Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

1995 JDM White Classic (Search For 400/400)PicHeavy

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2011, 03:19 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1995 JDM White Classic (Search For 400/400)PicHeavy

Well having previously had a silver wrx witch i part ex'd with "Adge" of here Top man cant fault him at all.

I got this in return:

1995 WRX JDM impreza in white.imported 2003. rolling shell with everything minus engine and seat's (Witch i have in the pipeline already)

Shell is really clean to be honest,few storage mark's and bit of rust near rear passenger light. Otherwise she's a good solid shell

Started off by giving her a clean and a good old poke around:

Well it's me birthday today so i thought i might treat myself. so spent a day working on the new scoob.

Gave the engine bay a quick clean..not bad considering i was totally out of degreaser and any proper cleaning equipment. toothbrush and power washed my way round the engine bay.Got all electrical,hoses,lines coverd and taped up before hand to make sure i got as little water ingress as possible.

Will get it done properly soon but it's a start.

Then decided to clean the interior as best i could so polished, hooverd, shampood ,scrubed as much i could of the carpets and dash. Then cleaned up all the door shuts. starting to get there.Then fitted my STI rear light's looking sexy lol.

Litle bit of bodywork to do that im not happy with. as rest of the car is so clean its a shame that these little patches look awful. So will get someone out to sort that.

the removed the rear calipers ready to be stripped down and rebuilt with new seal's. Going to try this one myself,only way to learn to be honest.yet if i cant do it or feel i ballsed it up. ill get it sorted.

Next job is to remove rear arb and exhaust hanger's,towing eye's etc and clean them up.paint them and put back on. Then onto underealing the arches,then cover with a coat of hammerite white smooth.

Got part's i need to source that i am working my way through slowly. Just need to do the job's that cost nothing at the moment.

Alloy's i am after are similar to these 2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-SUBARU-...item45fc1dc8c9

Or these in 17's:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-18-SUBAR...item519a0df9a4

Tein coilover's,forged engine,tdo5 18g,44o's,fmic,remap,brembos, whitelinegoodies,carbon bit's here and there,sti interior,gauges. Thats the general plan of thing's i well used route but its a good one.
Old 01 August 2011, 04:41 PM
CRonson7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a nice clean shell mate good look with the project, if it was my choice id go for the 2nd set of wheels in 17" , if you ever fancy selling the wind deflectors aswell just drop me a PM
Old 01 August 2011, 04:48 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

She is very clean mate,apart from the issues highlighted she's extremely good for her age.

That's the plan mate to get them in 17's. had 18's on the silver one and it was just to big,ruined handling.

Ill be keeping the wind deflector's mate. there's a small crack in 1 but might be getting someone to sort that somehow lol. i have been keeping a eye on your thread mate.Fantastic work there from someone who is similar age to me. You got some skill's.
Old 01 August 2011, 11:00 PM
ProdriveTony
Scooby Regular

Good luck mate, looks just like mine did.
Old 19 September 2011, 02:59 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Well started on the new bit's and bob's today. Put my new **** on (oohh errr) ..seat's all secure now put all bolt's in.Got the engine inside as well and started on the strip down, .not going to look for a new block as simply cant afford to now. Surely a open deck can handle 400 bhp max in a few year's. once built and for a atleast 1 year it be around the 300-320 mark.

Here's some pic's of the bit's and bob's:

Dastek and piggy back ecu computer..Along with a new Ecu:P

Inlet manifold. will be stripped back and painted (Best colour's?)

Forge header tank..Need's a clean but not a bad buy:

Td05 16g turbo..no play in the shaft as far as I can feel, Will be cleaned up and maybe ..maybe converted:P

my tein front coilover's...in need of a clean up and other bit's..But there sound with no damage..Not bad for £50 2bh!! just need to look for matching rear's now

Engine itself finally on the stand and dry!!

The Open deckness!!

Also the driver's side cylinder head. .look's in good nick. Any idea what version these are off. . Will be getting the ported/polished/lapped/new retainer's treatment.!!

Also got a fairly good set of exhaust header's . 1 bolt looking a bit iffy as to how it's going to come off but otherwise okay. Will carry on stripping down to the bare block halves...clean all bit's up..get crank checked over.then save up for the rebuild i suppose:P

Last edited by quattroowner; 05 October 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 19 September 2011, 06:37 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

After a bit of thought and deliberation. i have decided to wait on building up a engine and block that's able to withstand 400 target im after one day.

So going to build up this engine with either new-age or forged rod's if i can get them at a good price,acl bearing's new piston ring's,port polish the head,new gasket's etc etc.get the block built by someone who has done it before to save making a boo boo. (api maybe...)

Reason for this being my first Impreza. i would not mind experiencing the standard ish(well maybe slightly more with the TDO5,ECU,440'S,EXHAUST,INLET,FMIC,Certain remap).

Make's more sense really now after having a long think about it today while pulling it apart. No point running before i can walk/stumble.

Here's a little bit of what i got done today anyway:

Fitted the new Fmic with some makeshift bolt's. Need the bracket's for the bottom mounting pounts as hey have gone AWOL!!. Bumper previously been cut for a fmic. However i think a bit more could be taken off and move the number plate??

Stripped off the water pump,sump,baffle plate,pickup,other cylinder head and other bit's ready to get the block split. Didnt take a picture but there was some sizeable particle's caught on the oil pickup mesh. Look's like a big end failure as well. Look's as though they used way to much sealant when re-attaching the sump as there was quite a lot congealed to the side of the sump..Must not of helped !!!

Removed most of the bolt's ready to split the block,Then went to remove the gudgeon pin cover's..the screw's are stuck solid..and looking likely to round them selves.will find something sum how to get them out (As Duncan said before when stripping the old engine i had at mine. Not very often they come out that easily lol)

Also need a bigger allan key to remove these bad boy's!! Mine just aint big enough(oooohh errrrr)

Got some traffic film remover on the way ready to clean the block's and other bit's up. then sent away to get partial rebuild will keep the head's here and look after them.

Not much to update really apart from that.hopefully this time next week block halves are separated and cleaned.crank inspected.
Old 02 October 2011, 12:31 PM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Default car

nice looking motor that and thats my old shell
Old 05 October 2011, 02:13 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Here's a few more updated picture's.

Trying to get my hand's on some long nose circlip plier's for removing from the gudgeon pin's. then i can split the block.:P

fitted up my new light's...just awaiting screw's and stuff for them.

Alloy's on there way..just so i can roll the shell around a bit. left a deposit on the 2 pot rears':P ..4 pot's for the front's. need cleaned up and refurbed but i got them cheap.

Need front bumper indicator's, Pre facelift foglight cover's (carbon or sti ones)
clean the engine bay again with proper cleaner.Rear droplink's

Also set about spraying some part's ( the rear tow hook, exhaust hanger, rear arb,front arb,brake backing discs.) all to be done soon:P

Also bought some detailer and claybar and polish to bring up the paintwork a bit. Also getting some 230 touch up paint for the rear light area as it's got a bit scabby

Biggest Bugger up so far is i have managed to loose the key for the car!! lord now's how. Rather annoyed by that. If i dont find it im rather buggerd for option's 2bh

Well heres a few pic's for you guys

Last edited by quattroowner; 05 October 2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05 October 2011, 02:16 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Oh and the interior's pretty much sorted:P

Old 05 October 2011, 06:43 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Ill have a look for a complete lock and ignition set. Im just hoping it turn's up somewere. Cant be far away as the key's either been in my house or in the car!!.

Cheer'z duncan...i managed to improvise a little bit with some wire and a screwdriver to get them out. Took the nearest side out first then tapped the Gudgeon pin's out with a long metal "thing" that i jammed a snooker cue end on to. All 4 came out pretty easily once lined up and found the room. cant thank you enough Duncan for showing me when stripping the silver wrx's old engine on how to do it properly.

With that all done and all pins labelled and bagged Etc: splitting the block wasnt to bad.little persuasion on the dowel's and away she came.

Once the crankshaft was removed and cleaned up i took all the bearing's out (main and little) and degreased and cleaned them to try find the spun bearing...Nope ..nothing that would suggest a spun bearing or damaged crankshaft journal. Checked the crank journals and all smooth..couldnt see or feel any scratching or defects to the journal surfaces. i will have a better look tomorrow at the rest of the crank and the block to see if i can find any thing wrong( one hope's not)

Well then i had a little bit of a laugh..as i totally overlooked it when taking it off (somehow!!!) no3 Conrod has gone all Michael Flatley!! So i checked the bearing and no3 crank journal again. . Still nothing major that i could see or feel.

All piston's seem in good nick to be honest but i havent checked them properly.Will do that in the proper light of day.

Gave the block and part's a quick deagrease and powerwash....Now awaiting for my mum to bugger off so i can "Borrow!" the Dishwasher:P

Well here's a few picture's guy's:

Also decided to give the daily a wash and a claybar and polish and wax . . Before all i have done is throw a bucket of water over it and a wipe and said it's clean....

Decided to buy some meguirs gold class car wash,,detailer and clay bar.. . .Well and a fiar differance from normal. I know the paintwork is riddled with scratches,Ding's,mark's and other ****e. But it does look a hell of a lot nicer...Claybarring the car made such a differance...(only did the bonnet and boot) Made the paintwork as smooth as glass. . Well chuffed.

Old 10 December 2011, 08:17 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...hoto0653-1.jpg
Old 03 January 2012, 07:07 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Well not much has happend to the scoob.

Few thing's in the pipe line over the next few week's or so.

Swapping the Green alloy's for genuine P1's with vredestein tyres.
Front bumper and bonnet hopefully sold so i can start going facelift( Sti v6 bumper anyone?):
Along with the forge header tank as i think it's to blingy for the engine bay setup im wanting..

Will also be sticking with a TMIC for the time being for several reason's (Not really needed for the power im going for on this engine,saves pennies for the forged build)
Hopefully got a swap with a alloy bonnet for the fmic kit

Whats happening at the moment: . . .

The cylinder head's are getting stripped down,lapped in,new valve stem seals,and measured in to tolerances (DuncanGTR) top lad

Just bought a full 3" decat blitz nur spec r exhaust off Lewis Another top lad

Engine block all cleaned up, ,power washed,sealant stripped of the sump,oil pick up cleaned out along with the sump.

STI carbon fibre strut brace for the front on it's way

Rear arb getting painted RED and refitted with new droplink's

Hopefully replacing the Gearbox and diff oil in a few week's if fund's allow just yet along with under-sealing the arches.

Organise the trip down to get my 4 pot's (bloody hate overtime!! )

All in all there's some progress but nothing exciting, . . Atleast my interiors finished bar CD player.

Just Time and money now

Few pic's for anyone interested:

Old 08 January 2012, 08:33 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Well swapped the old Green alloy's over for some original p1's with carbon oz racing center cap's Vredestien tyres as well. Certainly fit the look for the scoob.The look i am after so im happier now.

Carbon fibre sti front strut brace on it's way aswell

Will hopefully pick up the 4 pot front and 2 pot rear's,C-west front bumper,facelift alloy bonnet all on wed's (along with 2 A2 Quattro front wing's) all to fit in a little seat leon

Will give it all a good clean and that before any more pic's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0679.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	7505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0677.jpg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	7506  
Old 09 January 2012, 03:50 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

My ***** Waving Begin's!!:P P1 alloy's fitted Along with a STi carbon front strut brace

Old 27 January 2012, 02:06 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Recieved some facelift fog cover's off "The Trooper" Top service mate.Sent out at "12:54" i think..Arrived in 24 hour's!! Cheer'z mate there all good.

Other than that there is no real updates apart from saving up pennies to really able to afford this car !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0705.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	7710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0702.jpg
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	7711  

Last edited by quattroowner; 27 January 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02 February 2012, 04:02 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Got the downpipe all fitted up to the rest of the exhaust, went to tighten the bolt's the last turn, Ratchet snapped, , along with the bolt, witch ment the ratchet head went full force into my nose and broken it for the 4th time!! yet i still gotta go work at 6 !! .

but i did get another bolt while i was in turriff after a wee trip to the hospital, then the downpipe was sorted. Phew.

Spent £150 on a car cover and it arrived yesterday, 4 layer stormforce thing, , really good quality and waterproof. Fit's the scoob perfectly

Also gave the car it's last wash before it heads indoor's,Also some arty photo's (Attempted) at the alloy's Loving the anthracite !!

Any idea were i can get the center caps refurbed??

Old 07 February 2012, 02:42 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Wee update here and there. Got myself some nice and shiny Gucci Bit's :P With a remote i may add!! what's the legalities of this,especially nowadays with Plod pulling everyone for no reason! (Im sure im being harrased 5 time's this week..3 times by same copper 2 time's differant, In Aberdeen and Inverurie, just for spot check's!!) It's only a bloody unmodified properly driven 1.4 silver leon!!

Rant over

Alpine headunit 60*4 Watt with mp3 and ipod connectivity . . Look's rather Gucci i say. This and the fog covers are the best thing's ive bought of the old scoobynet

Anyone recommend some standard fitment door speaker's that will maybe help with the bass and clarity? ( I am a bit of a hardstyle, Trance nut sometime's)

Old 07 February 2012, 10:00 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Looking good! I see you still have the front bumper, i take it you didn't get the alloy bonnet in the end?.
Old 07 February 2012, 06:33 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Hey mate

aye it's slowly getting there. The white front bumper and splitter and pre facelift alloy bonnet are all still here and for sale mate, No room or need for them.

My new bonnet (facelift alloy in 230 white and grille) should be arriving tomorrow after a few problem's with courier's.Did a swap for the FMIC and pipe's to Will On here and SS.net.

Some update's tomorrow
Old 07 February 2012, 10:04 PM
malevolent_sti
Scooby Regular

Reminds me of my old Classic

Oh how I miss that car!

Keep up with the good work
Old 11 February 2012, 11:20 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

New bonnet and Grille are here. . .Will get pic's up asap.
Old 12 February 2012, 03:13 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Spot the Differance! :thumbsup:

All fitted and went well, Awaiting a new bumper of Sporticus in 230 white, , Decided not to go ahead with the blue one.

What do people think?
Old 17 February 2012, 04:47 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Front end is now nearly finished, Paint the fog's...find a splitter and hey ho happy day's

Old 17 February 2012, 08:00 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hard to tell in the pics, what colour are the fog covers?

Maybe an idea for you, as they are dark, paint them anthracite to match the wheels. Bit of contrast against the white.

Also, you possibly already realise, that bumpers been cut for a front mount, and sorry to say this, but, it doesn't look that good with the earlier lights and grille.

P1 replica splitters can be had fairly cheap on Ebay.
Old 19 February 2012, 12:50 PM
LEE-WRX
Scooby Regular

Looking good so far mate But would have to agree that the crystal V5/6 headlights and grill would freshen the front up a lot better and make it look a lot nicer tbh
Old 19 February 2012, 10:05 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very interested to know if the air ducts behind the bumper still line up when you change to the 99/00 bumper, or if those need changing as well maybe?
Old 19 February 2012, 10:27 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

as a side note/minor issue

i had a forge header tank that looked nice nice,
but when put cap on it didnt sit horizontal as i presumed it should.

thought the neck had been welded on at wrong angle, but the secong i got was the same

result is when cap fully closed its a fair bit out from horizontal, which the standard cap fit son the standard tank?, not wht i would call impressive tbh.

maybe theyve sortd that by now - not a major issue , but when paying a premium you expect a premiun quality product.
can put pics up if required?

Last edited by jef; 19 February 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 20 February 2012, 03:25 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEE-WRX
Looking good so far mate But would have to agree that the crystal V5/6 headlights and grill would freshen the front up a lot better and make it look a lot nicer tbh
Aye they will bud, I have stuck the original lights and grille up for sale, in case anyone wants them, No idea on price so its a guide price on the for sale thread, Cant even remember what i payed for them

Originally Posted by v5 man
I'm very interested to know if the air ducts behind the bumper still line up when you change to the 99/00 bumper, or if those need changing as well maybe?
They All still line up as they should mate,Need a few more bolt's and screws etc to fit the arch plastics properly but it fits all okay.

Originally Posted by jef
as a side note/minor issue

i had a forge header tank that looked nice nice,
but when put cap on it didnt sit horizontal as i presumed it should.

thought the neck had been welded on at wrong angle, but the secong i got was the same

result is when cap fully closed its a fair bit out from horizontal, which the standard cap fit son the standard tank?, not wht i would call impressive tbh.

maybe theyve sortd that by now - not a major issue , but when paying a premium you expect a premiun quality product.
can put pics up if required?

Hey mate

Cheers for highlighting that mate, Did it all still seal okay?,No Leaking Coolant, Feel free to post up pics bud, the Forge header tank is up for sale any way,To "Blingy" for my liking to be honest. . A Lot cheaper than others i have seen for sale.

Thanks guys
Old 18 May 2012, 02:37 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Cars up for sale £1800 as is with engine etc etc. Pm for more details please
Old 08 October 2012, 12:39 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

NO LONGER FOR SALE!!

Well not much has actually happend to my scooby to be honest. Sold the engine to a guy from up near Rhynie, lovely chap to be honest.

in 2 minds as to what to do with the Blitz nur spec R, going to take it off and store it as it wont be any use for when it gets mot'd!! (anyone got a ful standard system going? for mot time?)

The 4 pot calipers are still in bits, ready for paint then to be re-assembled if anyone is interested in them ( SS pistons and genuine seal kit) Also got 2 pot rears going.

mainly trying to fund for a decent engine that i can drop straight in that wont be to stressed from the TD05 16g and injectors and a reasonable remap.

Whats up next is to give the alloys a clean and tire gel then store away,then the lovely job of re-undersealing!! then paint it white!

So anyone know any good (possible uprated ) engines kicking around or wanting rid off. must not require a rebuild

Will update with proper progress asap

Quick Reply: 1995 JDM White Classic (Search For 400/400)PicHeavy