Sponsored by:

pre-facelift mph dial overlays

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2014, 04:36 PM
maddhatteroo7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question pre-facelift mph dial overlays

Hey guys I'm about to pickup a 95 WRX import and it's still in KM/hr but want to convert it to MPH. I don't want to get a electronic conversion piece, but rather a dial overlay. I see lockwood makes a kit, but I want it to be black like the OEM style is w/green illumination, but read in mph while retaining my km info. If anyone knows where I can buy a kit like this please let me know. Thanks

Lockwood kit:

pre-face lift JDM cluster (mine)

Old 08 April 2014, 07:26 PM
katana man
Scooby Regular

i have a set of white lockwood dials also a set of white plasma dials both have heater faces also,
Old 08 April 2014, 07:26 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No such thing as "an electronic conversion piece" for an early car. The speedo is cable driven.

You need a convertor that fits in line, it also removes the 112mph limiter. Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-imp...item20e293b212

Fit that, pull your instrument cluster apart and either fit an MPH sticker, or cover the "K" with a bit of black gaffa take.

I you must insist on retaining the KMH info, as per a UK car, then it's either UK clocks, or aftermarket tat.
Old 08 April 2014, 08:37 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mickywrx
No such thing as "an electronic conversion piece" for an early car. The speedo is cable driven.

You need a convertor that fits in line, it also removes the 112mph limiter. Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-imp...item20e293b212

Fit that, pull your instrument cluster apart and either fit an MPH sticker, or cover the "K" with a bit of black gaffa take.

I you must insist on retaining the KMH info, as per a UK car, then it's either UK clocks, or aftermarket tat.
Old 08 April 2014, 08:49 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The black OEM look dial overlay does exist as I have one on my car. Unfortunately I can't help with a source as it came with the car when I bought it.

I personally prefer the overlay to a cable converter as you can keep the odometer reading in pure KM rather than mix of KM and M.

ETA: What about this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMH-TO-MPH...item3cd6f00e20

Last edited by plenty; 08 April 2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08 April 2014, 09:27 PM
marco58
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx

anotheror you could just learn the difference between the both and leave it alone not that hard and you don't have to muck about with speedo and you save money.

Last edited by marco58; 08 April 2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08 April 2014, 10:32 PM
maddhatteroo7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
The black OEM look dial overlay does exist as I have one on my car. Unfortunately I can't help with a source as it came with the car when I bought it.

I personally prefer the overlay to a cable converter as you can keep the odometer reading in pure KM rather than mix of KM and M.

ETA: What about this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMH-TO-MPH...item3cd6f00e20
This looks like a nice solution! I only need to replace the speedo anyways and still looks OEM! I'll have to give it a go and order it soon if I can find some reviews. I was going to go with the lockwood dark blue dial set until I saw this. Only thing I don't like about the lockwood kit is that the tach overylay only reads to 8k rpm while OEM is 9k rpm. I don't plan on ever revving that high obviously but I'm somewhat OCD about what is and isn't OEM appearance on my cars

Originally Posted by marco58
anotheror you could just learn the difference between the both and leave it alone not that hard and you don't have to muck about with speedo and you save money.
Oh yeah I know trust me..my current car is also a jap import and reads solely in KM, but I'm a bit lazy and sometimes forget some of the conversions when I have to drive through an area with variable speed limits plus the stupid speed cameras around them too. Just don't want to risk getting caught since I don't know how much over the speed limit will trip the cameras and get me a fine. A friend tells me just don't go over 10% of what is posted but I guess there's only one way to find out!

Trending Topics

Old 09 April 2014, 08:00 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by plenty
I'd rather have it derestricted, as there are times and places that you can do over 112MPH.
Old 10 April 2014, 09:04 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine is derestricted via a remap. So I have the best of both worlds.