Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

ENGINETUNER..my project 'wolf in sheeps'

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2011, 07:14 PM
jimbo14prodrive
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ENGINETUNER..my project 'wolf in sheeps'

Well i bought my first ever subaru in october 2009, a standard 2005 sti ppp type uk in blue with the intentions of leaving it standard because 300bhp was quick enough and have loved every minute of it, after about 3 months i put on a whitlineline rear adjustable arb and front strut brace (which transformed the handling), DBA4000 slotted discs and performance friction pads, goodridge brakelines and 5.1 fluid, prosport oil temp, pressure and boost guages in a defi center dash pod, afterburner vortex back box, cosworth panel filter and a racedynamix remap which took me to 331bhp and 281lb/ft torque. After a year she still felt quick but as often read.....wanted more lol and even considered buying a noble but resisted and glad i did...
After lots of conversations with alan and martyn from enginetuner i finally took the missus on a 380 mile drive to plymouth for a little 3 day trip and also after deciding what was the best way to go we come up with......
sc46 billet turbo
750cc injectors
sfs silicone inlet pipe
rcm headers/up-pipe (wrapped)
turbo back 3" mongoose system (downpipe wrapped)
perrin stealth fmic
turbosmart 3 port boost solenoid
pipercross induction kit
helix uprated clutch
ecutek remap (martyn)

Wanting to go the stealth approach i have also now fitted a zunsport black full grill to hide the already black perrin fmic ,

Well the answer...was it worth travelling all those miles, costs of hotel, meals and keeping the missus happy? dam right it was, expecting just over 400bhp and after ringing alan to find out if the car was ready he went on to tell me that she produced 440.7bhp @1.5 bar with more to come but the ecu was now holding her back and with the addition of something like a syvecs would exploit the full potential, after a test drive with alan in the car, it went on to amaze me the shear acceleration lol and couldn't believe how responsive the sc46 is....it felt quicker response wise and as quick if not quicker to spool as my vf35, it sounds awesome now at full chat and sweet as a nut, i love the turbo chatter noise, on with the savings now for a 2.1 stroker and syvecs should see me with a bulletproof 4 door family saloon with supercar performance,
Thanks to alan, martyn and the boys at enginetuner, you are car gods and explains why your workshop is full of some rather tasty scoobs and evos etc, well done and keep it up, see you again in the future

regards, james.
Old 10 February 2011, 07:23 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice one James what a great result..... Im doing mine in stages, but will also includes an SC46 very soon (end of the month)

Thanks for sharing with us...

Rob

PS have you considered coilovers?
Old 10 February 2011, 07:30 PM
jimbo14prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Nice one James what a great result..... Im doing mine in stages, but will also includes an SC46 very soon (end of the month)

Thanks for sharing with us...

Rob

PS have you considered coilovers?
hi rob, yes i shall be looking at the bc coilovers in the near future, i read lots and spoke lots about turbos, basically narrowed it down to the sc46 or md321t and dont regret the sc46 one bit, it spools brilliant and sounds awsome on wind up, good luck with your project, you wont regret it.
Old 10 February 2011, 07:44 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimbo14prodrive
hi rob, yes i shall be looking at the bc coilovers in the near future, i read lots and spoke lots about turbos, basically narrowed it down to the sc46 or md321t and dont regret the sc46 one bit, it spools brilliant and sounds awsome on wind up, good luck with your project, you wont regret it.
I have issues with car at the moment and as such its currently in the 'garage' being worked on, however quite a few items are lined up ready to be installed, and one of these items in a set of Raceland coilovers... I started a thread on here about them which may interest you, however it appears there is a lot riding on my feedback which isnt happen with the car being garaged

Anyway if your interested : https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...group-buy.html

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 10 February 2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 07:51 PM
MalcB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great result !!!

I echo everything said here about ET. ET did a great job and continue to do a great job on my Bog Standard looking Wagon (Stealth again !). I went the other way. Started with a 2.1 stroker with SC36 producing 345 BHP. Next stage will be an SC46 with 3" exhaust, headers, FMIC etc

Last edited by MalcB; 10 February 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 08:06 PM
jimbo14prodrive
Scooby Regular

cheers rob i`ll have a read and malcb you will not regret the sc46, what does the 2.1 drive/ sound like?
Old 10 February 2011, 09:02 PM
MalcB
Scooby Regular

cheers rob i`ll have a read and malcb you will not regret the sc46, what does the 2.1 drive/ sound like?
It'll be a while before I get that far. The 2.1 was done about 4 months ago and have now done about 5000 miles. Drives very very well. Torque comes in nice and early and is so easy to drive around town but get on the open road and it pulls like a train all the way to the red line.

Last edited by MalcB; 10 February 2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11 February 2011, 08:01 AM
jimbo14prodrive
Scooby Regular

Sounds awsome how long did you have to run it in before a proper map could be sorted and what did alan recommend about oils and changes?
Old 11 February 2011, 08:16 AM
MalcB
Scooby Regular

Sounds awsome how long did you have to run it in before a proper map could be sorted and what did alan recommend about oils and changes?
Ran standard map uo to 1000 miles
First map made 330 BHP relatively mild
Mapped again at 4000 miles (my choice) made 345BHP with about 1.3 bar boost. Torque went up nicely to 340 ft/lbs.

Oil changed at 50 miles (ET), 500miles, 1000miles and 3000 miles. Did the last 3 myself. Alan drove the car for first 50 miles to make sure everything was OK.

Last edited by MalcB; 12 February 2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11 February 2011, 02:21 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Told you that turbo was the way to go james glad your happy with it mate.
Your plans sound identical to mine , coilovers this weekend meth map 2.1 or 2.3 and twin plate next mate.
Its mad how now on b roads 5 or more car overtaking in one go is the norm lol
scoobyclinics sc46 billet is the bisso
mick
Old 11 February 2011, 06:36 PM
jimbo14prodrive
Scooby Regular

hello mick yes you did, i love that turbo... the noise is very addictive on wind up lol i put in an uprated helix single organic clutch, drives like standard and holds the power no probs at all. just how far do we go lol its mad with jap....just endless tuning if you have the money when you getting ya forged engine build?
Old 11 February 2011, 07:41 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I can get the money mate
Works crap at mo so no onetime etc it's killing me
Need my power fix lol
Old 12 February 2011, 09:05 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Sound like an excellent result that.

How well does she pull from 60-70 in top?

What sort of mpg you getting these days?

This setup could be an option for me.
Old 25 February 2011, 04:09 AM
jimbo14prodrive
Scooby Regular

Hi matt, mpg is probably the same as before, maybe abit better, obviously when you wind her up the fuel consumption is erm....... well not very good haha but the you dont expect 440bhp and 60mpg lol, throttle in any gear is now very crisp and pretty instant, considering the perrin fmic, martyn has done a good job as there is no more lag than when i had my standard top mount intercooler. Im very chuffed with it as u can guess lol
Old 19 July 2011, 01:00 AM
partyondude
Scooby Newbie

Hi Jimbo,

Are those 750cc injectors really necessary, or will this work also with 650cc Power Enterprise injectors on a 2003 Dutch STI?

I'm very interested in this turbo, results sound amazing! I have a Deadbolt TD05H20 right now, in combination with a Perrin FMIC and some more goodies.

How about the internals? Is the standard 2 liter strong enough or is the torque a little limited to save the engine? And what kind of upgraded clutch are you using?

Last edited by partyondude; 19 July 2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 19 July 2011, 07:19 AM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Good result. Looks like I need to consider a different turbo
Old 19 July 2011, 07:40 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by partyondude
Hi Jimbo,

Are those 750cc injectors really necessary, or will this work also with 650cc Power Enterprise injectors on a 2003 Dutch STI?

I'm very interested in this turbo, results sound amazing! I have a Deadbolt TD05H20 right now, in combination with a Perrin FMIC and some more goodies.

How about the internals? Is the standard 2 liter strong enough or is the torque a little limited to save the engine? And what kind of upgraded clutch are you using?
The answer to that question lies in how much headroom you want left in the injectors and what you have in the way of fuel system modifications.
If for instance you are running a Walbro in tank pump and standard fuel reg, the 650s would need to be ran quite close to the limit, where the 750s would still have a decent amount left over.
If you have an adjustable reg and a Bosch 044 in tank and raise the base fuel pressure a bit, the 650s would cope just fine.

In our experience and that of a fair few now running them, the stock Sti motor is very capable at around 400-470bhp for road use.

Martyn
Old 19 July 2011, 08:35 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
The answer to that question lies in how much headroom you want left in the injectors and what you have in the way of fuel system modifications.
If for instance you are running a Walbro in tank pump and standard fuel reg, the 650s would need to be ran quite close to the limit, where the 750s would still have a decent amount left over.
If you have an adjustable reg and a Bosch 044 in tank and raise the base fuel pressure a bit, the 650s would cope just fine.

In our experience and that of a fair few now running them, the stock Sti motor is very capable at around 400-470bhp for road use.

Martyn
Well having had mine mapped again yesterday for the third time, Im yet to get it on a RR to see what figures it is actually pushing, but Im still on Standard Pinks I was at 400bhp give or take before yesterdays map, which has now put me at 97% duty with a FPR running 20% meth . I had some PE 650cc, but sold them on as I was going to go over 400bhp, but as your fully aware things soon change
Old 19 July 2011, 09:54 AM
partyondude
Scooby Newbie

Martyn
I use a Walbro and the PE 650cc's for a couple of years now, mapped by Mark Verhoeven (EMS in Holland) and close to 400 hp if I'm not mistaking. I use euro98, to build my system over to E85 is quite expensive and the fuel is hard to get, I have no FPR inside.

What kind of injectors does the TS uses then?

When does it deliver 1 bar of pressure?

And, between 400 and 470 is quite a gap What can the engine handle without cracking? Now it's still running to the redline like an idiot with that TD05 with the standard clutch, but when do you guys say with a SC46 and the standard 2 ltr engine internals, ok, this is enough, go home and enjoy

Last edited by partyondude; 19 July 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 19 July 2011, 10:29 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally can't recommend the ID1000 injectors enough, great low speed manners and plenty of room for later mods.
I have never been one for this "when does it make a bar" mentality, there is so much more to it than that. The transient response of the SC turbos has to be experienced to be believed, in many cases spooling faster than the VF series turbos we are removing from the cars in question.

We have tuned many stock engined Stis at levels over 450bhp which are going strong some 4 years later.

Martyn
Old 19 July 2011, 11:21 AM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

What sort of torque figure would the Helix clutch fitted to this car handle . I appear to have upset my twin plate Exedy by using the Racerom flat foot shifting a little too often .
Old 19 July 2011, 11:53 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Dan
What sort of torque figure would the Helix clutch fitted to this car handle . I appear to have upset my twin plate Exedy by using the Racerom flat foot shifting a little too often .
I have had a Helix Organic at 400bhp, and it handled the power perfectly, just like a standard clutch, in fact its up for sale on here

They can and will take some abuse, but at the end of the day imho they are a fast road clutch not a competition clutch, so you need consider what it is your going to be doing with the car. I did a round at Elvington on it

If your interested its here with plenty meat left
https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...t-6-speed.html

Regards,
Rob
Old 19 July 2011, 12:39 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...We have tuned many stock engined Stis at levels over 450bhp which are going strong some 4 years later.

Martyn
Younger/less miles/stronger New Age ones though, right?
Old 19 July 2011, 01:07 PM
partyondude
Scooby Newbie

My 2003 STI did about 56.000 miles, most of them in the current set-up with a lot of high speeding in Germany (175+ miles p/h for longer periods of time ), never had any engine or other hardware problem. Stock 2.0 semi closed deck engine and TD05 appears to be pretty strong?