Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2014, 06:28 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes or just recondition?

He ya'll.

Just wanted people's opinions.

I have (currently) a standard 2006 wrx which i will be modding to about 300bhp. I wont be going any higher.

Should I consider new brakes or just pay a lot less and get current ones refurbished.

Silly question, but I genuinely don't know. Can you just replace front brakes then put them on the rear?

Thanks all
Old 26 April 2014, 06:34 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Are you talking about calipers?SJ.
Old 26 April 2014, 06:35 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Fronts won't fit rears afaik. What brakes have you got now? If it was me and aslong as the braking is ok, upgrade the pads.
Old 26 April 2014, 06:43 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

I don't rate Subaru WRX brakes to be honest,they do a job on the standard set up (power)but can be made to fade quite easily.If your aim is for 300 bhp,a good set of disc and pads and braided lines with a good brake fluid,should be more then adequate to put anchors on your WRX,Ian of Godspeed brakes on here is a good place to start or Alyn of ASPERFORMANCE for parts Info and very good prices.SJ.
Old 26 April 2014, 06:45 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
I don't rate Subaru WRX brakes to be honest,they do a job on the standard set up (power)but can be made to fade quite easily.If your aim is for 300 bhp,a good set of disc and pads and braided lines with a good brake fluid,should be more then adequate to put anchors on your WRX,Ian of Godspeed brakes on here is a good place to start or Alyn of ASPERFORMANCE for parts Info and very good prices.SJ.
Sorry, yeah I meant getting a whole set. Currently just running the standard 4 pots at the front. So just upgrade discs and lines and pads but get calipers reconditioned?
Old 26 April 2014, 07:13 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dabiscuit
Sorry, yeah I meant getting a whole set. Currently just running the standard 4 pots at the front. So just upgrade discs and lines and pads but get calipers reconditioned?
Yeah that would definitely be more then enough for 300 bhp!and it's also a good chance to get your calipers checked to see if the pots are moving freely.One more thing that I forgot to ask you,Is your car just for the streets or have you got plans for a track day or two?As pad compound and disc choice will vary by how you will be using your car 99% of the time,But the two company's that I mentioned above will put you right and Taylor you a setup that will suit your driving style,let us know how you get on.SJ.
Old 27 April 2014, 12:19 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Yeah that would definitely be more then enough for 300 bhp!and it's also a good chance to get your calipers checked to see if the pots are moving freely.One more thing that I forgot to ask you,Is your car just for the streets or have you got plans for a track day or two?As pad compound and disc choice will vary by how you will be using your car 99% of the time,But the two company's that I mentioned above will put you right and Taylor you a setup that will suit your driving style,let us know how you get on.SJ.
It will only be for road use with the occasional b road blast. Might track it in the future, but I doubt it.
Thanks for the handy advice!