Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Gibraltar project - The conclusion

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2012, 02:05 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gibraltar project - The conclusion

Precis so far..

Albert, a Gib domicile, wanted his track day car updated.
It was shipped to us via Santander. We built a 2.1 stroker with RCM twisted kit and GT35 billet turbo, Alcatek ECU with Toucan, Twin plate clutch, Perrin front mount etc.

Engine Out

Build

Engine in

Having run the car in, we set it up with the excellent Alcatek and Toucan set up, running 530 bhp peak on V Power fuel. It has the full kit of sensors, including the closed loop wideband. The car drives perfectly at all power settings and idles smoothly.

Having got the car all ready, We arranged for Albert to come over to test it on track.
He flew in on Thursday evening and I picked him up from Exeter airport in a torrential rainstorm. I delivered him to his Hotel, a former manor house which at least I knew to be top notch.
On Friday morning we went and picked him and gave him the low down on his car and the grand tour. Him and Martyn dissappeared out for the road test. All was well, which is always nice to hear from the customers' lips. When carrying out this sort of work, you have to second guess quite often spec wise, and we were looking for something really specific.
The test session was booked at Llandow, being the best option for the date.
It rained all bloody day. I remarked that it was the wettest I'd ever been outside of a shower cubicle. Once we'd got through the briefing, delivered by a stand up comic of Welsh origin, I took the first session, Martyn checking specifics with the lap top.

I say lap top, although the Toucan says it all very well. The live data (watched by Martyn) is brilliant, and the tell tales give you the opportunity to go all over it again afterwards.
The Llandow surface is decently grippy in the wet, and the Toyo 888's were working well.
Having satisfied myself that it was good to go, we handed over to Albert for the first of the sessions. Martyn sat in as co pilot, running him through the switchable options possible while out on track. He ran the car at 1 bar, 1.5 and 2 bar settings, all going just fine.
Fifty or so laps later, we declared a result!
Albert is delighted with it, and therefore, so were we.

I was going to take pictures, but I ended up doing it from inside the track office due to the sheets of rain outside.

All in all the day went just fine, even the fry ups in the cafe..

We finished up bedraggled, me apologising for the whole nation, weather wise..

As you see, Martyn is bearing up well, and Albert is just about bearing it..

Albert would normally go to places like Jerez, or Ascari, which as you can see, isn't a patch on Llandow.

For comparison, Llandow..

Ascari..

Be honest now, why would you choose to have a cool dip in the pool between track sessions?

I pity them out there, I really do!

Anyway, despite the foul conditions, my customer is as happy as Larry, and flew out this morning to await delivery of the car in a couple of weeks.

I can safely say we enjoyed this project very much, and we're looking forward to the next ones!

Last edited by Alan Jeffery; 25 November 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 25 November 2012, 04:36 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some more pics from the day.

Last edited by MartynJ; 25 November 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 25 November 2012, 08:45 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

Great job there boys
Old 26 November 2012, 03:11 PM
derekboy71
Scooby Newbie

Just love projects like these.
I registered on this forum to comment. I bet the client was happy?
Old 26 November 2012, 06:26 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by derekboy71
Just love projects like these.
I registered on this forum to comment. I bet the client was happy?
He certainly seemed so, in spite of the worst weather he'd ever driven in!