Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Primer Question

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2011, 10:26 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Primer Question

Hello everyone, I am having my car painted in April (thats the earliest time I can have off from work ) Same colour just a refresh! But I have new wings, bonnet and front bumper to go on.

So I am going to do most of the sanding ect myself and then hand her over to my painter for her to finsh bits that I may have missed ect.

A week or so before my week off I will be giving him the panels in order for him to paint the insides and then give them back to me in order for me to fit them ready. He is a great painter and I will ask him but thought i'd get some advice anyway

In order to save time, I was thinking maybe he could also primer the outside of the panels too, fit them, fine rub them down again ready for final paint.

Anyway my question is - if he does this would it affect the final paintwork because some panels would be primered one week and the rest another?

Or do you have to primer in one go?

Thanks Claire
Old 19 February 2011, 10:35 PM
stiggy wiggy
Scooby Regular

If your car is open to the elements then you may have problems as if you sand the primer down it becomes porous (absorbs moisture) which may cause issues further down the line,

As for priming panels one week and then others another I can't see that being a problem.

Hope that helps
Old 19 February 2011, 10:37 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most painters won't paint over your work anyway - they prefer to do their own primer as they know what they are working with and can be sure that the paint won't react afterwards.
Old 19 February 2011, 10:45 PM
stiggy wiggy
Scooby Regular

As above, unless you have prepped to a high standard before in the past most painters would prefer to prep themselves or let somebody they know, as you can be the best painter in the world but if the prep work is cack (not saying yours would be) the end result is gonna be cack.

You'd be surprised how many new panels I've seen dented or with defects on them, not always a case of a quick key up.
Old 19 February 2011, 11:14 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

as others have said, you may be best leaving the painter to do the prep after all if you do something wrong, the painter will only have to put it right or he may miss it and paint over then you will be left with imperfection under the paint, the most important part of the job is the prep get it wrong and it will be poor job.