Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Project Sc00byurabus

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2012, 10:22 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project Sc00byurabus

Hi Folks.....been interested to view other peoples projects on here - some excellent 'Guides' and 'How to's' which have helped me kick start my trackday project

Current Spec;

MY2000 GC8 2000 Turbo

K&N Panel filter
Pulstar Plugs
Firestorm silencer and Centre Decat section
Goodridge braided hoses

Air con removed

And 117K on the clock

Ran her for 4yrs, then started to get more and more expensive to run, had to get something cheaper as daily drive (Alfa 156 JTS..not the same but still put a smile on my face ) but couldn't bring myself to sell, so decide to keep and turn into a weekend track toy.

Interior stripped out;

Currently chipping away the sound deadening - flamming hate the stuff, but all about the weight saving!

Bought Cobra Monaco bucket seat which I'll be fitting shortly along with 4-point harness.

Current wish list comprises

Suspensionwise;
ALK
22mm Front ARB
24mm Rear ARB
Uprated droplinks
Coilovers
Remove ABS

Engine -(due to mileage leaving fairly standard until I can get funds together for a closed deck rebuild...).
Walbro 255 lph pump
STI TMIC
Decat down-pipe
Resonator Delete

Interior
Strip out Airbag
Plaggy Windows

More updates to follow....

Last edited by Sc00byurabus; 08 March 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 20 March 2012, 08:40 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

Quick update after bit more work last weekend...

Before I took the car off road, suspected that I had a sticky piston on the O/S/F caliper...managed to warp a previous set of discs after less than 10K miles, but even after they were replaced, suffered real harsh vibration through steering when braking even lightly.

As car's been garaged for around 15mths now, all four discs are now properly rusted up. I was going to try refurbing the 4 pots myself but when I saw how corroded they were, plus ball ache and time trying to free-off and remove pistons, I thought I'd be better off spending a bit cash and buying a set of 'copy' calipers from Godspeed (cheers to Ben for his help!) which arrived the other week, along with a full set of their 6-Grooved discs. Pad wise, I'll be running Mintex M1155 on the front and M1144 on the rears.

So at the weekend set about stripping front units -as I suspected, loads of wire bruhing and shed loads of WD40 required to get everything off...

Old Discs & pads went straight in the bin, and calipers look like they should go the same way..

Made sure the hub was clean with wire wool as having spoken to Ben, it's possible that this can contribute to vibration I was experiencing.

Also removed the dust shield - as car is going to be used on track only, want as much cooling to front discs as possible.

N/S Done - nice and shiney!!

O/S/F was easier to strip, but sure enough, one of the piston's was seized solid causing the inside pad to wear at an angle - so much so couldn't get pin out!

Just got the rears to do now, but as single pot this will be easier to strip if required.

Also arrived in the post tonight set of Whiteline Droplinks (cheers to 'Jayallen')...bargain!

Old 23 March 2012, 03:14 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking goo mate keep it up
Old 24 March 2012, 07:16 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaks-STI
looking goo mate keep it up

Cheers m8!!
Old 24 March 2012, 07:31 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

Bit peeved off today - been waiting for ages to fit my Cobra Monaco bucket seat (mounted to Cobra's own custom Subaru seat runner) but managed to give away the seat bolts when I flogged the interior on ebay (DOH!) Thankfully 'Jayallen' sorted me out some replacements when he sent me droplinks, and as sun was out today, thought I'd get this bolted in....

What should have been a straight forward less than 5 min job, turned our to be a right faff. Farted around trying to get holes lined up with factory locations, but couldnt get rear bolt on the transmission tunnel anywhere near where it needed to be - then I noticed that one of the spot welds had failed so just as well I didn't fit it in the end...

So had to strip it all down, and come Monday it's being sent back to Demon Tweeks for a replacement.

Just hope the next one fit's properly this time!
Old 27 March 2012, 12:09 AM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

looking good mate, were can i get a set of them brakes ?
Old 27 March 2012, 07:47 AM
kirstybumx3
Scooby Regular

Looks good mate, where about are you from in the west midlands?
Old 11 April 2012, 09:04 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

Been tied up working on the Alfa past few weekends getting ready for dredded MOT so not done much on Scooby other than chip away at the sound deadening.

Still waiting for replacement seat runner - demon tweeks sent replacement but passenger side instead of drivers, so went straight back - been told another week...!

BUT did have an early birthday prezzie arrive today though!

Car is currently running TSL Firestorm 5" Japcut with 2.5" decat centre section...certainly wakes the neighbours up when I turn her over every few weeks and sounds glorious however, despite passing several MOTs and never having any trouble from the plod - I've been reliably informed that I'm guaranteed to fail the noise limits of most of the tracks I'm wanting to attend - namely Donny, Silverstone, Rockingham and Cadwell.

So after several weeks research came across the Cobra Sport offering - 3" bore for max flow, but with resonator section rated at 83dB!!! Couldn't stretch to decat downpipe just yet, and know this will raise noise a bit higher, but with plan on Turbo upgrade this should suit my setup for a while!!

So if anyone wants my TSL back box and centre pipe, PM me an offer - pics to follow shortly but only on car for 14mths.
Old 11 April 2012, 09:06 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dean_1991
looking good mate, were can i get a set of them brakes ?

See below -really knowledgeable and quick delivery

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/

Old 18 April 2012, 08:36 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

New Cobra system fitted at the weekend - done done in less than 1hr...first time ever changing an exhaust and wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be.

Old and New

New Cobra in place

Whilst rear end was jacked up took opportunity to fit rear droplinks - less than 10min job. Rear anti-roll bar is seriously corroded so think I'll be investing in 24mm Whiteline jobbie shortly.

New seat runner arrived (right side this time!!), so also got my Monaco bucket seat fitted - just need harness and eye bolts now.

Removed bit more trim, number plates and foglamps - liking the bare neked front end look ;

Ordered 290LPH pump from HRC Performance (cheers for advice Rob!) which should help stave off fueling issues, until I fit a Swirl Pot fit. Engine bay could do with some TLC - sure there more weight savings to be had. Already removed aircon pump, but resonator delete and lightweight pulleys will follow shortly.

Next on the to-do list is full brake bleed, fluid change and order tyres - thinking Maxsport RB5 as cheap but good performers from the reviews I've read.
Old 28 May 2014, 08:33 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

Been a long while since last posted on here-still good to see others projects....although mines very tame compared to some with far deeper pockets than me!

Despite being sat for nearly 2yrs she started and flew thru MOT last winter, and been tinkering past few months:

Fitted second bucket seat & harnesses
Replaced steering wheel for smaller outlaw jobbie and HKB boss

Got gauges wired in

Uprated fuel pump & to NGK plugs to PFR7B

So about two weeks before first trackday thought I'd give her once over. Had noticed on mot that sump was looking a bit worse for wear, so started to wire brush it when big chunk of sump fell off and proceeded to empty itself onto the drive.

Luckily liquid metal worked a treat and appears to be holding!

So first trackday was on 24th April at mallory park with javelin....highly recommended and really well organised - cracking little track and really impressed how good my cheapo Maxsport rb5 performed, especially round Gerard's and devils elbow...even a bit of three wheel action

Managed to squeeze in a 59 sec lap which was chuffed with given first visit to mallory.

However got a few further mods to do before next outing - mainly cambelt change and got following goodies to fit:

...won't leave it two years for next post tho! ;o)

Last edited by Sc00byurabus; 28 May 2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Pic update
Old 07 June 2014, 03:41 PM
Scooby_drew
Scooby Regular

Looking good, well done so far !

How's the cobra exhaust nose wise? I'm in the same boat as you are, my car is just too loud for some tracks. Any vids/sounds of the exhaust?

Old 08 June 2014, 06:25 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_drew
Looking good, well done so far !

How's the cobra exhaust nose wise? I'm in the same boat as you are, my car is just too loud for some tracks. Any vids/sounds of the exhaust?

Not got any video - will post when next fire her up but Tested at mallory and at 5500rpm 45 deg (std static test) came out at 91 db.....I've still got catted down pipe so if your running completely cat free expect 2-3 dB higher.
Old 08 June 2014, 07:17 PM
B11rrf
Scooby Newbie

Nice! I'm working on the same sort of project at the moment. When you removed the airbag did you remove the control unit too? I want to remove the whole lot, wiring too, but don't really want an airbag light on as it'll be an mot fail. Any tips? Cheers.
Old 08 June 2014, 08:31 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

Yes I removed whole lot (had fun setting them off too !! lol ) need a 3k ohm resistor fitting to yellow harness connector in steering wheel...should do the job. Try maplins - less than a quid!

Last edited by Sc00byurabus; 08 June 2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08 June 2014, 08:44 PM
B11rrf
Scooby Newbie

Ah great thanks. Do you know if taking the lot out including all sensors, control box, wiring and bags would bring the light on or not trigger it as there is not circuitry there? Thanks.
Old 08 June 2014, 09:02 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B11rrf
Ah great thanks. Do you know if taking the lot out including all sensors, control box, wiring and bags would bring the light on or not trigger it as there is not circuitry there? Thanks.
Sorry mate not sure bout that... is yours a classic? I've tried looking for a wiring diagram solely for the srs system , damned if I can find one tho. Could always take bulb out if all else fails?!
Old 08 June 2014, 09:06 PM
B11rrf
Scooby Newbie

Yea I've been trying to find diagrams too. Yea it's a 2000, turbo 2000. Off the road at the mo while I prep it for track use. If all else fails I'll have to take the bulb out as you say.
Old 08 June 2014, 09:38 PM
Sc00byurabus
Scooby Regular

... Be interested to see your build mate? Mines purely a weekend a Toy and unlike a lot of the other builds on here I'm not after huge bhp - I was keeping up with '400bhp' civics & m3's on twisties at mallory - money can't buy you skills - just go faster in a straight line... lol

Last edited by Sc00byurabus; 08 June 2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08 June 2014, 09:55 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

My blobeye project

https://www.scoobynet.com/showthread.php?t=972968
Old 08 June 2014, 10:19 PM
B11rrf
Scooby Newbie

I'll put some pics up but first, how the hell do you do it? Sorry for being a little dull but I'm new to this site so havnt mastered it yet. Nice blob! That's what I would have gone for if I wasn't tracking it. So I thought if I bought an older one I would actually strip it! The blob was too new and shiny for that.