KYOKUDO RACING - Project KRI - Sprint/Hillclimb Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2008, 02:25 PM
Kyokudo Racing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYOKUDO RACING - Project KRI - Sprint/Hillclimb Scooby

Hey girls and guys,

How's it going? Wanted to make a project page about my current personal project. Hope you guys dont mind.

Quick introduction about me:
Daniel J Vella, 22 years old and live on the tiny island, Mslta (the little island in the middle of the mediterranean). Hobbies - Japanese cars, racing, tuning and modifying them and have been wanting an Impreza since I was 12 believe it or not. Finally at 22 managed to save enough money to upgrade from my Toyota Starlet GT Turbo (which was also built for sprint events and was the FASTEST Street Legal FWD till I dismantled everything).

The car I choose:
The car I always wanted... a Ver V WRX-STi Type-R. The car came with some good mods to start with. These were SARD Analyze ECU, OHLIN's Coilovers, CUSCO Topmounts, NARDI Steering Wheel, SARD Air Filter, HKS Plugs and Catback Exhaust. Some pics of the car when I had bought it...

Let the modifications begin:
First few things were asthetics really. Had to get rid of the orange indicators and wheels and got some crystal clear one and a set of Rota Bronze GRAs on the car. After a week of owning the car had to do something else to it. Main thing was to get rid of the tyres and replace them with a new set of TOYO R888 which made a major difference in the car's handling. Next up was a good oil change, front mount intercooler, uprated manifold, downpipe and decat. These made a major difference in the car and its potential was finally starting to show.

Week later a problem which I wasn't aware on scoobies popped up which resulted in piston failure. Took a few mates for a spin and while going round a corner on the right hand side, car cut out violently (fuel starvation) and immediately piston gave way. Its useless crying over spilt milk but look ahead and get it better. Was undecided to do the work myself or not seeing that I was used to everything in smaller sizes due to always working on starlets. At the end decided to do the work myself and we'll see what the outcome will be.

Spent a week thinking on what was best to do. New stock pistons or a minor overhaul of the engine for the time being with some good parts.... Minor overhaul was the decision and ordered the following goodies for the engine.

ARIAS 92.5mm pistons (with moly skirts and ceramic crowns)
PAUTER connecting rods
COMETIC MLS Headgaskets,
ARP HeadBolts,
ACL Race Bearings,
COSWORTH High Volume Racing Oil Pump

Should be a good start keeping in mind everything is going on the stock ODB.

I also had bought a Quaife Dogbox with an uprated front clutch diff for the Scooby. Funny thing was I had bought the Dogbox before I actually bought the car, but I knew the box was a major let down on scoobies and after braking 5 of them on my starlet I decided would be a good investment for the Scooby. Clutch I went for a CUSCO Twin Plate clutch kit cause I'm sure it would withstand up to 450bhp (as thats the max limit I'm looking to have at the moment).

Next major worry was what turbo to get. Didn't want anything big, because I mainly was looking for mid range power and a power output of around 380-450bhp. After some thinking decided to go for a GREDDY TD05H-18G which I'm sure it will be up for the job. Some pics of the stock VF28 and Greddy turbo...

Next were some fuelling mods that need changing. Main things were the fuel rails and stock fuel pumps. As for fuel rails ordered some uprated fuel rails with them already modded to be in parrallel than in series. Apart from the rails ordered some 800cc injectors to be on the safe side (obviously won't be going on the car until I get a Standalone). As for the surging problem, a friend of mine who has a purely hillclimb built impreza advised me that with the uprated modded Sti fuel pump I would not have the surging problem but the problem I have is that I cannot find it for sale anywere, so at the moment fuel pump is on hold until I find more details regarding it (plus I dont really wish to put in a surge tank at the moment.

Some other mods which I have bought for the car are:

BLITZ SBC I-Color, BLITZ DC II Boost and EGT Gauges, GREDDY Rad Cap, HARD RACE Engine and Tranny Mountings, POWERFLEX Bushes, TOP SPEED Adjustable Rear Arms, TEIN Hood Dampers.

Thats for parts which have been bought till this point, now for the work on the car. Decided to start of with the gearbox first to take out which was quite straight forward. Looking at the box seems like the DCCD is leaking from somewhere. Havn't really looked carefully at it till now. Next was the engine to come out. Was surprised on how easy it was to take out. I think the Starlet one is more of a pain in the *** to take out. Took the intake manifold off, heads off, pistons out and at the moment splitting the block. More to come soon plus more pics to come soon aswell

Let me know what you guys think please,

Daniel J Vella,
Kyokudo Racing Japanese Performance Cars in Malta
Old 10 October 2008, 04:52 PM
Flo555
Scooby Regular

Very nice car.

Soon witt much power
Old 10 October 2008, 11:54 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Interesting project, if you don't find the answers you want here try joining us over on bbs.22b.com where things get a touch more... technical
Old 19 October 2008, 10:13 AM
Kyokudo Racing
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tip mate. Will have a look there This week the injectors and YUMMY fuel rails arrived (they look lush). Hopefully the engine parts will be arriving next week. Just have to wait and see.
Old 23 October 2008, 05:35 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, mate