Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Competition Version 3 STI

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2009, 04:46 PM
shifty83
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Competition Version 3 STI

Right then all, with the imminent collection of my new STI next saturday, I thought i would start my diary/log of the development of my car and out line in which direction im heading with car Also for those that are bothered, it can keep them up to date where i am with the car and use any info i can provide to what has and hasnt worked for me with the car

Right then, first and foremost, this WONT be a polishers car. As much as i like my cars clean, i wont be spending 12 hours cleaning it for a show the following day for it to enevitably ran

My aims with the carare to make it a competitive car on the both the strip and sprint series Easier said than done as im sure many will tell me, but one can only try and with the tuners that are local to me, i think its an obtainable goal

A little about the car. I have Bought a 1996 Version 3 STI with a reasonable 70,000 miles for a cracking price of £3300. Comes with a few bits on the car already in the shape of Storm Tornado Cat Back exhaust, De-cat, Downpipe and HKS Filter. These i may change as im a bit sure as to whether they are going to be up to the task of what im looking for from the car, but we'll see in due course. To my knowledge there are no chassis modifications bar a set of 17" Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 so obviously plenty of attention require on that front. Brakes may as well be standard, so they are being replaced with the Group Buy K-Sport 8 Pot Conversion (nice one Group Buy )

I will be taking the car for a health check to make sure everything is as it should be and shall be taking the car to Santa Pod on the 9th August all being well to see what kind of times/terminal im hitting at the minute. Obviously no sprints this year, but maybe the odd track day

I'll make regular entries to keep all informed of any developments

cheers all

Last edited by shifty83; 17 July 2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10 July 2009, 05:09 PM
shifty83
Scooby Regular

A few Pictures of the new project:

Old 10 July 2009, 05:36 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

First Mistake

It's a version 3 not a version 5. I have one myself (Type R though) that's slowly turning into a 600bhp GT35R fed Closed Deck 2.5L Monster. (also documeted here in the projects section)

Judging by your pics the car's in good nick.
Good luck with the build
Old 10 July 2009, 05:50 PM
shifty83
Scooby Regular

cheers daz...sorry my mistake, all new to this. (Mod please ammend thread title if you would please) Your build sounds good mate. Went down the 600bhp route with my old evo 7. Got very expensive and family problems left with me with no option other than to sell it. But persevere with it, i wish i had with my Evo, but family always come first so had to give.

Not planning on 600bhp....however something along the lines of the Scooby clinic 450 conversion
Old 10 July 2009, 09:35 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Should make a lovely car

Incedently my best mate has a Norris built 6 GSR.

Pushing around 650. Lovely motor. Certainly easier to achieve those figures on an Evo
Old 10 July 2009, 10:17 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

Looks a smart car Chaz , you could do the sprint at pod next month. Has it been re-mapped?
Old 11 July 2009, 10:32 AM
shifty83
Scooby Regular

whats the date rob?? Might pop along. As far as im aware it hasnt but not 100% sure. Mr Bulmer will be dressing it with a nice hydra unit like yours mate. Was really impressed with how your car performs mate
Old 11 July 2009, 11:30 AM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

Have a look at Scooby Sprint Championship i think its the 23rd aug, i was 2nd at the last one at elvington , im also in TOTB this month. The Hydra is a good bit of kit mate 2 maps, anti-lag, launch control etc..
Old 11 July 2009, 11:59 AM
shifty83
Scooby Regular

The precise reason for wanting to use it mate. Im at pod on the 9th august but will pop up on the 23rd as well for a nosey mate. Good luck in TOTB mate, not going this year i dont think. Will be making a start with the car pretty much from the off. Been too long since my VII was on the road
Old 16 July 2009, 07:14 PM
si2000
Scooby Regular

Very nice mate look forward to seeing the end result
Old 17 July 2009, 05:27 PM
evonorth
Scooby Regular

Your new name is shifty is it mate,
What happened to the name chav,
Would you not of been better getting a sti ra mate
More focused and lighter,
Best colour in white though mate
Old 17 July 2009, 10:43 PM
shifty83
Scooby Regular

hey north mate, how you doing?? wouldnt let me use chav for some reason?? so just used my email address instead.

Had a look at the STI RA as this would as you say have been the better option, but couldn't find one worth buying or worth the asking price. I've paid peanuts for this tho mate so not all lost.

How's your 8 running mate?? Not seen or spoke to you for months

chav
Old 18 July 2009, 08:20 AM
evonorth
Scooby Regular

Hey up chav,,
I am fine mate,
Still got the evo but am getting abit bored now,,
I am doing totb then it maybe for sale,
See ya has a meet on sunday where most of the old members are going
Old 19 July 2009, 08:32 PM
shifty83
Scooby Regular

Bit of an update. Got the car home from liverpool with no dramas and was pleasantly suprised by its performance. I would hazard a wild guess at it running around the 280 - 290bhp mark. Very nice power delivery Only criticism with the car is the speed limiter is still fitted so that needs removing ASAP lol.

Well after getting car home, it was straight round to my mates work to get it up on the ramp and have a good gander. Car seems nice and solid, no corrosion or rot, nice and straight and no evidance of previous damage

Started getting some weight out the car...so far the wheel barrow wheel is gone, jack/tools have gone, back seats are gone along with boot carpet etc. Was going to make a start with the air-con but ran out of time so that will be next weeks job along with the fitting of a walbro pump

I'll get some pictures up once camera has charged up but nothing of real interest to be see just yet.