Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any point having a nice car these days?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2014, 03:39 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any point having a nice car these days?

My rear bumper now has a nice 10 inch crack in it due to a work colleague reversing into it today. She has a 2002 Ranger Rover with fecking parking sensors!

She told me 3 hours after it happened that she 'might' have hit it but couldn't see any damage. But as it was me, she felt the need to be honest. I went out and straight way saw this:

Her first words were - 'Well I can't see how it was me.' To which I pointed to her tow hook which was 2 inches from my bumper.

She wants our painter at work to repair and 'blow it over'. We are an engineering company and he usually sprays gearboxes and RIV MOD Fire engines. Not exactly a coachworks!

But I had the front and rear freshly painted and blended only a few months ago after another **** reversed into it in the gym car park. The guy who hit me owned up to it and paid what the rear bumper cost to repair (£200) and I then spent a further £500 making it mint.

Fecked off the say the least.

Don't know whether to have it repaired and painted or get a new bumper.

What do you think? Easy repair?

Last edited by Gear Head; 10 April 2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10 April 2014, 03:42 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

She can "want" whatever she wants, worst case go through insurance as long you're happy. Personally I would have the bumper repaired and painted at a painter of my choice
Old 10 April 2014, 03:46 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Ouch. Very annoying. Have had my cars damaged a few times in our small friendly work car part. Only once has someone own up to it (which was still fixed at my cost). Hope you get it sorted!
Old 10 April 2014, 03:47 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
She can "want" whatever she wants
Agreed, You can't have a cheapo/crap job done purely to keep someone happy who damaged your car.

Get it done so that you are happy, and this time get the entire bumper replaced at her expense.
Old 10 April 2014, 03:49 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Oh, and also get her insurance details today whilst still at work, don't let a few days pass before you act on it, leading to the inevitable "actually it wasn't me".
Old 10 April 2014, 03:52 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stupid bint at work put her tow bar into mine the same. .. thought it was funny that she was such a poor driver

I don't take anything anywhere that I don't want broke these days. There is no point buying a mint new car. No one has any respect it seems.
Old 10 April 2014, 04:31 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Let her try What's the worse can happen .
Plus do u really want to go the insurers route. If need be go that way but
Let her try , and if she Is a work mate mmmmmm could be well u no .
Old 10 April 2014, 04:41 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jayjay100
Let her try What's the worse can happen .
Plus do u really want to go the insurers route. If need be go that way but
Let her try , and if she Is a work mate mmmmmm could be well u no .
So what you're saying is: Shagged car = Possible shagged female colleague?

Right!
Old 10 April 2014, 05:33 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your not having much luck lately. That's why i drive a 100k 54 plate blob wrx as my daily that i don't care about because if i drove my type r everywhere i'd kill some ****** with my crook lock.
Old 10 April 2014, 05:41 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

That's karma for all the pointless posts you put on this forum

joking aside you could repaint it without any repair for about 100 and if you've already had the rear quarters blew in recently then you may not need to do it again.
Old 10 April 2014, 06:05 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

You got to be stubborn when anything like that happens to your car, the accident was not your fault, and now she's telling you that she wants your car to be painted by your work!! Be firm with her and tell her that its going through the insurance as the car is mint and you want a mint job doing or something that suits you and not on her terms!!!

My car was hit a few months ago outside my house, a guy left the handbrake off his car and it rolled into mine, he said he would pay for it, but I told him not a chance its going through the insurance weather he likes it or not, he even gave me a sob story about how his insurance will go up and he only has 1 years ncb, which i replied I dont care as I want my car fixing!!!

Same with the insurance company, they told me that they will send it to one of there approved bodyshop, which I refused and said no its going to Panel Care in Rochdale to be painted by Cuprajake on here!!

Then the best bit, I was sent a courtesy car and the other sides insurance company would foot the bill, I told them I want a like for like car, so dont send me a Vauxhall corsa or some french crap.
So they sent me a brand new 63 plate BMW 325D M Sport(in white), had the BMW for a week until I got a phone call from the insurance company moaning that the BMW was costing £200+Vat a day and that my car would not be fixed until 2 weeks time.
They then asked if I could give the courtesy car back and have one of there hire/courtesy cars, which I refused, then they offered me £1000 as compensation to give the car back and not have a courtesy car for 2 weeks(guess which one I choose)
Old 10 April 2014, 06:32 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies. And no 'favours' from her thank you. She is in her late 50's. (sorry to all the oldies on here!)
I have done all sorts of favours for her in the past like diagnosing faults on her money pit range rover, spending one sunday helping at one of the horse shows that she attends, bringing her into work when her car is being repaired etc etc.

I said to her on the way out of work that I wanted Altered Image Coachworks to do the repair as I know their work and they did it before. (spent £750 with them 6 months ago which included front and rear respray and 'deglazing' the head lights). Her response was 'i don't want to see an invoice', ie that she will have to pay VAT and that she is not paying hundreds of pounds.

Absolute cheek of it.

I'm guessing £200. Not exactly going to break the bank when she has a V8 Range Rover and a bloody horse.

I've always got on with her but she really showed her true colours today.

Fed up doing favours for people and getting it thrown back in my face.
Old 10 April 2014, 06:33 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
That's karma for all the pointless posts you put on this forum
Oi! Cheeky sod!
Old 10 April 2014, 07:03 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I remember the gym incident - where the two guys sheepishly approached you in there and turned out to be decent guys?

You're the one with the damage, so by law you can take it anywhere you like and go through her insurance.
Old 10 April 2014, 07:07 PM
Oranges
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Cheers for the replies. And no 'favours' from her thank you. She is in her late 50's. (sorry to all the oldies on here!) I have done all sorts of favours for her in the past like diagnosing faults on her money pit range rover, spending one sunday helping at one of the horse shows that she attends, bringing her into work when her car is being repaired etc etc. I said to her on the way out of work that I wanted Altered Image Coachworks to do the repair as I know their work and they did it before. (spent £750 with them 6 months ago which included front and rear respray and 'deglazing' the head lights). Her response was 'i don't want to see an invoice', ie that she will have to pay VAT and that she is not paying hundreds of pounds. Absolute cheek of it. I'm guessing £200. Not exactly going to break the bank when she has a V8 Range Rover and a bloody horse. I've always got on with her but she really showed her true colours today. Fed up doing favours for people and getting it thrown back in my face.
Screw her, get your car fixed to your standards not hers. If she can afford to pay or not it doesn't matter, she hit you, she admitted it, her fault! She pays!

Ps she sounds like a cow.
Old 10 April 2014, 08:04 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
I remember the gym incident - where the two guys sheepishly approached you in there and turned out to be decent guys?

You're the one with the damage, so by law you can take it anywhere you like and go through her insurance.
Spot, they were decent guys and fair play to them.

I really don't want to go through insurance company as there will still be a claim against my car. 12 years no claims and I want it to stay that way.

I'll see what she says tomorrow.

If she still wants to pay peanuts to have it repaired, I'll just pay for it myself and be done with it. Life is too short.
Old 10 April 2014, 08:05 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Oranges
she sounds like a cow.
Sounds like a word beginning with c and it aint cow
Old 10 April 2014, 08:12 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It wont affect your insurance it was her fault!
Old 10 April 2014, 08:24 PM
JusNoGood
Scooby Regular

At least you know who did it.

Someone keyed down the side of my car from bumper to bumper.
Old 10 April 2014, 08:31 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not having much luck with that back bumper. It must be a hatred for imprezas. I had my A3 for nearly 3 years and only got 1 very minor parking ding, so far in 6 months with the impreza I've had a parking ding in either front door ( 1 taking paint off), and a hit and run scuff on the back corner of my bumper. It's annoying when I like to try and keep my cars mint, and I'm trying to get ready for show season, and now I've got a WR1 that in need of a full respray.
Old 10 April 2014, 08:43 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
It wont affect your insurance it was her fault!
And I quote " People who make non fault claims are more likely to make fault claims in the future" ( Admiral )

That's what I was told when someone opened there car door on me, and my insurance went up. Not by much, but up non the less.

Total *****!
Old 10 April 2014, 09:29 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I was 19 and had saved for years to get a wrx.It was a forest green with gold wheels .I was a bus driver and had only had the car one day and one of the other drivers drove in to the back of it when it was parked with a BUS.Then a week later at work again someone put a bin next to my car that was very full so the lid did not close and then the wind continued to bounce the lid of the rear panel. My boss was good about it though he said he would get one of the guys in the garage to spray it for me if I got the paint he had a lot of experience spraying bus wheels with silver paint etc
Old 10 April 2014, 09:40 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

A: Is she fit?

Last edited by riiidaa; 10 April 2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: standard scoobynet question
Old 10 April 2014, 09:53 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by poolio74

And I quote " People who make non fault claims are more likely to make fault claims in the future" ( Admiral )

That's what I was told when someone opened there car door on me, and my insurance went up. Not by much, but up non the less.

Total *****!
Exactly what I thought. Claimants are more likely to claim again, regardless of fault. So the risk for the insurer goes up and so does your premium.
Old 10 April 2014, 10:17 PM
lineker13
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack the thread but is this 'non fault claim' why my insurance went up? A couple of years ago myself and the family were camping when, in the middle of the night a drunk camper decided to drive his van straight through our tent (narrowly missing me, the missus & our son, who were sleeping at the time) and smack the back of my Impreza resulting in a claim for a new bumper through his insurance company (he was convicted of DUI at a later date). When my insurance was due for renewal I phoned a company after receiving a decent online quote, who then decided to add an extra £300 on top of the original quote due to said 'non fault claim'. This was the first accident I've been involved in during 16 years of driving, with 16 years no claims bonus. Should claiming on another person's insurance affect my no claims bonus? Gear Head, really sorry to hear about your bad luck fella, hope it all gets sorted for you
Old 10 April 2014, 10:29 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

This is the problem with insurance. In some cases even a non fault claim on someone else's insurance that was not your fault will put your insurance up the following year. You still need to declare accidents even if not your fault. Unfair I know.
Old 10 April 2014, 10:41 PM
lineker13
Scooby Regular

It's shocking. If I knew my insurance would've increased I wouldn't have even bothered claiming for a back bumper. The only reason I did was because the police who turned up advised me to do it. Are my 16 years no claims affected at all?
Old 10 April 2014, 10:52 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Not if it wasn't your fault.
Old 10 April 2014, 11:06 PM
jonnyricer2
Scooby Regular

I use my old run about 1 whole ltr micra to go to and from work doesn't matter if it gets knocked!!
Scoob Comes out at the week end.

Hope you get it fixed with out to much hassle.
Old 10 April 2014, 11:18 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I have no claims bonus protection. Is this just a waste of money?

Quick Reply: Is there any point having a nice car these days?