Sponsored by:

Possible new owner

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2014, 10:25 AM
motorboat
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new owner

Hi guys, im looking for some advice. Im sure this will have been done to death so if theres a thread I can read (I did look) just let me know. Im looking to buy a 2002 bug eye WRX tonight, I had a viewing and it all looked good, car is straight, miles add up and recent belt and clutch within the last 20k. I have a few questions though I hope you can help with:

- Do these cars come in white from the factory?
- The car has done 99k but well serviced, good for another 99k?
- Is it worth me taking off the Baileys dump valve (spelling) and putting the standard one back on (Remember reading some negative things about them a few years ago when I owned a Terzo)
- Is it essential to use 97+ ron on the standard car? Its not mapped for performance or anything as far as im aware.
- Car has an Afterburner Raptor on that im not too fussed about. It runs from the first cat all the way back (Not turbo back). Would I be able to get a good price and get a standard set up as the second section is included in the sale.
- My Terzo had problems with the rocker cover gaskets leaking, same problem with the bug eye engine? Anything else likely to regularly dent my wallet?

Sorry for all the questions, my insurance is primed to change over when im ready and the cash is there to buy it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09 April 2014, 10:43 AM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Can't say I've ever seen a white bugeye WRX but that's not to say this wasn't an option from factory. Most white newages I've seen have been special editions ie, spec-c or jdm.
If the car has been well looked after and has FSH then as long as you keep up service intervals you should be good. Of course you will have to replace non service items with a car of that age along the way.
As regards to the dump value, yes have it off and replace with the OEM one unless you enjoy the noise. It can cause fueling issues without proper mapping.
Not sure what raptors go for but I'm sure someone out there would want it, probably not much interest on here for it but I'd sling it on eBay. As fair as getting hold of a standard back box, as it happens I have one off my blobeye which was taken off and put in storage when I first got the car, if your interested let me know
As far as the rocker cover gaskets, I've been running my WRX at well over 300bhp for some years with no issue in that area, not aware its a common issue either.

Hope some of that helped.
Old 09 April 2014, 10:49 AM
motorboat
Scooby Newbie

Mate thats great info, thanks for taking the time to reply. Im just very wary as I had a lot of problems with my last Scoob but after a test drive last night I was hooked again. I think ill probably take off that DV, more than happy with the standard one. I like modding a bit but im not what you would call a boy racer. Just love the feel and handling of the car and where I like we get harsh winters lol.

Did you have any thoughts as to the 97+ ron fuel?

Thanks again dude!
Old 09 April 2014, 10:56 AM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

No not essential to use premium fuel but I would always do so if funds will allow, much better for the health of the engine. You will only get bhp gains from it if mapped for it.
Old 09 April 2014, 11:01 AM
motorboat
Scooby Newbie

Great, thanks for that.
Old 09 April 2014, 11:01 AM
adz556
Scooby Regular

Everyone will recommend 99 mate. I believe it lowers the temperature of the burn in the combustion chamber and some how lessens the wear on the big end shells (I'm sure that was the reason when I read up on it) but definitely 99. BP ultimate (the main 97 available) is known for not being great with Imprezas so really would stick with Shell V power for the best of tesco 99.
Old 09 April 2014, 11:32 AM
motorboat
Scooby Newbie

Ok thanks for that too. Ive just done a HPI and its all ok. here are a few pictures, dont know if any of you experts can see anything out of the ordinary? Thanks again

Trending Topics

Old 09 April 2014, 11:56 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Can I ask how much the car is advertised at?

If interested make sure you get under the car and check for any signs of leaks from engine, box, and rear diffs.

Check all fluid levels and try to hear it starting from stone cold, make sure there no signs of anything in the water and they all on level, just the basics really, and give it a decent test drive, none of this 5 mins around the block malarkey, get it up to temp, give it some boost ( don't be shy after all it's what your about to part with your hard earned for ) listen for any whines or unwanted clunks knocks or bangs etc.

If it's been looked after then all should seem well but it's approaching the mileage where inevitably it's going to need some kind of maintenance at some point, from bushes, mounts, suspension etc.

Biggest thing I can honestly say is don't buy a car on the way it looks! I've known people to view cars that have produced faults but they still buy them based on "but I really like it" all because of how it sits or a set of wheels etc, don't be blinded
Old 09 April 2014, 12:00 PM
motorboat
Scooby Newbie

Absolutely mate, ive given it a good look over and everything is as id expect, test drive was good too. Car is advertised at £3200 but im negotiating at the moment as theres a few little things that need sorting.

Last edited by motorboat; 09 April 2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09 April 2014, 01:38 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Rear light clusters don't look to legal from that pic...correct me if I'm wrong but didn't think you could black out or smoke over the full cluster...If you didn't already know it's also got a blobeye bonnet scoop rather than the one it would have come with.
Old 09 April 2014, 01:45 PM
motorboat
Scooby Newbie

Yeah its got some crappy peel off mesh on atm, ill be talking that straight off. He has the standard scoop in with the sale so ill probably put that back on too. Is it worth anything?
Old 09 April 2014, 02:00 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

If it's a WRX scoop then maybe £30-40 at a guess, if it's the higher STI scoop then more like £100. Can't tell which it is from those pics.
Old 09 April 2014, 02:04 PM
motorboat
Scooby Newbie

I'll get some more info as I go. Need to decide in the next hour or so. I think im just a bit wary after my last experience with a scooby and its holding me back a bit.
Old 09 April 2014, 03:37 PM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

The paint code will be on the VIN plate. A quick Google will tell you if it is correct. I have never seen a UK Bugeye in white, I have seen a JDM STI though.
Old 09 April 2014, 03:38 PM
motorboat
Scooby Newbie

Ive decided against it. Cheers for all the advice though lads I really do appreciate it.
Old 09 April 2014, 05:44 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motorboat
Ive decided against it. Cheers for all the advice though lads I really do appreciate it.

Out of interest, why did you back out?
Old 09 April 2014, 06:11 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Paint looks original to me. Shame you backed out looks like a nice car.
Old 09 April 2014, 07:04 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a white bugeye view my pics 'garage'