phase one, or not phase one?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2001, 12:02 AM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi Tarquin

I have an STI 3, the first thing I did was the Unichip (by Powerstation) as I was a bit paranoid over the fueling. This increased the torque a lot, next was a decatt exhaust which improved things even more, with the added benefit of the burble. Since then I have had water injection fitted which doesn't make any significant power increase but gives another me an added feeling of safety, particularly on the track.

Exhaust seems to be a good starting point, but I would get your boost checked afterwards just to make sure all is ok.

Cheers
Andy
Old 04 May 2001, 12:53 AM
tarquin trousers
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers for the reply Andy.

the horrible question!!! how much are we talking? i've been quoted £282 for the down pipe, £365 for the centre and £295 for the tail...fitting comes in at £130!!!!! (T75 exhaust system)- also stage one reprogram comes in at £700!! how did you get it through the MOT without the Cat??

oooer Mr bank manager!!
Old 04 May 2001, 11:21 AM
tarquin trousers
Scooby Regular

hello!! what shall I do??

I want to 'improve' the performance of my STI IV. What should I start off with first??

Being a shallow individual and finding great pleasure in the sound of a deep gurgling exhaust, how much of it would I need to change to A, increase perfmormance and B, gurgle!!

I've got my fingers burnt with a chip upgrade to an Audi, in such it was never the same again.

restore my faith!!!
Old 04 May 2001, 01:08 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Tarquin

Being an Audi owner in need of a chip, please tell me about the problems you had with the Audi chip. Dont want to make the same mistake myself.

Jonathan
Old 04 May 2001, 01:46 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

The PE T75 system is NOT a full 3" system... it reduces to ~2.5" at the joins between sections... I know this because I have the downpipe and centre section. The Magnex centre section I fitted performs _at_least_ as well as the PE T75 sports cat entre section.

Scoobymania do a true 3" straight through system for about £500, IIRC. It has a better downpipe design to.

Oh, and I personally wouldn't recommend the Phase One... I've had one on my sti... it was, _in_my_honest_opinion_ , with the benifit of hindsight, a very bad move: problems included one engine rebuild, 3+ attempts to map the detonation out and the final straw, an intermittent fault that simply shut the engine down for a short period at random intervals... imagine that happening as you were powering around a bend. I would suggest you consider a unichip or link/motec ecu rather than a phase one.

Moray

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 04 May 2001).]
Old 04 May 2001, 02:01 PM
tarquin trousers
Scooby Regular

Thanks Moray...you've confirmed my fears!! hows it running now??

Jonathon, I had a superchips upgrade taking the bhp upto around 250. For a while I could really notice a difference in the power, alot cleaner and alot more gutsy. Nothing horrendous happened, but I was losing pressure and was charged an awful lot of money for some bloke to have his lunch in the back of my car, just to tell me a pipe had a split. It was never really the same cafter that. Don't get me wrong, the car was tops, but it cost me too much money to keep on the road...hence the Impreza, which, touch wood, hasn't cost me a bean!! Good luck!
Old 04 May 2001, 02:33 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Tarquin

Scoobysport system was about £550.00 + fitting (I think) thiough if you keep an eye on the for sale section you would probably put one together for a bit over half that. As for the MOT I got it done the day before the exhaust went on and it hasn't been on a year yet. I have kept the standard centre section so hopefully if all else fails I can put that in for the day.

Unichip was about £660.00 with boost controller.

Cheers
Andy