only have 3-4k useable power, and it will have to be redlined to drop it back into the power band on the next gear....

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 14 May 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 14 May 2014, 05:38 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, well I'll have a test drive and see how it feels.

I may just end up spending some of that money on my own classic instead but the problem is really that I'm running a version 6 5speed gearbox so it's not really going to last at anything over 350. Plus, even though the pistons are forged, I can't really push 400+ without spending over 10,000.

I guess my main reason for not driving hard is I'm scared that I'll break my car :P

Don't get me wrong, I occasionally do put my foot down but I'm not typically one of these guys who just drives like a bull in a china shop everywhere. Typically every scooby driver I see on the road seems to just look like they're abusing their car. Contrariwise, when I go to some of the tracks, the cars do look quite nice and well looked after.
Old 14 May 2014, 06:09 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Well you need alot less power in your classic to compare to a newage.

If you are scared of breaking it a 500hp car is not for you, it will make you even more scared of breaking it because of the cost of fixing it when it breaks lol.

a 6 speed conversion is what 2k fitted? and 400hp will be rapid in a classic....
Old 14 May 2014, 06:16 PM
Jackals
Scooby Regular

It sounds like you are in a similar position to me...I weighed up spending near £10k to increase power on mine or just buy a ready made. This car needs to be driven hard to get the best out of the horsepower in it's current set up and it will come with big bills - especially if you are not too mechanically minded (like me).

It really depends what you want from your car and what your specific criteria is...i.e. whether you want 'pub talk' sort of power or a nice boost low down in the range. I thought this cars power would put a big smile on my face but in reality, I wasn't impressed and actually wanted the latter.

In the end I bought a JDM Twinscroll (from Hurst) - a few niggles but happy with it so far.

If you don't like this one, he has plenty of others there to test drive - see what floats your boat.
Old 14 May 2014, 08:05 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Jackals, I think you've hit the nail on huge head there. I'm not sure I want to drive it hard to go anywhere. I just had a spirited drive home and didn't go over 5,000rpm as I've got a lot of low down torque.

I think I will take a look because I do like the newer models of impreza, excluding the new hatchback and bug eye.

JGlanzaV, are you saying that a 500bhp car engine needs regular rebuilds? As I said, I regularly service my car and do fork out quite a bit now just to check everything is ok? Also, 2k for a 6speed conversion sounds alright.. How much weight does that add to a classic? Doesn't that start to bring it towards the weight of a newage?
Old 14 May 2014, 10:07 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Jackals, I think you've hit the nail on huge head there. I'm not sure I want to drive it hard to go anywhere. I just had a spirited drive home and didn't go over 5,000rpm as I've got a lot of low down torque.

I think I will take a look because I do like the newer models of impreza, excluding the new hatchback and bug eye.

JGlanzaV, are you saying that a 500bhp car engine needs regular rebuilds? As I said, I regularly service my car and do fork out quite a bit now just to check everything is ok? Also, 2k for a 6speed conversion sounds alright.. How much weight does that add to a classic? Doesn't that start to bring it towards the weight of a newage?
Yes of course a 500hp engine will require rebuilds and refreshing etc, It is double the factory output so will be stressed and requires lookng after to suit. mine is almost due a strip down. after 15-20k miles. Like I said, a 500hp car is a whole different world of expense and time and servicing.

350-400hp in a classic, is a seriously fast car, and probably sounds more suited to what you want....

A 6spd is about 150kg heavier IIRC so I wouldnt have thought so?

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 14 May 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 14 May 2014, 10:18 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Have a look, this is just some of the things ive had to spend money on lol

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...sic-scoob.html
Old 14 May 2014, 10:34 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

I see, although I would have thought the strengthened internals would ensure that it would be rather durable if treated with respect.

I guess I have a lot to learn when it comes to engine modifications but I don't like the idea of 20k rebuilds. Surely there are ways to get a car to this power without having to rebuild so regularly.. After all, it's not like the engine listed in my original post has very many of the standard parts that made it a 276bhp car. I mean sure, 20k is 2-3years of driving so it's affordable but seems crazy.

Last edited by edizio; 14 May 2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 14 May 2014, 10:51 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Personally I wouldn't bother spending money on your current classic as the 6 speed is one thing but then you need injectors, turbo, bigger brakes, suspension parts, engine rebuild, etc and it is not worth it unless you have a strong attachment with your car IMO.

I would just buy a JDM STi blobeye and, if not already done so, get it too around 400hp with only doing minimal things and you will have a great point-to-point car which is even better due to the twinscroll setup.
Just my 2 pence

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 14 May 2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 15 May 2014, 10:14 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subaru Collector 555
Personally I wouldn't bother spending money on your current classic as the 6 speed is one thing but then you need injectors, turbo, bigger brakes, suspension parts, engine rebuild, etc and it is not worth it unless you have a strong attachment with your car IMO.

I would just buy a JDM STi blobeye and, if not already done so, get it too around 400hp with only doing minimal things and you will have a great point-to-point car which is even better due to the twinscroll setup.
Just my 2 pence

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
He already has the main expensive parts on his classic.

A 400hp classic will feel like a 500hp newage, they are completely different cars. And as the OP said if he isnt going above 5k that blob is going to be a pig to drive, you wont even have got it on boost by the time you are changing gear lol.

By the time you have upgraded your turbo to an sc40 or similar, with injectors etc, you are probably still well under 5k on your classic.

Brakes second hand brembo 4 pots with PF discs and pads. 350
6 speed 2k if not fitting yourself
Coilovers 650+fitting

Forged engine internals are built to be stronger against detonation, revs etc, they still wear and will have a whole host of other problems associated with the build. My car is running 535hp and it has done 20k miles, when you start using it as it was intended for things break. It spat a shim which is a whole engine out job and off to Enginetuner to fix and reshim.

Its not necessarily the engine that will cause the issues. Like i said, brake pads, clutches etc, are all VERY expensive, and wont last half as long on a car like that.

I think you really need a twinscroll newage for what you want Speak to Craig (infectedbysti) he has an awesome twinscroll blob that is over 400hp, and full boost by circa 3krpm IIRC
Old 15 May 2014, 10:27 AM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Thank you for your advice. I found out the owner of the original car and sent him a message just to find out some more information. Chrisdicko was the original owner from this forum.

I will take a look as I'm still interested but I really appreciate what you say and think that unless this car really strikes my fancy, I'll probably just look at doing the 6speed conversion and go for a decent 380bhp capable turbo with supporting mods on my car. It's in really really good condition.

I was looking at the Godspeed brakes, 4 pots all around. They looked pretty good!
Old 15 May 2014, 10:33 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Thank you for your advice. I found out the owner of the original car and sent him a message just to find out some more information. Chrisdicko was the original owner from this forum.

I will take a look as I'm still interested but I really appreciate what you say and think that unless this car really strikes my fancy, I'll probably just look at doing the 6speed conversion and go for a decent 380bhp capable turbo with supporting mods on my car. It's in really really good condition.

I was looking at the Godspeed brakes, 4 pots all around. They looked pretty good!
6 speed
decent brakes, I run 330mm 8 pots on front and 2 pots rear
Turbo, manifolds etc
Big injectors and a decent ecu

There are plenty of options, and your car shouldnt cost anywhere near what you would spend on that newage

a 400hp classic is something else, it is a seriously fast car, a 500hp classic is just insane lol
Old 15 May 2014, 10:38 AM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Was actually going to go for a newage inter cooler as my friend and I are quite mechanically minded when it comes to accessible modifications.

Additionally going for: 550cc injectors, hybrid turbo, simtek map

Already running the relevant exhaust on up pipe/downpipe/catback.

I expect it to cost me around £5000 all together to get it to around 400 then additional money for brakes and suspension. I can fit the brakes myself etc but I'd have to have someone fit the suspension modifications for me if I were to go for coilovers etc.
Old 15 May 2014, 10:47 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

You could do the coilovers etc yourself, they arent difficult, then just drive VERY slowly to a place to get them set up, should say a few bob
Old 15 May 2014, 11:11 AM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Haha, you underestimate how slow I drive!

Thanks! Will look into this
Old 15 May 2014, 06:04 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
He already has the main expensive parts on his classic.

A 400hp classic will feel like a 500hp newage, they are completely different cars. And as the OP said if he isnt going above 5k that blob is going to be a pig to drive, you wont even have got it on boost by the time you are changing gear lol.

By the time you have upgraded your turbo to an sc40 or similar, with injectors etc, you are probably still well under 5k on your classic.

Brakes second hand brembo 4 pots with PF discs and pads. 350
6 speed 2k if not fitting yourself
Coilovers 650+fitting

Forged engine internals are built to be stronger against detonation, revs etc, they still wear and will have a whole host of other problems associated with the build. My car is running 535hp and it has done 20k miles, when you start using it as it was intended for things break. It spat a shim which is a whole engine out job and off to Enginetuner to fix and reshim.

Its not necessarily the engine that will cause the issues. Like i said, brake pads, clutches etc, are all VERY expensive, and wont last half as long on a car like that.

I think you really need a twinscroll newage for what you want Speak to Craig (infectedbysti) he has an awesome twinscroll blob that is over 400hp, and full boost by circa 3krpm IIRC
In that case it would probably be worth it as he has got most of the parts. If the car was standard with a few bolt-ons then it may not have been as cost effective. A twinscroll would be the best option or an overhauled 2.5 engine for low end torque.

Is the OP's car already forged as I thought the standard classic STi engine would not handle anything over 350hp?

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 15 May 2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 15 May 2014, 08:08 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, well I'll have a test drive and see how it feels.

I may just end up spending some of that money on my own classic instead but the problem is really that I'm running a version 6 5speed gearbox so it's not really going to last at anything over 350. Plus, even though the pistons are forged, I can't really push 400+ without spending over 10,000.

I guess my main reason for not driving hard is I'm scared that I'll break my car :P

Don't get me wrong, I occasionally do put my foot down but I'm not typically one of these guys who just drives like a bull in a china shop everywhere. Typically every scooby driver I see on the road seems to just look like they're abusing their car. Contrariwise, when I go to some of the tracks, the cars do look quite nice and well looked after.
Originally Posted by Subaru Collector 555
In that case it would probably be worth it as he has got most of the parts. If the car was standard with a few bolt-ons then it may not have been as cost effective. A twinscroll would be the best option or an overhauled 2.5 engine for low end torque.

Is the OP's car already forged as I thought the standard classic STi engine would not handle anything over 350hp?

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Old 15 May 2014, 10:08 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks, I previously thought that the pistons were 'forged' as OE standard as I had heard that the JDM internals were 'forged' when built, but this was debateble and may not have applied to all years if true?

Anyway my mistake

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 15 May 2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 15 May 2014, 10:19 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Engine built by Pennine Subaru...
Old 15 May 2014, 11:06 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

So I didn't like it in the end, as predicted by Jackals! (Told me so )

The power kicks in at around 4000rpm.. which is the point I'm usually shifting down! The car seemed really nice though but just doesn't suit how I like to drive my car.

I was under the impression my current car had forged pistons (version 6 JDM STi), although I wouldn't have thought going past 380 on standard gearbox/internals is clever.. especially with stock intercooler.

It's a largely standard car; only modifications are the panel filter, downpipe and catback (with sports cat). Bob mapped it to 340bhp and 345ft-lbs torque; although this wasn't on the dyno so could be less.

I guess my saving grace is that I drive like a fairy; no hard shifting, never launching, rarely going above 5,000rpm.. I'm on stock brakes from new I believe.. I'm just an impreza fan boy with a car that's unnecessarily fast!

Last edited by edizio; 15 May 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 16 May 2014, 07:44 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

The power kicks in at around 4000rpm.. which is the point I'm usually shifting down! The car seemed really nice though but just doesn't suit how I like to drive my car.

I was under the impression my current car had forged pistons (version 6 JDM STi), although I wouldn't have thought going past 380 on standard gearbox/internals is clever.. especially with stock intercooler.

It's a largely standard car; only modifications are the panel filter, downpipe and catback (with sports cat). Bob mapped it to 340bhp and 345ft-lbs torque; although this wasn't on the dyno so could be less.

I guess my saving grace is that I drive like a fairy; no hard shifting, never launching, rarely going above 5,000rpm.. I'm on stock brakes from new I believe.. I'm just an impreza fan boy with a car that's unnecessarily fast!
Just enjoy your car mate, id go the route of improving it if you dont drive it, mod it to suit your style, if handling and low down spool etc are important to you, then maybe go a route of suspension mods and geo set up,

decent brakes (under any kind of real abuse the brakes just are not up to the job!))

and possibly some head work and a decent set of harvey manifolds to bring the spool etc down so you get more use of the power!
Old 16 May 2014, 11:42 AM
Jackals
Scooby Regular

Did you test drive anything else while you were there? I previously had an STi Type UK and p/ex for one of his JDM blobs.

I do miss the burble...

Quick Reply: Anyone recognise this car?