Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

DIY FMIC Project....

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2002, 07:09 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get your *** back in the garage and finish it off , I'm dying to see the finished product . I might have to have ago myself seeing that it can be done . Great thread keep it up

[Edited by Big Bear - 5/1/2002 7:12:17 PM]
Old 07 January 2002, 04:36 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edited as yhm.

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 7/1/2002 7:04:31 PM]
Old 09 January 2002, 11:27 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

A couple of pics.. more to follow..

My DIY attempt

Edited cause i is stupid

[Edited by tweenierob - 9/1/2002 11:28:39 PM]
Old 05 February 2002, 12:31 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Right then.. due to the encouragement I pulled my finger out and went and did some work... but fooked up by breaking the intercooler... Shouldn't be too hard to fix... If it wont then Ill buy another. **** Happens..

Piccys...

Bottom of intercooler after it got attacked with angle grinder and hacksaw...

Close up of end... Dont worry Ill clean it first..

Aluminium Plates...

Cut a plate to fit in hole, doesnt fit yet... out means facing out.. its also numbered no 1 as both sides are different.

Different view

Fits now...

Still fits.

Bottom plate.. was going to grind welds off but got a invite to the pub instead (and it was 8pm... far too late to be not drinking..)

Offending weld, and mucky workbench... think somebody might be after me... they clipped a big crocodile clip to my work bench!

Oops pushed it in too far

Thank **** I dont cut it by hand... no I havent been beating one off on it.. its metal cutting lubricant..

I knocked the ******* thing off the top of the welder... onto some bits of wood that live on the floor so the car will go over them.. had to land on the only one with a nail sticking out! WANK3R.. Sure it can be mended.. if not did I mention this one has a built in bleed valve..

Nice bit of firewood (old pallet from some cement from garage extention.. I knew I should have binned this when I did the garage!) free to good home!

Dont get excited thats it... and I didnt take the camera to the pub so tough...

Same time, same place tomorrow..

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 5/2/2002 12:34:37 AM]

[Edited by David_Wallis - 5/2/2002 12:44:10 AM]

[Edited by David_Wallis - 5/2/2002 12:47:24 AM]
Old 05 February 2002, 01:25 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

While I am a fan of DIY mods, this is a bit extreme. Most people dont have a machine shop behind them to do the cutting/lathe/milling and other operations. ( though I am quite handy with an angle grinder ) While a TIG is certainly handy, £1000 sounds like a cheap TIG...and then learning to use it?? I had been quoted nearer £2500 for a good one. I gave up on that idea too while I was making an intercooler for another car. Is all the work really worth it when you can buy a kit off the shelf that will bolt straight in, and out again if you decide to sell up!! Lets see you fix your inlet manifold now! For those looking for big intercoolers, it is possible to buy the cores seperatley in a large variety of sizes ( and not too expensive )so you can make your own end caps to suit your car. I prefer the easier approach now, maybe im getting old, or just a little wiser. Ive botched up a right few jobs in the past. eg mini turbo ( full weight ) runs 14.4 @ 101 mph ( wheelspin to 80 mph and will kick the *** of a lot of subarus ) and 79 granada 4.6 V8 twin turbo ( still being botched up as i type ) and the "relatively" standard legacy turbo estate!!!
Good luck anyway!!!!!

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 5/2/2002 1:25:51 AM]
Old 06 February 2002, 01:38 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not sure how that happened but definitely at the top.

[Edited by stephen30 - 6/2/2002 1:40:03 PM]
Old 10 February 2002, 04:19 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

between the "sharks fin" mixing jet and the braided hose
or I could just say in the end of the braided hose.
got a pic somewhere, thought I'd already posted it tho.

EDIT : I bloody did too Page 29 down near the bottom, should help.
Andy

[Edited by Fuzz - 10/2/2002 4:24:13 PM]
Old 05 March 2002, 12:06 AM
Scooby Regular

What about any of the old bits you cut off the top off the intercooler?, or I am sure something could be made up using some flat alu plate. Form a curve then attach sides to it?? A tube isnt always necessary to make pipes etc..
And regarding the puncture hole one one of the tubes...if well cleaned up, araldite or chemical metal will make a good repair. The pressure acting on such a small hole is quite small, and can be repaired without too much bother.

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 5/3/2002 12:10:47 AM]
Old 06 March 2002, 12:34 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

corner..

think i need to get myself out of this chair and into bed..

edited to add my corner..

[Edited by David_Wallis - 6/3/2002 12:35:10 AM]
Old 10 March 2002, 07:47 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Doh... Thats crap then... Thats less than std isnt it?

scoob 3 bar map sensor?

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 10/3/2002 7:47:58 PM]
Old 10 April 2002, 12:25 AM
Scooby Regular

Yep, 3 bar + is the way to go. I bought the 2.5 bar from ebay cheapish, sec hand, thinking I would have been happy with a 20psi limit. DUH!!
Dont forget that the 3bar also means 3 bar absolute, which will be 2bar positive pressure. It should do for your 28psi target. It may even read slightly over 300Kpa
Only place Ive looked so far is PJ Motorsport, they seem to offer them for £52 incl VAT. Might order mine soon
http://www.pjmotorsport.co.uk/products.asp?category=enginesen

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 10/4/2002 12:28:56 AM]
Old 10 April 2002, 08:45 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Last nights pics..

Downpipe bolted up under car about to be tack welded in place.

One radiator bracket removed..

Needed to cut one of the bolts holding the turbo to the up-pipe as the ones I fitted were too long.. pissed around with mini cutting wheels in the diegrinder and got fed up after an hour... My bodge..

Downpipe partly welded to flange... opening side out..

Piece of xr2 exhaust cut open then hammered around and cut.. (took a couple of hours.)

Downpipe cut to match.. Hacksaw, jigsaw, file.. used anything that was close..

Different angle..

Inside edge of plate...

Couple of small welds so we could hammer it a little bit more...

Welded up...

View from inside..

After cleaning and been painted with high temperature paint.

Different angle again..

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 10/4/2002 9:24:18 AM]
Old 23 April 2002, 08:51 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

You may or may not have read my other posts about wanting to do this... well Yes I am mad and Yes I am doing it... pictures will be posted every couple of days (or every time I do some work..)

The New Intercooler...

Its New Home..

Engine with old intercooler allready removed.

Old Intercooler...

Inlet manifold turned around to see how much it would hit the bonnet...

Dont quite think it will clear it!

Engine Without Inlet Manifold..

Inlet on garage floor..

Throttle body positioned... looking to see what needs moving, whether the belts will clear the pipes... and how big the plate needs to be..

I then stopped because I dropped this on my finger when taking it off.. and all my Dad could say is that you are supposed to put a piece of wood on the bed of lathe.

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 4/23/2002 8:56:46 AM]
Old 23 April 2002, 09:07 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

OW OW OW OW OW!

Looks promising, David. I like the idea of turning around the manifold to shorten the path. How are you going to get around the problem of it being physically too big???

Must meet up for that beer sometime...

Nick.
Old 23 April 2002, 09:14 AM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

David

What is the intercooler off ? Can you post the sizes of it ?

Good luck with this, I watch with interest

Andy
Old 23 April 2002, 09:31 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

erm... dont laugh but its off a MANN lorry.. and cost £30...

It should just fit if I move the radiator back by a couple of inch and move it down a bit... the inlet manifold isnt going to be turned around... Im making a plate to blank off the original inlet.. and I have made an mdf template of the new piece to go onto the front, this has been given to a friend who is off to find someone that does laser profiling / machining to make me one up cheap... this will then get tig welded to the front of the inlet...
I will then drill and tap the plate and bolt the throttle body on... there is only one pipe that needs to move and that is the one to the idle thingy valve.. Intercooler measurements I am unsure of... think its 26" x ? x 3" Will measure it tonight..

Will need to make new brackets for the alternator.. and drive it with an aircon belt... power steering will be fine if I alter the part on the throttle body where the cable attaches.. (take one of them bits off.. (Thats technical speak )

Nick no probs... Allways up for a drink!..

With anyluck Ill finish it before my ban runs out!

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 4/23/2002 9:33:37 AM]
Old 23 April 2002, 03:28 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Andy

YHM

David
Old 23 April 2002, 08:02 PM
Sparks
Scooby Regular

Looks interesting.

I thought the IC was the original topmount from a Sunny / Pulsar GTiR as they look quite similar.. maybe one of those would fit too ?
Old 23 April 2002, 11:29 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Cossie Convert Mark

How did you remove the 90 degree angle on the turbo ? Looking at the pictures here its part of the turbo housing, was it expensive & what sort of gains is it worth with the TD5

Mark A
Old 23 April 2002, 11:51 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

David, thanks for mail You got me thinking now !!!

In answer to your 'Q's on other thread, I used the same pump that Power Station sell, I used an FSE adjustable regulator, I ran all new lines from filter to main fuel rails and back to the FSE which I mounted by the filter. I'll try and get some pics at weekend.

If you go the direct turbo feed route you can mount the MAF in the inner wing area connected by a 90Deg hose, but a nice big diameter slow curve one !!

Mark A, I've not removed it yet, when I do, the 90deg bend will be attacked with a hacksaw prior to a bit more detailed work on a milling machine.
The remaining inlet 'stub' can be machined to have a sleeve fitted to mount the inlet (75mm samco ?) hose on.

When Pat done his TD05 he had it done to the same spec as the rally boys use, that way he could fit a restrictor and sell it as a GpN or GpA turbo when he moved on up the turbo ladder.

[Edited by Cosie Convert - 4/24/2002 12:15:38 AM]
Old 24 April 2002, 08:33 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Andy... You Know it makes sense... unfortunatley youve got me thinking also... I may raise the inlet 20mm whilst Im at it just in case.. Presume your just using two gaskets?

Pictures would be good!

Do you have aircon on yours?? If so could you take a photo of the alternator, powersteering and aircon drive belts?? (Particuarly the air con mounting brackets..??

I rung demon tweeks and they are going to send me there catalogue so I can look at swirlpots (Then Make my own )

Im sure I saw some fancy injector rails somewhere, so I might try and find pictures and make my own...

MAF In the innerwing... your having a laugh... You cant have ABS on yours then... Once my HKS Air filter is in the inner wing there is no room at all.. think I may try and put it where a fog light is...

I need more room.... more money and more time...

Edited to add core size... H14" x W21" x D2.5"

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 4/24/2002 8:34:45 AM]
Old 24 April 2002, 08:40 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Day 2 Pictures...

Sorry photos are a bit ****... just trying to get everything...

Throttle body gasket, Inlet Blanking Plate made up, and mdf template for welding to inlet manifold.

Car with radiator removed..

Radiator out of the car.

Intercooler with ends chopped off..

Ends sat on the bench...

Turn your head... (I havent got photoshop at work.. )

The hand is an optional extra, and you wont see it when the bonnet is shut.. (checking to see what needs to move..

And again..

Blanking Plate in place and painted.

Checking to see how to fit alternator...

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 4/24/2002 8:54:40 AM]

[Edited by David_Wallis - 4/24/2002 8:55:34 AM]
Old 24 April 2002, 09:20 AM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm Like the look of that intercooler Got any more

I don't have aircon. I look forward to your alternator bracket solution ! It looks a bit of a pain !

I don't have ABS either as it is an RA model. You may consider leaving the 90 degree bend in place and mounting your MAF and inlet cone under the bonnet scoop for a bit of cold ram air effect ?
Old 24 April 2002, 09:32 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

I thought about that but was considering putting an oil cooler there but have heard bad things about that... So probably will.. thought about making a box same size as the intercooler and then mounting a filter in that... so it can only take air from out side..

The have loads...(its a truck breakers yard) If you want one I can go get you one and ship it up to you, unless you are ever in leeds... or I can give you there number and ask them if they will ship??

The alternator fouls the bracket but if I remove the bar that goes across and reweld it nearer the edge it should just fit.. otherwise Ill just have to cut it and brace it from the other side... This is assuming I am running it off the front pulley along with power steering.. other wise I will have to fabricate a new bracket (Probably will do... so I can incorporate the adjustment) which will line it up with the back pulley on the crank.

David
Old 24 April 2002, 10:30 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
David/Andy,

I can't help on the "aircon" solution, I just ditched mine, but, there are several types of Alt' bracket available. I used the "ally" version, which with a little modding, allows the alt' to just be flipped over.

Also, if you use the later TB, which is shorter, the IM can be reversed, and the bonnet will shut, although not if you're raising the IM by 20mm.

Mark.
Old 24 April 2002, 10:41 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Mark..

Im fairly sure that the idle stablizing valve (or whatever) would still foul the bonnet.. What / where can I get the ally alternator bracket from?

David
Old 24 April 2002, 12:50 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

Great stuff David, this is proving to be the most fascinating thread on here for months. Keep the updates, trials and tribulations coming.
Old 24 April 2002, 01:43 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
David,

You should be able to pick a bracket up from Scoobysport, or someone like Grade A.

The ISC isn't an issue on mine, but then I don't use one....But I'm sure Pat does, I'll check with him.

Mark.
Old 24 April 2002, 01:45 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Nice to hear that... Dont worry I've got more plans yet (not just intercooler)... May even post photos of the car when I bought it.. (crash damaged..)

Its a lot easier to take photos now Dad has got a digital camcorder.. not the best photos but hey... When its working Ill post an mpeg!

David
Old 24 April 2002, 01:48 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Ive got a friend out at the moment trying to get hold of piece of Aluminium to machine the plate out of... hopefully that can be made tonight! Also hopefully will get me a new spot weld drill bit (if you've ever used a blunt one you'll understand!) so I can remove the old radiator bracket.

David

Quick Reply: DIY FMIC Project....