Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

UK Terzo Project

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2013, 12:03 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK Terzo Project

I have owned my Scoob for 7 years now and have had a project on Surrey Scoobies, so thought I would start one up on here, so I have copied and pasted onto this forum

Engine from the beggining

Tent setup for the long road ahead.

Engine coming out..

the reason for the engine build..

Then came the goodies... And project bankrupt began

Forged P1 engine, wiseco pistons, Manley forged conrods, forged billet crank.
Cometec head gasket (tripple layer)
Sti 3 Heads
ARP Head studs
BC Titanium Valve sprins & Alliminium retainers
Prodrive 3 port boost solenoid
Front mount intercooler
Sti Strut brace
Carbon altonator and air con covbers
8000k Hid's
Facelift front bumper
18" Kato rims
Prodrive WR spoiler
STI mudflaps
4 pot front brakes
Braided lines
Drilled and Groved discs
Apexi Springs
Powdercoated Inlet manifold
VF28 Turbo
Tien bonnet lifters
3" system turbo back
440cc injectors
Simtec Ecu
Kenwood doble din screen With Nav and bluetooth hands free
Alpine digital stack 4 channel amp
Rockford forsgate digital mono block amp
Rockford 12" Titaniam dual voice coil exabition sub (1000 w RMS)
PowerAcustic tweaters
Alpine type R components
O gauge wiring kit
version 4 centre console to fit the double din screen
Engine remote start and pager alarm with built in turbo timer
Centre console to hold gauges (boost, oil temp and oil pressure)
STI 5 bonnet scoop..
And many more to come..

Fitted engine in by myself etc I work in IT so this was all new to me, had never taken a engine apart before and never really did much work on cars before so all knowledge was from Surrey Scoobies.

Fitted new grill of a my99, new face for clocks and fabricated some brackets and fitted number plate Evo style.
Clock face

One of the brackets i fabricated...

Fitted to fog light cover...

Fitted to car..

Number plate and grill fitted, and old number plate cut off...

purchased a Prodrive pipe off a WR1 for a bargin....

STI7 Seats

Well after not that long fitting the Subaru 4 pots, i decided that i needed a lot more stopping power so i brought myself a set of these...

genuine P1 splitter

Brakes are fitted as well as my prodrive wheels..

Car has been off the road for a little while now as have been stacking to splash out....
So far i have purchased a JDM 5speed box with uk 5th gear, also brought the rear diff so match, wheels have gone in with KevSti on here for a full fefurb!! Also have purchased a rear whiteline 24mm anti roll bar and ali drop links... And also will be placing a deposit on a TD05 18g over the weekend...
Pics to follow as of when parts arrive and come back :-) Obviously my project is nowhere near as interesting as the others.... I must be in the wrong trade as this hobby be damn expensive!!
Wheels back and tyres are on..

Also brought Gearbox (which came with lightweight flywheel) and rear diff...

Got the old gearbox out and the new one in place, just need to bolt it up..

lil pic of the box before i placed it in...

Where's the Wally LOL?????????????????

got the exhaust manifold and turbo in, with the braided turbo line..
Braided turbo line

Exhaust manifold

Vf28 beside a TD05 18g

Could not really take much photos when all was in as it was raining..

I also have the rear diff ready and waiting to go in, just waiting on new seals to come so i can replace them.
Rear anti roll bar is partly in, just have to either source a a new bracket or attempt to drill out the broken bolt.
I also have some new gauges waiting to replace my old cheap gauges..
Prosport Stepper gauges...

Also brought a DIY flocking kit and i am going to attempt to flock all the chavy blue bits in my car... That should be fun :confused2::whistle:
Centre pod holder flocked..

My nice white hoses

Fitted 550cc injectors today, put rear seats back in as wanted to make sure the walbro primed before it did so..
Fitted the rear drive shafts now, the driver side one clicks into place without a circlip.... Feels the same as the left side as it clicks into place.. So fingers crossed on that..
Also fitted a Sti steering wheel and fitted the exhaust... So coming along.. Also ordered a brand new radiator and the water feed pipes for the Turbo thanks to CJ on south east scoobies....
Even had a little time to add a little fine detail to the wheels, i know nobody like the blue lip on the wheel but i wanted to be a little different..

£170 order from Opie oils!!!

Fitted all the white pipes which are now black fitted the turbo water pipe, Rad with both rad fans, also fitted all the wiring for the 3 new Prosport gauges, made sure that i hid as much of the wiring as possible, with the help of my dad... All wires were soldered and heat shrunk.. Fitted white boost pipes as well. The turbo down pipe is in place just needs to be secured.
All that is left is to fit the actual dials in the pods, fill gearbox and diff up, fill engine and anti freeze and fit the intercooler pipes then ready to start the old boy, fingers crossed!!!
Little pic of the engine bay..

Prosport gauges fitted and home made flocked bits also fitted..
Little video below.. :-)

P1 Splitter fitted just need to get the front bumper and splitter re sprayed

Should be done within a day or 2 then just need to see if i can get Simon to pick up and map for me..
Ow and turn the Anti lag on of course..
Got him back with 351.1bhp which i was very happy with, Simon was not able to road map it as it had no MOT or Tax at the time so i got that done and guess what happened a day after??? Yep i broke my gearbox, second gear syncro went.. Slave cylinder went and causing me to break the second gear syncro, so managed to get my misses to drop me to Dans the next day and got a slave cylinder off him.. But now with this issue of not having a second gear there was no point me going to see Simon for the road map, so waited till another five speed come up. Then after i had got it my misses decided to surprise me with a complete 6 speed setup, including R180 diff shafts and rear brembo setup.. VERY happy bunny
Managed to fit it all last Sunday but noticed i had a few issues, my downpipe was hitting the gearbox craddle and i had a water leak So went to see Dan and John and they sorted it all out with just mne turning up out of the blue, which i really appreciated. So that was all sorted, managed to sort out my passenger window issue also which turned out to just be a bent Pin on the switch.
So now all that was needed was the fine tune by Simon, so went down there yesterday and he has worked his magic and sorted the Kangarooing and set the launch control for me... Which i am over the moon about..
Power is really nice but want more now that i have the 6 speed box looking for a MD321T, also went to Canada Coach works to get a estimate on my front bumper and then all i need is to get rid of the front lights and either go for Morettes or Crystal.. So all coming together now...

The present from my lovely misses..

Present unwrapped

Mates who come round to watch lol

Old box beside the new

Drive chain completly out

Rear hubs removed

Me and my mate dealing with the final bits

Little update, nearly sold the car a couple of weeks ago as didnt know if i could afford to keep it as was moving in with my new misses. But she did not let me sell up and offered to sell her own to help us, but we decided in the end to keep both and now i have started tuning her 2.5 Focus st Turbo... Well i suppose i should say Volvo...
Well i have now sourced a MD321S Billet which is in my bedroom.. :-)

Also brought some Harnesses and a Harness Bar which is on its way.. No they are not my seats... Wish they was though

Have also brought a set of STI pedals..

Just need a turbo inlet pipe and possibily exhaust manifold, but to be fair i dont think i will as funds are a bit on the low side.
Also have a set of Crystal headlights that i will be picking up at some point when i actually have a chance too.
Also removed black paint from rear Brembo calipers..

Well going to have to sort out the turbo a lot sooner than I expected as think my tdo5 18g has lost the will to live.. screams like a supercharger.. so just need to source a 76mm turbo pipe..
here are the goodies I have waiting to go on so far

Old 29 August 2013, 12:26 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

fair playing doing so much yourself, alot of work gone into it.
Old 29 August 2013, 04:55 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, obviously nothing compared to any of the other projects
Old 01 September 2013, 10:52 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Fitted crystal lights today.. car looks sooooooo much better I feel. Really happy with them.

Also fitted the rear spacers but one of them is 114.3 pattern so have to send them back

before

Spacer fitted..

After

Old 01 September 2013, 11:16 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

The proper lamps do look so much better

Do wish you kept those wheels gold
Old 01 September 2013, 11:25 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate.

Wanted something different, and love white..
Old 02 September 2013, 04:49 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking great Tyler as I said before,you should be very happy with S,although can be little laggier than T on non AVCS heads,how much laggier you will see and good luck with the rest of the project and as above Riidaa said,much better with crystal lamps

Jura
Old 02 September 2013, 08:15 AM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Those original lights as said already look much better, looking good, thinking the same about the wheels but white looks good too
Old 02 September 2013, 10:38 AM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Looking great Tyler as I said before,you should be very happy with S,although can be little laggier than T on non AVCS heads,how much laggier you will see and good luck with the rest of the project and as above Riidaa said,much better with crystal lamps

Jura
I hope so Jura, i am a little worried with the lag but either way its supposed to be a good turbo, and should be better than the TD05 18g..

Just trying to source a 76mm turbo inlet pipe in red, dont really want to spend £300 on one..

Originally Posted by chrispy200+
Those original lights as said already look much better, looking good, thinking the same about the wheels but white looks good too
Cheers bud, i love the lights, the old lights i put on in my younger days as a silly little boy. All i wanted them for was the fish i light, no other reason..

As for the wheels i wanted something a little different, and i really do love white.
Old 05 September 2013, 06:44 PM
daiski
Scooby Regular

sweet ride matey ,
where could i get a car tent like that dude?
Old 05 September 2013, 06:52 PM
RoyPinhey
Scooby Regular

Good project dude
Old 05 September 2013, 08:30 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys... few more bits to go.

the tent is actually just a 8 birth tent without the inner parts bud. So any camping shop like millets or field and treck will do the job
Old 10 September 2013, 10:36 AM
daiski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tyler 1
Cheers guys... few more bits to go.

the tent is actually just a 8 birth tent without the inner parts bud. So any camping shop like millets or field and treck will do the job

excellent so simple yet i didnt think about a tent lol
looks like im going shopping
Old 25 September 2013, 12:25 AM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Little bit more done. Manifold fitted and 3" exhaust fitted..

Just about fitted in the company car.......

Now car has been washed and waxed and under the cover waiting for some bits from RCM and all new couplers for intercooler.

really hope the end is near.. feels like im fighting a loosing battle.
Old 25 September 2013, 06:34 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Great project
Well wrote and photos too

Respect to you for DIY too
Old 25 September 2013, 06:46 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Tyler why didn't you heat wrap the manifold when it was off the car?.SJ.
Old 25 September 2013, 07:12 AM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Great project
Well wrote and photos too

Respect to you for DIY too
Thank you bud, it has been a scary road. But this is really the first car I have taken apart. Think I can picture every part including in the engine bay if I shut my eyes. How sad is that. Spend more time under the car than driving

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Tyler why didn't you heat wrap the manifold when it was off the car?.SJ.
Sj I am scared of heat wrap as a few years ago my engine bay caught a light, as the oil feed to the turbo had a little leak, and dripped on the wrap. Luckily it was snowing so as I saw the flames coming out of the scoop I pulled over and was throwing snow in there.
Old 25 September 2013, 09:23 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tyler 1

Sj I am scared of heat wrap as a few years ago my engine bay caught a light, as the oil feed to the turbo had a little leak, and dripped on the wrap. Luckily it was snowing so as I saw the flames coming out of the scoop I pulled over and was throwing snow in there.

Yes T I understand you and know the affect something like that can have,but stainless steel manifolds get very hot and the wrapping would allow you to keep the heat where it should be in the pipe work to aid spool up and let the gases escape out the exhaust more freely.SJ.
Old 25 September 2013, 09:33 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

But wrapping cheap crappy stainless manifolds will help them crack. 304 was never designed for turbo cars, a turbo car can exceed the heat range of 304 and makes it brittle Although it looks nice it wont last long thats for sure!
Old 25 September 2013, 11:04 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

I hear you but still if I was going to remove the standard cast manifold and change it for a stainless one u would still wrap for the improved thermal properties.SJ
Old 25 September 2013, 11:48 AM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Yes T I understand you and know the affect something like that can have,but stainless steel manifolds get very hot and the wrapping would allow you to keep the heat where it should be in the pipe work to aid spool up and let the gases escape out the exhaust more freely.SJ.
Thanks sj. Appreciate the advice. How much am I looking for some wraps?

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
But wrapping cheap crappy stainless manifolds will help them crack. 304 was never designed for turbo cars, a turbo car can exceed the heat range of 304 and makes it brittle Although it looks nice it wont last long thats for sure!
Would love to have a decent manifold but I dont have 1k to spend on a decent one. Hence the reason for me doing everything to the car myself
Old 25 September 2013, 12:49 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Tyler dei heat wrap is the best it was Sir Harvey that done numerous back to back test with inferior heat wraps and dei wrap always came out as the best.it's not cheap but very good quality,I dont do cheap so cannot recommend you an inferior product.I'm sure Alyn from AS performance could do you a very good deal on some.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 25 September 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 25 September 2013, 01:20 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

As above, Dei is where it is at, and any manifold made of 304 stainless will crack, you need 321 titanium steel or inconel.

I have a 321 Titanium steel manifold, and not only will it not crack, it made significantly more power than the RCM/GT/Japspeed headers
Old 25 September 2013, 01:31 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

As above, Dei is where it is at, and any manifold made of 304 stainless will crack, you need 321 titanium steel or inconel.

I have a 321 Titanium steel manifold, and not only will it not crack, it made significantly more power than the RCM/GT/Japspeed headers
What manifold have you got is it the killer b one? because they are one of the few companies that make there manifolds out of the far superior 321 steel.SJ.
Old 25 September 2013, 01:39 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Yes it is a killer b one, one of if not the first fitted in the uk i believe.

Its more money, but it was worth every penny. It is made extremely well, the material and workmanship is top quality,

and the fact it is one of the few manifolds with a proper design, it isnt just a copy of an old design, it has actual R+D done on it and it really shows.

The proof is in the pudding so to speak, I made 35hp extra on the 99ron map after 4 years and 20+k miles of hard abuse. By just fitting a decent manifold
Old 25 September 2013, 01:40 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Tyler dei heat wrap is the best it was Sir Harvey that done numerous back to back test with inferior heat wraps and dei wrap always came out as the best.it's not cheap but very good quality,I dont do cheap so cannot recommend you an inferior product.I'm sure Alyn from AS performance could do you a very good deal on some.SJ.
Cheers sj. Seriously appreciated.

What is the make of ya mani bud, and what sort of loan would I need to purchase ? Lol...
Old 25 September 2013, 01:42 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Yes it is a killer b one, one of if not the first fitted in the uk i believe.

Its more money, but it was worth every penny. It is made extremely well, the material and workmanship is top quality,

and the fact it is one of the few manifolds with a proper design, it isnt just a copy of an old design, it has actual R+D done on it and it really shows.

The proof is in the pudding so to speak, I made 35hp extra on the 99ron map after 4 years and 20+k miles of hard abuse. By just fitting a decent manifold
Wow!!!! Any pictures or a web site to look at
Old 25 September 2013, 01:43 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/Header.htm

now i have had it fitted it is something that could be done DIY, engine tuner did the work for me and was a little trial and error in the fitting as no one had seen one of these before!

It is worth the money all day long though, the way it picks up and takes off is something akin to a stabbed rat now, it has really helped the spool and pick up along with giving us the extra power
Old 25 September 2013, 02:02 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Good stuff mate.i was looking at the killer b manifold but at the time there was not much feedback about them so i did not want to take the plunge,seems like I should of,35 extra bhp is nothing to be sniffed at just from a manifold change that's a superb result.anyway I'm not going to take over Tyler's project thread,sorry Tyler.SJ.
Old 25 September 2013, 02:04 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Any questions just drop me a message and i will help where i can

Quick Reply: UK Terzo Project