Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

MY05 road car to track car. Advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2008, 06:03 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 road car to track car. Advice needed...

Right, this is my winter project. I'm new to the Subaru world so be gentle. I'm based in Herts and would prefer to use local companies. I've used Mocom and would happily use them again.

The car will a track car, stored in Germany. Done 8 Ring trips this year so decided to leave it out there for 2009, a decision helped by and offer of car storage and accomodation.

For starters its a MY05 Impreza STi PPP recently remapped by Mocom so circa 330bhp and 320lb/ft. Power wise it's ok for now...

Brakes: I'm happy with the standard Brembos and PF pads and discs but open to suggestions. I run both OE 17's and Prodrive (PFF?) 18's so any other calipers would have to fit under 17's.

Suspension: I've scanned the relevent section, I'm after a more track focused set. What coilovers would you recommend? Whiteline ARB's seen a common choice so iwill ask Zak to order some in.

Roll cage: I'll be doing >200 laps of the Nordschleife and after seeing the aftermath of a awful crash on Sunday I'm looking too fit one. I don't want to strip too much of the interior out, the rear seats are already out. What cage options do I have? and places to buy and fit?

Downforce: I'd like some form of front splitter to improve front end grip and reduce understeer. I've seen the Powerstation carbon front splitter but it's not cheap, cheaper, different alternatives?

A lot to take in but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Old 25 November 2008, 04:53 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll answer what I can, but hopefully some of the others (who have more track focused cars) can help out too.

Brakes: I'm happy with the standard Brembos and PF pads and discs but open to suggestions. I run both OE 17's and Prodrive (PFF?) 18's so any other calipers would have to fit under 17's.
Having changed from the standard Brembos to K-Sport 8-pot Front and 6-pot Rears, I have been amazed by the improvement. Not only does the car shed speed much more quickly, but it brakes flat (no nose dive) which allows me to carry more speed into the corner. If you have a big budget, then I would go with AP Racing brakes front and rear.

Suspension: I've scanned the relevent section, I'm after a more track focused set. What coilovers would you recommend? Whiteline ARB's seen a common choice so iwill ask Zak to order some in.
Yes, the Whiteline ARB's and ALK are worthwhile mods especially if you want to track your car. I would suggest 24mm Rear and 22mm Front ARB's, but your needs may be different depending on your driving style. A user called 911 did a lot of testing with various diameter ARB's, so do a search for that thread, it's worth a read.
I would suggest either AST or EXE-TC coilovers. Both are very well regarded. Both will allow you to easily adjust your damping for track use. Both suppliers do various models, depending on your budget. I run the EXE-TC fast road kit on my 05 STi and they are awesome when compared to the stock suspension.

Downforce: I'd like some form of front splitter to improve front end grip and reduce understeer. I've seen the Powerstation carbon front splitter but it's not cheap, cheaper, different alternatives?
Try HT Autos for a cheaper splitter.

Hope that helps a bit, just my 2p worth.