P1 - 450/450

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2009, 11:55 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 - 450/450

Right guys and girls.

after much debate on either to sell up or take my p1 to the next step i have settled to mod the p1 i am not sure if this really qualifies for a project as i am will not be doing the work myself but have and am using tuners such as subaru4you at the begining and now API for the rest but i thought i woul dpost it up and will try and keep you upto date with the steps and pictures along the way. so below is a little history on the car and steps that have gone on to now and where it is going in the near future.

i picked the car up about 2 and a half years ago after my father passed away from pancreatic cancer and i ahd owned 3 impreza prior a 98 uk turbo ppp, 96 plate wrx, 02 plate uk wrx and always wanted one but was worried about the engine failureso never bought one but after my dad passed away i figured life was to short so went out and found a w reg p1 with 72k on the clock, AP 6 pots, 18" p1 alloys, TSL decat centre + TSL Thunderstorm back box. It had the bouns of a new clutch and engine from a subaru dealer as it went pop about 2k before hand with full history and the ap's had just been overhauled so i thought it would be the safest option to buy one with everything of high value being replaced.

so to be sure of it not going bang agian i booked into Bob Rawle for a mapping session. i wanted to see some gains so in went a TSL pannel fitler and a TSL deact diwnpipe, a set of defi (oil temp / pressure and boost) gauges and a knock link sensor thenm off to bob, who as normal worked his magic and i ended up with somewhere arouned 320/320 at 1.45 bar or there abouts. it was the run hassel free for a few months when the rear struts decide to go so off to the guys a subar4you for a st of KYB adjustables, whiteline anti roll ar, antil ift kit and rear alloy drop links.

i ended up 6 months later and alomst a year of ownership that i had not delt with my dads death very well and had ended up 24k in debt on a loand and credit cards so i had no choice and sold up for slightly more than i paid for it 11.5k and bought a vectra as a run around and continued to live like a hermit and pay everything off which i achieved last year in october. so then the hunt started for a new car and if it was going to be anything it would be another p1 as i loved mine to bits and never wanted to sell it. it was a tuesday afternoon at work and i popped on pistonheads to have a look for one only to find MY P1 for sale so i called them up and it was the same chap i sold it to. it has only been up for one day so i told him i would be up on the saturday with cash and as long as it drove fine i would buy it and it did so it has been back with me since october and i have loved every minute.

now back on the modding route the clutch started to slip on the way to pick up a 944 for a mate so i went shopping for a clutch and ended up going to API for one of their organic clutches and lightend flywheel but in the back of my mind i always wanted to build a 400bhp+ p1 and i did not want to build it and be scared of the box going so at the sametime a 6 speed box from a 04 plate uk sti and matching diff and prop etc went in, so now the gearbox was in place. The orginal ap's had been removed by the guy i sold it to so i was speaking with david and he had a set coming in so i snapped them up and went back a few weeks later and had another set of AP 6pots fitted and 330mm disks to a bonus of finding out that i have braided hoses on the front and back.

so now on to the engine i have spoke to most of the tuners and out of the ones i have spoke to i honestly can say that david and the guys at API have been the pick of the bunch, he has gone above and beyond sorting out my gearbox advice, brakes and all the honest and straight to the point advice on the engine build it will be off to them to fit a forged 2.5ltr, oil cooler, baffled sump, md321t+, gtII headers, 740cc injectors, hybrid fmic, simota induction kit, simtec (via mr rawle), fuellab fuel pressure regulator, walbro 300 or bosch 044 fuel pump, samco hosing, parallel fuel rails and some other bits and bobs i have no doubt forgot.

so thats my bit for now and i will keep anyone interested, in the loop up and upto date from now untill the finish.

any advice from people on the same path or who have the finished end result i would welcome your pointers.

kind regards

steve
Old 06 July 2009, 02:14 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Steve, seems you've eared this one the hard way...all the best with the build, have a looks-see at my project thread for a DIY efforts. Have a look at the Solaris ecu before you part with your hard earned

Ian
Old 06 July 2009, 02:55 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

thanks ian, i will have a look can i ask why you went for a solaris then?
Old 06 July 2009, 04:21 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by stevie1982
thanks ian, i will have a look can i ask why you went for a solaris then?
lol, thats a will be; I'm still on my old Power FC

It does everything I will ever need and has proper knock correction.
Old 06 July 2009, 05:24 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

ok i will have a look and see thanks for the advice
Old 09 July 2009, 12:16 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

Go for it Stevie.

I have had my P1 modified by a tuner as I lack the knowledge myself.
People will still find it interesting as many read my thread.

You wont be disappointed with the final result, as I still believe the P1 is the perfect base unit for modification.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...p1-600bhp.html

Feel free to pm me

Last edited by SkullFudge; 09 July 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09 July 2009, 05:04 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

thanks skullfudge i have read some but not all of your project i thikn i am up to page 22 with yet another 50 odd to go and it still keeps getting added to.

i can do some bits and bobs but would rather the bigger stuff to be done by someone in the know and david has been more than helpful with everything, taking time to answer all my questions even on bits that he will not be supplying.
Old 09 July 2009, 05:37 PM
StuS
Scooby Regular

I'll be interested to see how this thread progresses, as I'm thinking of asking API to do a 500bhp(ish) build for me. They're fairly close to me and seem to have a very good reputation
Old 09 July 2009, 06:34 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Stu I can not fault davidand the team at Api, they have carried out my 6 speed conversion and just fitted my AP's. David has gone above and beyond to help me sort out this conversion and I would not take it anywhere else now. They will in my opinion give you straight and honest advice and won't sell you something you do not need to do the job. Ha maybe we could work out a little group buy with the
if anyone else wants to get in and they agree to it of course
Old 09 July 2009, 07:20 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

Looks like this could be a dual thread here fella's

It's mad how my P1 thread has gone Steve. Keep reading & catch up

It has developed into a thread that contain all the maddest Impreza's in the UK.
Hopefully one day you will be one of us
Old 09 July 2009, 08:53 PM
StuS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SkullFudge
Looks like this could be a dual thread here fella's

It's mad how my P1 thread has gone Steve. Keep reading & catch up

It has developed into a thread that contain all the maddest Impreza's in the UK.
Hopefully one day you will be one of us
Grrrr... stop encouraging me SkullFudge!

I've been um'ing and ar'ing about getting a proper built engine sorted out for a while, but after reading your thread and seeing the 'real thing' at Santa Pod I'm totally convinced that it's the way that I want to go. I'm not sure if I'll ever achieve an absolutely stunning car like yours, but if I manage to get something with a decent bit of power then I think that I'll be happy.

Right. I'm off to check the bank balance...
Old 09 July 2009, 10:04 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StuS
Grrrr... stop encouraging me SkullFudge!

I've been um'ing and ar'ing about getting a proper built engine sorted out for a while, but after reading your thread and seeing the 'real thing' at Santa Pod I'm totally convinced that it's the way that I want to go. I'm not sure if I'll ever achieve an absolutely stunning car like yours, but if I manage to get something with a decent bit of power then I think that I'll be happy.

Right. I'm off to check the bank balance...
Go for it Stu
Old 10 July 2009, 02:55 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

so stu do you have any idea of the overall spec and parts you are looking to fit as it looks like we are on the same track
Old 11 July 2009, 11:37 PM
StuS
Scooby Regular

Sort of.... I think

The car is primarily a road car (though I may be persuaded to do the occasional drag and/or track day) so I was thinking of increased capacity to get some more low-down torque. A 2.5 may be the size of choice, though I've seen people have nice results with 2.2 and 2.35.

I'm currently running at 400/375, and I'm looking for a serious increase. Previous upgrades have given me 20 or 30 bhp increases each time, but I've got used to them too quickly and wanted more, so I'm thinking of aiming for around 500/500.

I'm thinking of a 2.5 with a 321v at the moment, but as I haven't spoken to anyone about it seriously yet it's still subject to change

Edit: Should add that I'll probably need other stuff like stronger clutch, oil pump(?), 3" exhaust, injectors etc etc etc

Last edited by StuS; 11 July 2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff...
Old 11 July 2009, 11:53 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

It's a long & expensive haul to reach a genuine 500+Bhp, but worth it
Old 12 July 2009, 03:29 AM
Fai17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SkullFudge
It's a long & expensive haul to reach a genuine 500+Bhp, but worth it

I'll agree with that
Old 12 July 2009, 09:39 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Well stu I think you are heading on the right track.

Just a small update I have managed to come across a

MD321T
RCM headers and up pipe
NISMO 740cc injectors

all off the same guy and for a very tidy price to so I can not complain. Although I
am
not sure if the 321T will manage 450/450 but it will be close enough and I
can always sell it on at a later date for a bigger one the bonus is with the money I have saved it has freed up some cash to consider having the block linered as I was not intending to due to the extra cost.
Old 12 July 2009, 03:21 PM
Fai17
Scooby Regular

You don't have to get a CDB relinered if you go for one of Enginetuners 2.1L stroker engines

But if you where to get one relinered i'd go all the way to a 2.33, 2.4 or even a 2.5 one from Penninie

A MD321T would be awesome on any of these engines but imo lacks the push of some of the bigger turbos that is out there!But a T does make a really good car for back roads.

So it really depends on the car that you are after.
Old 12 July 2009, 07:22 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

I will be using the car for a back road weapon and track day tool.

As for the block I will be sticking with the standard block I have in it at the moment as it was replaced around 18k ago when the original went pop.

I was after the extra torque so was going for the 2.5 and due to the fact of the cost is less than a 2.35 as far as I am aware any way. For the 321t or 450bhp linnering the block as far as I know is not needed but I thought it would be an idea if at a later date if I want to go a little further and aim for more say a rcm500 or 321v the block would be ready for it and I would only need the turbo and larger injectors.