Sponsored by:

hawkeye reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2014, 10:34 AM
k9l3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye reliability

hi again right after looking at blobeyes and not finding any to my taste at the moment and looking at other cars now i have started looking at the hawkeyes the only thing i have been put off is from research saying they pop head gaskets aswell as other bits go.

now i do love the looks of the hawkeye but i dont want a car where the engine could pop as i would buy a rx8 otherwise i heard the wrx are ok its the sti thats the problem but i cant find a definate answer.

i looking at 55/06 plate for cheaper tax.

are they a good reliable car that can handle a remap without problems or modifications aswell

so
Old 11 April 2014, 10:40 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

you got a definative answer ont eh other thread you started 2 weeks ago. all hawks, wrx and sti's suffere with engine problems.

have you got a budget in mind you want to spend?
Old 11 April 2014, 10:55 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hawk Jdm 2 litre would be the one to go for, or a cheap 2.5 and keep a spare few grand for the inevitable.
Old 11 April 2014, 11:29 AM
k9l3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
you got a definative answer ont eh other thread you started 2 weeks ago. all hawks, wrx and sti's suffere with engine problems.

have you got a budget in mind you want to spend?
5k there some tidy hawks for 5500 . you put me off now i just cant get what i want . i love the rx8,s but hate the engines. i love the look of the hawk but i dont want a car thats going to cost money breaking.
i like dc5,s but too overpriced and unrealistic, i would buy another supra but can be bit old looking sometimes and would like a manual and they are too expensive. looked at buying another s2000 but 03 + are also very expensive. i was lucky and got mine (cat d) for 3900 with 45000 miles
which was stupid cheap loved the car was most realible car i ever had . but 2 seats could be a pain sometimes.
i do like the blobeye but wanted a nice looking one and some lately that are advertised look a bit naff or just do not look very nice. my EYES are hurting for looking on the internet for last 4 weeks straight hunting for a car

i am confused right now serious the other thing is i never know how long i will keep a car could be year could be months so i dont want to buy a car with serious known issues and yes i know any car can but better to start with something reliable first.

another question
if i did find a normal wrx blob as alot more to look for then a prodrive.
what changes do you need to do to map the car i know you can straight remap it but i remember when i had my blob before people recommended some changes that should really be done.
Old 11 April 2014, 11:41 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

yeah forged hawk wont be around for that sort of money, even wrx's. nearer 8k for a forged one.

Not all of them go bang, but alot do, depends if youw ant to take a chance or not.

you could prob pick up a bug sti for around 5, for that sort of budget that would be my choice.
Old 11 April 2014, 11:44 AM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

id rather pay a wee bit more for older much cleaner car than less for a newer motor, pay for what you get but budget 5500 for hawk is quite mad as engine costs near 4k almost 75% of what the car itself is
Old 11 April 2014, 11:49 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Why do people always want to tune cars before they even buy the car.If you want a 500bhp monster then that's fine but these car as standard are not slow.At the lights you can out launch most cars and unless your racing the stig you can destroy most on the bends.The Subaru is a good around car that leans towards performance.I would just get what you want.(and maybe stay away from 08-09 hatch)but out of your price range anyway.
Old 11 April 2014, 11:55 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve's Sti
id rather pay a wee bit more for older much cleaner car than less for a newer motor, pay for what you get but budget 5500 for hawk is quite mad as engine costs near 4k almost 75% of what the car itself is
Can anybody show ONE STANDARD hawk that has had to have a new engine. Have seen one or two that needed new HG but that it is.
Old 11 April 2014, 12:05 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chris j t
Can anybody show ONE STANDARD hawk that has had to have a new engine. Have seen one or two that needed new HG but that it is.
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-failures.html

At least a dozen normal, standard Subaru Warrantied cars in this thread that have gone bang, some twice!
Old 11 April 2014, 12:17 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Plenty mines did it so I went all in new turbo all the rest, mines is from previous experience not searching on google
Old 11 April 2014, 12:23 PM
k9l3
Scooby Regular

see this is my point some say they ok some say they not but my luck i will have the faults.

also regarding buying a older car thats a no it must be a blob if not a hawk

also the thing is if the head gasket goes does that mean 2 heads. and price wise must be alot

i think i should still look at the blob now otherwise i wont feel confident with a hawk now..
Old 11 April 2014, 12:30 PM
k9l3
Scooby Regular

Why do people always want to tune cars before they even buy the car.If you want a 500bhp monster then that's fine but these car as standard are not slow.At the lights you can out launch most cars and unless your racing the stig you can destroy most on the bends.The Subaru is a good around car that leans towards performance.I would just get what you want.(and maybe stay away from 08-09 hatch)but out of your price range anyway.
reason i looking to tune and i mean only a remap is because i already had a
wrx which was standard so i wanted something faster this time reason i wanted a prodrive.
so if i cant get a prodrive i need a remapped or to remap one but properly.
Old 11 April 2014, 12:46 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

everybody bleats on about hawk failures. they where only made between 2005 & 2007. thats like now 7yrs ago.

if it hasn't failed by now then id say you'd be safe enough. and if it has failed then its been repaired by now!

like purchasing any car, dont go in blind, know what you are looking at & what you should be looking for.
Old 11 April 2014, 12:48 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by k9l3
also the thing is if the head gasket goes does that mean 2 heads. and price wise must be alot

i think i should still look at the blob now otherwise i wont feel confident with a hawk now..
First i'll cover the head gasket question, its unlikelty both gaskets will fail simultaneously as they're independant banks of cylinders. So odds are only one side will fail.

As for the engine failure, yes it may happen but by the same notion you could get hit by a car before you've even bought the thing. Sure you might wanna save some money away (or have a credit card) just in case but that's common sense. I certainly wouldn't let it worry you or indeed be a reason to discount the Hawk.
Old 11 April 2014, 12:49 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

the main factor is mines drove with the only issue that it would hold back on boost once everynow and again so in context there could be a lot more with ringland failure still driving around blissfully unaware, buy a car for how you feel not what everyone says look at the failures for everyother manufacturer, seems to be everyday new threads starting who cares
Old 11 April 2014, 12:51 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

i bought my last one with a blown engine,that was a standard wrx that suffered ring land failure at about 60k, there's a whole thread on here running into hundreds of page on it, no idea why you would think that.

you dont work for IM do you by the way?

Last edited by Tidgy; 11 April 2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11 April 2014, 12:53 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-failures.html

At least a dozen normal, standard Subaru Warrantied cars in this thread that have gone bang, some twice!
Had a quick look and could only see 08-09 hatch which was the ones with the new ecu map still no HAWKS.I know you guys no your stuff and I suspect a lot more than me and I respect that but still I have trouble finding any standard hawks..All cars from BMW to ford have the odd one. I know you will say its more than that but I just can't find them.I get told to stop being a t**t and just read the threads or go to this site or that site but when I do its always been a 2.5 hatch or a tuned car not a STANDARD hawk.
Old 11 April 2014, 12:55 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve's Sti
the main factor is mines drove with the only issue that it would hold back on boost once everynow and again so in context there could be a lot more with ringland failure still driving around blissfully unaware, buy a car for how you feel not what everyone says look at the failures for everyother manufacturer, seems to be everyday new threads starting who cares
Just out of interest, what do you mean by 'hold back'??
Old 11 April 2014, 01:00 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

you dont work for IM do you by the way?[/QUOTE]

No but can ask about for you if you want a job there
P.S we both know the car you bought had engine failure because it had not been topped up with oil and was not looked after.(only joking)

Last edited by Carnut; 11 April 2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11 April 2014, 01:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

lol. speak to any of the tuners who do rebuilds and you'll get more of an understanding, the 2.5 was a hatched job, cheap pistons, cheap rods etc etc

once rebuilt right and taken to around 450 they are awesomeengines, loads of low down grunt etc out the factory there just crap
Old 11 April 2014, 01:16 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

I thought the rods were supposed to be quite strong?
Old 11 April 2014, 01:21 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Just out of interest, what do you mean by 'hold back'??
hold back boost then give back that's how I knew
Old 11 April 2014, 01:27 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

hi again right after looking at blobeyes and not finding any to my taste at the moment and looking at other cars now i have started looking at the hawkeyes the only thing i have been put off is from research saying they pop head gaskets aswell as other bits go.

now i do love the looks of the hawkeye but i dont want a car where the engine could pop as i would buy a rx8 otherwise i heard the wrx are ok its the sti thats the problem but i cant find a definate answer.

i looking at 55/06 plate for cheaper tax.

are they a good reliable car that can handle a remap without problems or modifications aswell

so
Give me strength!

So you no longer want a 53 plate ppp WRX for no money? You want a hawk for the same price?

an 06 reg Hawk WRX will still be £440 per year on tax. I have one, I know.

I have also owned a faultless RX8 and RX7. Great fun cars! Don't knock them.
Old 11 April 2014, 01:30 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

So what is your budget to buy this new car you keep looking for?

If you let us know we can all search for cars you can reject for one reason or another!
Old 11 April 2014, 01:41 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
So what is your budget to buy this new car you keep looking for?

If you let us know we can all search for cars you can reject for one reason or another!
Lmfao
Old 11 April 2014, 01:44 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

He wants a 'Prodrive'. Come on people, find him a Prodrive!

I'd give up and let the fella use the search button.
Old 11 April 2014, 01:50 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

reason i looking to tune and i mean only a remap is because i already had a
wrx which was standard so i wanted something faster this time reason i wanted a prodrive.
so if i cant get a prodrive i need a remapped or to remap one but properly.
http://www.williamsmotor.co.uk/used-...diff-glamorgan

Penarth Rd, get your **** down for at least a look!
Old 11 April 2014, 01:56 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

Bought my hawk new 7 years ago and not a single problem
Old 11 April 2014, 02:01 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby1929
Bought my hawk new 7 years ago and not a single problem
Same here, bought mine when it was 1 year old!

Secondary air system failed on mine at 4 years old and at £1200 quoted to fix I took the opportunity to remove it completely and change the turbo & loads of bits at the same time! Since then it's been good as gold!
Old 11 April 2014, 02:02 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

I bought a 2006 Hawkeye completely standard (if not for better alarm/immobiliser) yesterday for 5700. It's a 2.5 ltr turbo. Gonna be a project car for me. I just couldn't afford an STI. I'm going to do cosmetic adjustments then aim to get 300 - 350 bhp once I can afford engine mods.

As others have said, it seems to be luck of the draw, though I drove mine 172 miles yesterday and it feels as tight as a drum

Quick Reply: hawkeye reliability