Im lost in this world of scooby's

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2014, 09:37 PM
Xjr1300
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im lost in this world of scooby's

Hi All,

Im new here and also to the world of subaru's , i purchased a 2004 wrx blobeye wagon a few week's ago i brought it late at night so not a good start and now im thinking ive brought a bit of a pup.
Only when i was driving the car home the 100 plus miles away from where i purchased it from did the car warm up to full operating temperature ie gearbox and diff oils, did i notice a whine coming from the rear diff only when i was coasting or feathering the throttle around 70mph or less but the moment i put the car under load the noise was gone.... Back of the throttle and the whine was back.
Anyway to cut a long story short i brought a new diff in the box genuine part i supplied the vin number and they confirmed it was the correct one for my vehicle well it was on the car for all of a day its now also whining but even more than the one it replaced.
So my question now is this... my car is the 2004 2ltr turbo wrx wagon sl the transmission code is TY754VN5AA what differential is compatible and would anyone know of where i can find one? Two diff's in a few weeks is really getting me down, hope someone can help before i lose faith in these cars altogether.

Regards
Mick

Last edited by Xjr1300; 20 March 2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 09:42 PM
Murrayf99
Scooby Regular

On a tangent, could it be a wheel bearing?
Old 20 March 2014, 09:49 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Subaru transmissions whine even more so depending on the flywheel and clutch fitted.
Old 20 March 2014, 09:53 PM
Xjr1300
Scooby Newbie

Hi murray, thanks for your reply... not a wheel bearing ive had a subaru technician in the car whilst i was driving...as i drove around he was of the same opinion as me it was diff noise, ive replaced many a wheel bearing over the last few years and get a good sense of sounds when things don't sound to clever i was right with the first diff it had had it.

I know this as it was pulled apart in front of me by a transmission company they did not supply the new diff they just fitted it so had nothing to gain in selling me one.
Old 20 March 2014, 10:04 PM
Xjr1300
Scooby Newbie

Hi 53,
I asked the technician if this was normal for subaru's to have differential whine he owns a scooby and works for our local subaru dealer, he said subaru's have gearbox whine when powering up through the gears which mine does as i had already noticed but my noise from the diff is i guess the best way to describe it would be ... Imagine flushing a toilet you know that sound you get when a porcelain systen is filling up you get that strange sound from the water rushing through the ballcock, thats the sound coming from the rear diff when you back off as if its all loose inside and nothing is mating properly.
Old 20 March 2014, 10:13 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

I had this on my classic, and it turned out I had a rear diff oil leak!How come you didn't do a u-turn on your way home and confront the seller?Or better still hear it on the test drive??
Old 20 March 2014, 10:22 PM
Xjr1300
Scooby Newbie

Hi smiffywhu, firstly to answer the test drive i couldn't get it up to speed around the town where he lived i asked him to be honest with me before i travelled the 120 miles if there was anything he had not told me he said no everything was mechanically sound.
I signed a receipt saying sold as seen driven and tested so i guess buying it at night and not taking it out and giving it what for was my own fault, when i confronted him about it he said as i knew he would it never did it when he owned it so it must have been me ragging it, people like that you cant win with.

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2014, 12:11 AM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Oh so this is your fault and you caused this within 50miles of driving her home.What a complete ****, crowbar comes to mind!!

Have you got DCCD?

Have you checked you are using a decent thick oil?

Maybe you could upload a video for us to listen to?The mechanic you mentioned should be able to figure it out...even if trial and error
Old 21 March 2014, 09:48 AM
Xjr1300
Scooby Newbie

Hi Smiffywhu, as far as im aware no DCCD i,m using 80w90 Lsd oil as recommended by subaru and scoobyclinic i know most use 75w90 fully synthetic like Castrol Syntrax lsd oil if i get the time i will try and get someone in the back with my video camera.
Old 21 March 2014, 09:53 AM
Xjr1300
Scooby Newbie

Smiffywhu, the technician mentioned something about not being shimmed correctly hence play in the gears, you would think being a genuine part this would have been shimmed correctly, i got my local garage to get it up on the ramp and drop the oil out of it it was dark grey not bad considering its only been on the vehicle 4 days now... So the colour is telling a story too so im told.

Last edited by Xjr1300; 21 March 2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 21 March 2014, 09:54 AM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

It is common for the bearings on the drop gears at the rear of the gearbox and the bearings that hold the centre diff to become a little noisy that starts with an over-run whine. Are you sure its not coming from the back of the gearbox?
Old 21 March 2014, 11:33 AM
Xjr1300
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by tjmatt
It is common for the bearings on the drop gears at the rear of the gearbox and the bearings that hold the centre diff to become a little noisy that starts with an over-run whine. Are you sure its not coming from the back of the gearbox?
Hi tjmatt,

Well the oil being near black after 4 days tells me somethings not right with diff, however your not the first person to mention to me the rear section of the gearbox having bearing problems, apparently this is also a common issue from what im told. I guess the first thing i need to find out is...is this car running the right ratio diff for the stated gearbox ie 9R ty754vn5AA and a 3.54 rear diff if these are right then i need to get the rear diff rebuilt and run it ... If the problem is there after the diff rebuild then i can look at the gearbox. So is the diff the right ratio for stated gearbox?.

Many thanks
Old 21 March 2014, 08:27 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

I can't help with those part codes but I'm leaning away from it being the diff as you've already changed it.Get a video sorted, most of us have experienced these "whinny" noises.I'm also thing gearbox but wouldn't rule out wheel bearing either until I've heard it for myself
Old 22 March 2014, 09:00 PM
Philip Allanby
Scooby Regular

Just a thought but have you got the gearbox number of the gearbox inthe car or just going what it should have in ? If the seller has changed the box it may not be mated to the diff. the number is under the intercooler near the starter motor

Phil
Old 23 March 2014, 05:23 PM
Xjr1300
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Philip Allanby
Just a thought but have you got the gearbox number of the gearbox inthe car or just going what it should have in ? If the seller has changed the box it may not be mated to the diff. the number is under the intercooler near the starter motor

Phil
Hi Phillip the gearbox is the 9R-TY754vn5AA it matches the info in the inner wing the original diff looks like it had been on the car since year Dot... It was also an absolute nightmare to get out as all the bolts and nuts look like they had never been undone in donkeys years so im guessing its the original diff. Im waiting to hear back from someone on gumtree who has a gearbox,diff,prop,and drive shafts, off of a 2005 wrx sti 2.5 he says its all sweet as a nut so waiting for a price for pallet delivery.
Old 23 March 2014, 05:28 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xjr1300
Hi Phillip the gearbox is the 9R-TY754vn5AA it matches the info in the inner wing the original diff looks like it had been on the car since year Dot... It was also an absolute nightmare to get out as all the bolts and nuts look like they had never been undone in donkeys years so im guessing its the original diff. Im waiting to hear back from someone on gumtree who has a gearbox,diff,prop,and drive shafts, off of a 2005 wrx sti 2.5 he says its all sweet as a nut so waiting for a price for pallet delivery.
Before you buy off gumtree drop mattybr5 on here a p.m. he may have a gearbox and diff be very careful when buying anything off gumtree ...
Old 23 March 2014, 05:37 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

All 4 of my Imprezas have had a whiney gearbox/diff. All carried on fine without any problems. Are you sure there is actually a problem?
Old 23 March 2014, 05:55 PM
Xjr1300
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75
Before you buy off gumtree drop mattybr5 on here a p.m. he may have a gearbox and diff be very careful when buying anything off gumtree ...
Hi Dirk Diggler75,thanks for the heads up i will see if i can track him down