Classic Sti 2.1 Stroker Wagon ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2012, 01:46 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Sti 2.1 Stroker Wagon ?

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying this isnt a definate,but would like your imput in my thoughts for the future of my car

It currently is a 1999 V5 sti Wagon in 51E white ( Fastest colour)
and i have the oppotunity to buy a fully run in 2.1 stroker built by one of the best off here
It currently runs a MD321T billet (which is sold) and was a week away from winding up the boost after nearly 2.5k of running in miles/oil changes etc
Unfortunatly the car suffered an accident with a lamp post and the lamp post won !!

My Wagon is already in a mild state of tune with a full decat and kn induction,plus exedy clutch,fidanza fly but over the last few months i have bought FMIC,Lateral headers,lateral up pipe,fuel lab press reg,3 port,moddifed fog cover to fit cold air feed for induction kit

So.........

1) If i buy and fit this Stroker engine,will it run ok with my standard vf28,until i can save up for a decent turbo?

2) Would my 5 speed be ok until i get a 6 speed transmission fitted?

3) i also have bought a jdm "j2" EcuTek ecu for my car,will this run the high boost if/when i fit the stroker/turbo or would i need Simtek/Alcatek or Syvecs?

4) Apart from the cost of the engine,what sort of costs am i looking at to get this idea on the road?

Hope you can shed a light on some/all of what i have posted or indeed shed light on things ive never even thought about

Thanks in advance

Neil
Old 25 October 2012, 02:04 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Neil

Can say from our personal experience MD321T and 2.1L is marriage from heaven,great spool on 2.1 and great top end too

Here is some answers on your questions,which can help or no,depends how you take this:

1) If you want use your current turbo on 2.1,yes you can use,but be prepared will spool sooner than as yours previous 2.0L

2) 5 speed will be OK for now,but depends on the future turbo I would say,in our case we are made on MDX321T and 2.1L with PPG 490bhp/480lb-ft on 20% meth and 452bhp/440lb-ft on the V-power alone

3) Not sure what is limit on the older ECU,but think you will be better with SimTek or Syvecs,I can only recommend Syvecs

4) Not sure what heads are bolted on the 2.1L which you are looking,if you are planning run Syvecs,you will be OK to run any heads(this means any New age AVCS heads or classic),if you are will need use your heads you are looking for new Head Gasket set,skimmed your heads etc.

All depends where this will be done and I would ask few tuners about the pricing on this and you will see what is best option.

I would speak in your area with Rich@FB Tuning or Zen Performance,APi and others

Jura
Old 25 October 2012, 02:34 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

I was kinda hoping you would reply Jura!! You seem the oracle of all wagon/stroker running questions lol
The 2.1 I'm interested in has v3 heads,but as you know won't fit my manifold as hole patterns are different, that's where I come in, I work as a cnc machinist so machining some kind of ally blocks to alter hole patern is one option
Cutting and re welding is a last option
What sort/size of injectors do you use Jura?
Also,what other turbo options work well on 2.1's ? Rotated? GT30/35 ?

Neil
Old 25 October 2012, 02:55 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi Neil

V3 heads are OK,but as you are said won't fit your manifold what can be task,but if you are good with CNC this is just big plus,you will see how you get on,but V6 STi heads will be mine choice on yours

We are run 840cc injectors,which has been OK at this sort of power,you can speak to the Mark@Lateral Performance about the Re-flowing the injectors,which can be cheaper option

Depends on power what you are planning to run,but MD321T or MD321V,SC42 or SC46 will work nicely on 2.1L.

Rotated turbo on 2.1L,depends on the spec of the 2.1L,what rods are used,what ARP headstuds are used and what boost you are planning to run and not as last,is Open Deck Block or Semi-Closed Deck or Closed Deck Block etc.

Jura
Old 26 October 2012, 01:11 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura, I will try to get the spec of the engine build and let you know
I do know its running on re flowed 440's out to 800 ,but know as of yet nothing of engine internals
Also when I come to swop engines,what's the going rate for a 99' sti full engine,less turbo?
As I haven't a clue on price
What clutch do u run on yours Jura ?
Thanks
Neil
Old 26 October 2012, 01:21 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi Neil

Just later on post the full spec and really OBD(Open Deck Block) is not disadvantage to have if you are looking for 500bhp(in our case our 2.1 OBD has been build for 500bhp but can be pushed up to 550bhp)

Can't comment on the 99 STi engine price,really have look here at the For sale section and hope so,someone will help you out with this

We are running Exedy Twin Pate,b1tch in the traffic,but awesome on the track or drag strip,but for your needs you can go down the road of the ACT or AP Organic Clutch,all depends on what car will be used

Jura
Old 26 October 2012, 01:32 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

It would be my every day car Jura ,and my intension to do the Pod now and then
Trackdays are good for me to watch the good drivers that can afford to repair them lol
Not for me ,whizzing around a track with other petrolheads
I was thinking of keeping it around the 450 mark , as reading on here,that is plenty for a classic !

Neil
Old 26 October 2012, 01:48 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi Neil

Probably best will be go down the road with MDX321T or SC42/46 if car will be used daily,all those turbo will be great on 2.1L like on the track or road.450bhp will be great to have and in Classic must be just awesome

Just don't forget to upgrade brakes,suspension etc.this must be upgraded,New age Brembo with Performance Friction disc and pads and you have nice setup which will be good like on the track or B-roads

You will see,but would recommend you go at least one track days and try car there,you don't need try go fastest just enjoy track day

Jura
Old 26 October 2012, 01:53 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

I have got some newly refurbed front Black Brembos with AP330 grooved discs with Pagid Black RS424 pads for a very good price , they are going on the wagon 2moro !
Not quite sure on what the classic chassis would suit in regards to suspension,BC's Tein??
Old 26 October 2012, 02:07 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Good upgrade of the brakes.About the suspension not sure there,we are running HSD HR which are firmer than BC etc.

If you wagon will be daily driver car would have look for KYB AGX or Bilstein which seems are more suited for daily car than coilovers,I would go down the line with ARB's(22mm Front and 24mm Rear) and solid drooplinks

Jura
Old 22 November 2012, 12:06 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Hello
I will have shortly some ver 5 sti heads if that is of any help ?
Also have on my for sale thread some piper gpa 252 cams not sure if that would be of interest but pm me and I can let you know what else I have.
Cheers Kris