Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

nurburgring weapon starts here....

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2008, 08:51 PM
messi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nurburgring weapon starts here....

I recently made the pilgrimage to the nurburgring nordschleife in my 96 plate wagon.It's my second trip there the first was 3 years ago on my kawasaki Zx6 an all together different experience.

The recently purchased scoob needed a new drive shaft some brakes and tyres,with only 3 weeks to sort it there was no time for upgraded stuff and not enough money.

i know the track quite well but you need the tools for a worthwhile trip so my plie is some advice in all things upgrade when it comes to brakes and suspension and anything else that will help..

For anyone who's not been to the ring it bites so you wanna stop when you wanna stop and feel planted doing it.tyres are mighty important cos the get hot and lose grip i found.

i'll wait for some replies to this post and discuss further so's you don't get bored of reading a epiloge that this is becoming.

96 silver scoob wagon

factory WR upgrades

17" prodrive wheels

quickshift gears

240 horses ( NOT TESTED YET BUT FEELS ABOUT RIGHT)

Yokohama Parada SPEC- 2

Brakes standard new but knackered (AFTER ONE LAP OF THE RING)

thanks for reading....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01821.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1957  
Old 20 September 2008, 09:25 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

It dawned on me reading your thread that the last time I went to the 'Ring was May 2000

Anyway at that time my car was quite nicely balanced for the 'Ring and my experience level of driving it (two years and several track days). Our tuning options back then were fairly limited, I was running about 240 brake and 250lbft on an MY98 UK Turbo saloon. Suspension wise I had adjustable coil overs on 275lb front springs and 225lb rears, I'd ditched the 2 pot front brake (which are rubbish) for a custom made set of 304mm diameter x 28mm thick discs on separate bells and Brembo 4 pot calipers from a a Lotus Esprit/Pug 406 Coupe and Ferrodo DS2500 pads all round along with braided brake lines. These would fit under the standard 16's but I was running some 17's and Bridgestone 215x40x17 S02 tyres (no longer available).

Now, for your car I would suggest:

Brakes

Change the front brakes for an AP 4 Pot (the 6 pot kit is overkill IMHO) or Stoptech kit which will fit under 17's, unfortunately they won't fit under the wheels that you have because the spokes run too close to the stock caliper and won't clear any 4 pots unless you fit thick spacers (bad idea)

Suspension

Change the suspension for either the KW coil over kit or better still (but hugely more expensive) a set of EXE-TC coil overs. If that is all too rich for you try to find a decent set of Sti pink inverted strut dampers and some Eibach lowering springs.

Fit a set of Noltec adjustable pillowball top mounts, if you use the car mostly on the road go for the version with the bushed pillowball rather than the solid mounted ones

A set of Whiteline adjustable Anti-Roll Bars would be a good investment 24mm dia front, 22 rear, along with their billet, or even adjustable drop links

Front and Rear, upper and lower chassis braces (Whiteline or Cusco) would be a wise investment.

Engine

The biggest restrictions on your engine are going to be: the top mount, the exhaust and the ecu.

If you haven't already done it; invest in an up-rated Walbro fuel pump and an Aeromotive/SX adjsutable fuel pressure reg.

Then look at replacing the complete exhaust system with a 3 inch bore stainless system with an open neck down-pipe.

After that it would be worth replacing the ECU with something like an Apexi power FC or better still a plug and play Solaris.

Ditching the stock slanted top mount for a new age WRX or STi version is a good option, but it is a bit involved, surprisingly the Front Mount intercooler option is probably easier!

By this time you will need bigger injectors, a set of 440's will suffice, but 550's will give you more head room

Your stock Turbo is a TD05, but with a 90 degree entry, which is a little limiting, when funds allow see if you can swap it for a hybrid TD05 18G with front entry. A front entry turbo will entail getting a little creative with the inlet manifold, fitting lifting spacers to get the pipe work in place, but it will be worth it.

You should easily be running around 350 brake 320lbft after that little lot

Wheels

Stock 17" new age WRX rims with the 5x100mm PCD will bolt straight on, what you need are rims which will clear 4 pot calipers. Tyre wise for the Ring a set of Toyo T888's, Michelin Sport Cups or Bridgestone RE070's should be a good compromise

Hope this helps!
Old 20 September 2008, 11:47 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id focus on the chassis brakes. When I was last there I had 100bhp but what I really needed was more brakes tyres and chassis.
Old 20 September 2008, 03:57 PM
messi
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tim W a massive help and appreciate you taking the time for and indepth reply..

It will take time for all these mods to take place but as the car doesn't get used much on the road i can get by with it i the garage having it's birthday treats..

I intend to do track days with it as it's the way to go these days so wanna feel i've got the full package under me..

My next step is sourcing these parts..jap peformace parts have a wide range of parts if you know what your after...certain parts i think would be better from new..

when i was at the nurburgring i was on the ragged edge of the performance of the car with out getting it out of shape..it started t feel boaty and lose in the suspension department and the brakes were useless so hindered me a little..my friend had a masarati with 370bhp and i was crawling all over him..but could only do it for a lap cos the brakes were cooked...don't want overkill just want a nice balanced car and something you can rely on.
Old 20 September 2008, 10:23 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

I forgot possibly one of the most vital things; get some decent seats, harnesses and a cage!
Old 26 September 2008, 12:04 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Best of luck with the project, seems you are approaching it in just the right way...looking forward to seeing another rapid wagon take shape

Ian
Old 27 September 2008, 09:02 PM
bulletproofbob
Scooby Regular

I'll keep watching... preping my wagon for the ring in march!!!
Old 08 October 2008, 10:43 PM
messi
Scooby Regular

cheers...i'll keep just post updated as things happen...
Old 11 October 2008, 09:06 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

I shall be keeping my eye on this one messi, as i too am adicted to the ring thing and am in the process of building a ring weapon lol